Alli

Babylon - Damien Chazelle; Margot Robbie; Brad Pitt | Paramount | December 23, 2022 nationwide

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Second flop for Robbie this year it looks like, at least she has a Wes Anderson and Greta Gerwig movies coming next year.

Honestly, she just plays the same-y characters lately. She's no Emma Stone, Scarlett or JLaw range/acting wise. She needs another I,Tonya after this and Amsterdam. Thought this would really be her first success since OUATIH.

Edited by Saul Goodman
  • Like 1

Divisive might have been okay if this was a smaller, shorter film but a three hour long movie with an almost $80 Million budget, yeah no. If people want to dedicate three hours to watching a movie this holiday season they're gonna choose Avatar. Sad about it though as I have loved all of Chazelle's movies so far and thought First Man deserved more success. 

Dont know why I was still expecting raves after that awful trailer

Maybe that serves as an explanation, Chazelle focusing all of his energy on trying to prove how "bad" he is and ignoing everything else in the process

This sounds like it’s going to be the definition of divisive. The buzz it’s had all year could be enough to get it in for Best Picture (ala Vice or Don’t Look Up) and a couple of other categories (especially in a year that’s looking to be as dead as this one) even if it really has no shot at winning anything now.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 12:28 PM, Cmasterclay said:

Hated the script for this. Thought the debauchery just felt more unrealistic for the era than edgy or meaningful in any way, and it really was just another "how about the magic of movies" deal at heart no matter how much they dress it up. Hope to be proven wrong by the product on screen. Chazelle is obviously an ace.

Glad my instincts weren't totally off.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

curious to see what's next for chazelle after this atomic bombs.

Was thinking Netflix miniseries, but he already did that. Probably some Apple TV show that nobody but my mom will ever watch. Pretty sure my mom is the only person in the world who watched Bad Sisters.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Where did the hype that this was the greatest movie in decades come from? Margot's team? Hollywood trying to bolster her? Because it was definitely there and even I fell for it. 

cause we've been hearing about this movie for a long time, its a very oscar-baity story and the "epic" script has been leaked since day one