Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

15 hours ago, baumer said:

Since when is north of three hours a bother to anyone here?  Titanic, LOTR, Avatar and other are all north of three hours long.  If the film is entertaining and engaging, no one will care.

Not to mentions such items as "GOne With The Wind", "Lawrence of Arabis" 'Ten Commandments" "Godfather 2" and the list goes on.

Only issue I have is that a film over three hourse should have an intermission. It's called the Human BLadder has limited capacity....

On 10/28/2022 at 12:54 PM, JustLurking said:

Funny you say that because we have intermissions here in Italy and I despise it, just takes me out of the film. Is it really that hard to hold it for 2.5-3 hours?

You have intermission even in big multiplex theatres? In Greece we used to have intermission for even 90minute movies when there were mostly 1 or 2 screens theatres. After big theatre chains took over in the the early 00s, they didn't had intermission and a few years down the line the smaller theatres stopped doing intermissions too.

40 minutes ago, Joel M said:

You have intermission even in big multiplex theatres? In Greece we used to have intermission for even 90minute movies when there were mostly 1 or 2 screens theatres. After big theatre chains took over in the the early 00s, they didn't had intermission and a few years down the line the smaller theatres stopped doing intermissions too.

Yep, even for films that aren't crazy long like TGM (Italy here). Personally I just find it super annoying.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:09 AM, JustLurking said:

Yep, even for films that aren't crazy long like TGM (Italy here). Personally I just find it super annoying.

That is because movies nowdays are not filmed with Intermissions in mind.  Up unti lthe last 70's most three hour movies had a spot for the intermission written in the script.The break came at a good dramatic point in the film.

Weird that the chose to open it on Friday. Most movies in that calendar configuration would either open on Wednesday to mitigate the Sat new year's eve drop or bypass it altogether and just open on Christmas Day.

I'm not one of those cheering this to flop, but this last minute shift from limited to 25/12 to 23/12 seems a bit worrying. Not in the sense that the movie sucks, but Paramount must be really anxious how this will perform with a biggish budget and that runtime etc 

2 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Weird that the chose to open it on Friday. Most movies in that calendar configuration would either open on Wednesday to mitigate the Sat new year's eve drop or bypass it altogether and just open on Christmas Day.

I'm not one of those cheering this to flop, but this last minute shift from limited to 25/12 to 23/12 seems a bit worrying. Not in the sense that the movie sucks, but Paramount must be really anxious how this will perform with a biggish budget and that runtime etc 

It was always supposed to open only in NYC/LA on Christmas Day before the January expansion so it's not like it was that big of a change. Every movie that isn't Avatar knows that the fight for theater space is going to be sorta brutal this Christmas, especially for multiplexes looking to book Way of Water for 20 shows or more a day throughout the entire holiday frame (which, with that rumored runtime, will mean at least 7-8 screens for it).

Sure maybe I was just too optimistic about its prospects because I'm a bit biased. I was pretty confident it will do ok financially until very recently. At some point I remembered that the highest grossing prestigy studio movie post-pandemic is still House of Gucci.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:41 PM, baumer said:

Since when is north of three hours a bother to anyone here?  Titanic, LOTR, Avatar and other are all north of three hours long.  If the film is entertaining and engaging, no one will care.

Not to mention the behemoth that is Endgame.

• Thanks 1