TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

Yeah summer has a hot and heavy 4 week stretch with TG2, JWD, and Lightyear but then it fades going into later July and august. Fairly normal— generally there’s 0-1 big releases in late July and 0-1 in august.

Edited by DS2HaterLegion Confirmed

20 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Less than $700M is disappointing.

May I ask why? Previous Thor films and Guardians films have never crossed $450m OS with no China and Russia markets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juby said:

May I ask why? Previous Thor films and Guardians films have never crossed $450m OS with no China and Russia markets.

Previous franchise movie for MCU isn't like other franchises.

Thor before Ragnarok was ehh. Ragnarok and then Infinity War made huge surge in his popularity, probably only 2nd after Tony Stark. 

Just like DSitMoM wasn't a simple DS2 to 2016 DS, but a sequel to Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame (also NWH) Doctor Strange. 

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Previous franchise movie for MCU isn't like other franchises.

Thor before Ragnarok was ehh. Ragnarok and then Infinity War made huge surge in his popularity, probably only 2nd after Tony Stark. 

Just like DSitMoM wasn't a simple DS2 to 2016 DS, but a sequel to Ragnarok, Infinity War and Endgame (also NWH) Doctor Strange. 

Expanding this.

I think a Top tier MCU film should do $1.5B+ INT. Films like Infinity War, Endgame. Also NWH may be especially if it get sort of date it got.
Mid High tier like DSitMoM, Thor movies, may be GoTG should do $1B+
Mid tier like Captain Marvel, Black Panther 2 $750M+

Low tier like Shang Chi, etc should do ~$400-500M

TBH not like hard and fast categories, but just for gist of it. These are with China.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Minions I think have much bigger minimum guarantee than whatever was SLOP.

Which does not mean that the audiences will be any bigger, of course, it just means that The Minions  were more popular then SLOP ever was and were abel to get better terms.

MY own gut feeling is that the Minions has peaked, and audeinces are simply not as interested in them as they were. A lot of the charm has just plain wore out.

9 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Expanding this.

I think a Top tier MCU film should do $1.5B+ INT. Films like Infinity War, Endgame. Also NWH may be especially if it get sort of date it got.

TBH not like hard and fast categories, but just for gist of it. These are with China.

DS2 would not hit 1B INT even with China, so I think it should be on your mid tier level there. Same with Thor and GoTG to be honest. MCU Spider-Man movies should be in that 1B INT range and probably the only one right now. I have no idea where other MCU solos (i.e. Iron Man, Captain America, etc), MCU F4, and MCU Mutants (X-Men, Deadpool, and others)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Expanding this.

I can agree  with 1.5B+ - avengers/other crossovers and mid range 750m+

The rest though ... No.

Three tiers for me.

High tier - 1B+

Standard -700m-800m

Low.      - 450m+

Standard mcu range in china was around 150m . Let's boost it 200m-250m for standard 400-600m+ for big events.

NWH was an exception ,had a lot of nostalgia pull and massively over performed in europe where CBMs outside avenger films are not that popular.

1B+ OS for titles like thor and guardians are simply ridiculous to begin with.

DS2 with china . 900-950m. It was marketed as an event movie ,if it was marketed as a standard sequel,it wouldn't came anywhere near that 1B+ OS

Maybe we should stop focusing on what they should do box office wise and focus on what they can actually make. Yeah movies  can over perform but your mid high tier is way too optimistic.

• Like 1