Eric Duncan

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

Finally saw Dark Phoenix today. That most frustrating of movies where it’s not a complete disaster, but not very good either. The things that are wrong with it are there for all to see. 

Certainly not as bad as Apocalypse. 

Quite nice to think we’ll get a break from these characters now. When Marvel do bring them into the MCU I hope it’s with individual movies, building up to all of the X-Men.  Just take your time. 

Overall, glad I saw it. At least it felt like they kind of tried, unlike the definition of lazy - Sony’s Men In Black International. 

• Like 1

I also think the cheesiness helped Aquaman. I found the cheesy moments to be charming at times and I think China also loved the romantic parts (which were pretty cheesy to the point of being kind of endearing). It's one of the few times I've seen a movie lean into those elements hard without taking itself seriously (Godzilla KOTM could have had a few lessons from this movie).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I also think the cheesiness helped Aquaman. I found the cheesy moments to be charming at times and I think China also loved the romantic parts (which were pretty cheesy to the point of being kind of endearing). It's one of the few times I've seen a movie lean into those elements hard without taking itself seriously (Godzilla KOTM could have had a few lessons from this movie).

Aquaman was very bad. It had very bad dialogues and many bad acting moments. Visuals were great but you don't only go to movies to see only visuals. 

I never understood the love behind this movie. Wonder Woman and Shazam are legitimately good but Aquaman is just very medicore. 

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol. First of all it completely changes the dynamic of the two main characters and makes it much more generic. In the original and the book, Oskar is a straight up psychopath and Eli is innocent (but kills for survival) while in the English adaptation, Owen is just a normal kid and Abby is just an evil vampire. Also of course the English version never mentions Eli/Abby's sexuality and gender identity. Everything interesting about the characters are taken away to give the audiences something easier to watch. And instead of taking the beautiful coming of age approach to the story that's extremely unique, it took the dumbed down horror approach made to please American audiences. 

And then there is terrible way of storytelling where everything is forced at you instead of letting you think, the awful CGI, and the terrible cop subplot that adds nothing to the story.

Best comparison I can come up with is the Oldboy remake. The original is thoughtful and unique film while the remake is a dumbed down film that removes everything that made the original a masterpiece because the directors think the audience is filled with idiots.

Where did you get the idea that Abby is evil?

11 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Where did you get the idea that Abby is evil?

Moreso that she loses all sense of childlikeness and never feels any pain and sadness for killing someone unlike Eli who really doesn't want to kill anyone and shows it through her emotions. And Abby's the one who lures Owen to be her companion which is something Eli would never do. She's really just a vanilla vampire.

Edited by lorddemaxus

10 minutes ago, GrandierHorror said:

Aquaman was very bad. It had very bad dialogues and many bad acting moments. Visuals were great but you don't only go to movies to see only visuals. 

I never understood the love behind this movie. Wonder Woman and Shazam are legitimately good but Aquaman is just very medicore. 

It’s pretty easy to see why people loved Aquaman, but when you have a certain opinion on a movie you sometimes don’t want to open your eyes to what others have to say obviously.

• Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Aquaman was pretty terrible. Definitely didn’t deserve 1 billion. Shazam and Wonder Woman were way better.

Aquaman was the more ambitious project. Have you seen the cinematography and all the under-water footages?  

Visually it's easily one of the best movies of all times if not the best

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 1

from DL:https://deadline.com/2019/07/spider-man-far-from-home-box-office-opening-record-july-4th-sony-marvel-1202642641/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Hooks $184M+ 6-Day Opening Records For Sony & Independence Day Holiday Stretch

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1