Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

10 hours ago, Macleod said:

The word is that this is .... THREE HOURS AND EIGHT MINUTES long???  Will it be longer that AVATAR???  Sheesh...

avatar 2 I think has been confirmed to also be over 3 hours

On 9/13/2022 at 2:58 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Margot is playing a faux Clara Bow, a redhead from Brooklyn. She was the original "It" Girl and a headstrong wild child-she even negotiated with Paramount not to have a morals clause in her contract. That was the mid-1920s, not the norm for actresses back then. Eventually, she had a breakdown and spent time in a sanitarium, before retiring from acting at 28. So I see what they are going for with Margot's character in the trailer.

The Roaring Twenties are notorious for wild celebrations, add in Hollywood money/glamour and the partying had to be next level.

The charecter actually was Clara Bow in early cast lists but then they changed to a fictional name. Same for Brad Pitt: He was originally John Gilbert (the most famous silent screen star who was ruined by the coming of sound)  but now he has a fictional name as well.

I suspect they departed so much from what happened to the real people they decided to just make them out and out fictional charecters, though anybody with a knowledge of movie history will know who they are supposed to be.

There are still real people in the movie under their real names.Irving Thalberg is still Irving Thalberg.

But this is my most anticpated film for this year.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

James Cameron's thunder will be stolen by this movie. Critics will call this a masterpiece and Avatar will be slammed because critics always choose 1 big film every year that they can tear into for personal pleasure. 

What better to take down King of the world.

Define Thunder.

No way this will compete with A2 at the box office, but I suspect iit will get better reviews and be a much stronger contender for awards. I think  A2 chances  at being a critics favorite and an serious award contender were always small. But it will blow away Babylon at the box office. And I am no Avatar fan.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:55 AM, Maggie said:

Can Paramount end their spectacular year on a high note? This is being compared to Wolf of Wall Street. I was surprised that movie made only 116M

Irony department; CLara Bow was a Paramount star in the 1920'.

I don;t know if it's a good to move this. Avatar opened with only 70M back then. The sequel should open way bigger. babylon could get lost in the shuffle. I predict the Whitney biopic will make some good money too. Is there anything else for the adults?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I don;t know if it's a good to move this. Avatar opened with only 70M back then. The sequel should open way bigger. babylon could get lost in the shuffle. I predict the Whitney biopic will make some good money too. Is there anything else for the adults?

There's a handful of movies either set for wide release or will be expanding around Christmas with Oscar hopes (Spoiler Alert, Women Talking, The Whale) but none of them seem anywhere nearly as obvious a commercial play as this is given the studio/people (both in front and behind the camera) involved. In fact all of those movies will be lucky to clear $20M total, a number this (and the Whitney biopic, which can easily co-exist with this and Avatar) should pass with flying colors.

Edited by filmlover
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There's a handful of movies either set for wide release or will be expanding around Christmas with Oscar hopes (Spoiler Alert, Women Talking, The Whale) but none of them seem anywhere nearly as obvious a commercial play as this is given the studio/people (both in front and behind the camera) involved.

Yeah, thos movies don't scream BO hit.

I hope this does at least 100M.

This news isn't mainstream mainstream just yet, but I do think the one thing hurting this is Brad Pitt. Those accounts of him and Jolie are not very pretty and I'm sure it'll snowball into something really big once this movie comes out that will hurt this project commercially.

11 minutes ago, Eric Adam said:

This news isn't mainstream mainstream just yet, but I do think the one thing hurting this is Brad Pitt. Those accounts of him and Jolie are not very pretty and I'm sure it'll snowball into something really big once this movie comes out that will hurt this project commercially.

Unless he gets arrested or charged with something between now and the movie's release (all of this is nothing but a big "if") I don't think anyone's gonna care. The days of celebrity gossip having Earth-shattering impact are in the past.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ericstein's Monster said:

• Astonished 1