TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Variety spoiled Tobey and Andrew's appearance in NWH in like the 2nd paragraph of their review lol

thats always been how variety works, if its just a few cases I imagine it wouldnt be particularily hard to crack down on

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

what does a review embargo have to do with spoilers?

if they can shut them up after the social media embargo I see no reason why they cant do that after reviews come out

Because reviews needs to be free of intermissions from studios. Who decide what´s gonna be in the review is the writer, if the person think the spoilers are needed to develop their ideas or arguments, they must use them or the review would be harmed. Not a single studio can demand the opposite once the embargo drop.

Reactions aren´t reviews, there´s no development of complex ideas that could demand context from spoilers, it´s just a small piece that basically serves for you to say briefly if it you liked or not, so studios can make demands. 

• Like 7

Unless reviews really bump it. This is starting to feel like the batman.

Before presales ,they were lot of high predictions going even as high as 210m but since presales have been just fine expectations have been lowered where by if it opens to just 

150m , most will be happy with that.

Event mcu  movies or movies with major hype (BP)can go 175m+ .

IM3 benefited from. being the first movie after the avengers

NWH and MOM definitely spoilt us.

There is clearly a considerable  limit  to solo mcu outings in regards to box office.

RT prediction

78-85%

155-160M

425-440m  Dom.

Billion will depend on OS.

11 hours ago, CJohn said:

Only big MCU events open above 150M.

49 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Event mcu  movies or movies with major hype (BP)can go 175m+ .

IM3 benefited from. being the first movie after the avengers

NWH and MOM definitely spoilt us.

There is clearly a considerable  limit  to solo mcu outings in regards to box office.

Rank adjusted infinity saga nonavengers OWs (arguably a *slight* lowball given recent atp spike):

IM1 — 191M

Hulk — 109M

IM2 — 220M

Thor — 109M

Cap1 — 103M

IM3 —260M

TDW — 130M

TWS — 143M

Gotg — 138M

AM1 — 71M 

CW — 220M

DS1 — 103M

gotg2 — 169M

SMH — 145M

rag — 146M

BP — 220M

AM&tW — 86M

CM —  166M

2022 150 really not that big. It’s in the blockbuster realm for sure but pretty far removed from say, 2015 150. Don’t need triple juice for 150+, more in the range of a double.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IceFire9yt said:

Btw, what is the current average ticket price?  None of the sites I looked at have updated it since 2019, guessing the pandemic has screwed up getting a read on it.  Are we going to get an updated official estimate this year?

AMC's average price in Q1 2022 (US market) was $12.05, which is almost 16% higher than their Q1 2021 price. 

Cinemark, however, had a Q1 2022 of $9.27 and a Q1 2021 average of $9.25, which is essentially no change (and actually lower with inflation.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Rank adjusted infinity saga nonavengers OWs (arguably a *slight* lowball given recent atp spike):

IM1 — 191M

Hulk — 109M

IM2 — 220M

Thor — 109M

Cap1 — 103M

IM3 —260M

TDW — 130M

TWS — 143M

Gotg — 138M

AM1 — 71M 

CW — 220M

DS1 — 103M

gotg2 — 169M

SMH — 145M

rag — 146M

BP — 220M

AM&tW — 86M

CM —  166M

2022 150 really not that big. It’s in the blockbuster realm for sure but pretty far removed from say, 2015 150. Don’t need triple juice for 150+, more in the range of a double.

How did you calculate these numbers? I think some of these should be way lower. Like how did you get an adjusted $260m for Iron Man 3?

Edited by cmbbox2390

Taika made Ragnarok colourful and fun when compared to first 2 parts...novelty was a factor here and it worked very well.

However i feel he's made Love and thunder with same tone once again which might backfire! Hope i am proved wrong.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, cmbbox2390 said:

How did you calculate these numbers? I think some of these should be way lower. Like how did you get an adjusted $260m for Iron Man 3?

It's rank adjusted. IM3 was the 2nd biggest opening ever when it released. Today the 2nd biggest opening is NWH @ $260M. Not the best way to state that kind of ranking IMO but that's what he was doing. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StormbreakerXXR said:

It's rank adjusted. IM3 was the 2nd biggest opening ever when it released. Today the 2nd biggest opening is NWH @ $260M. Not the best way to state that kind of ranking IMO but that's what he was doing. 

Oh okay. I got a little confused there. I really wonder what all the MCU opening weekends adjusted would be if the NATO posted 2022 numbers. I wish they would start doing it again.

42 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Very curious about reviews tomorrow. I'm thinking O/U 85% on RT. Sounds like another GOTG2 in terms of reception. Hoping it'll be higher

82 RT/65-66 MC. Still will be fine as the actual content of the reviews will likely be saying that it's at least fun. 

48 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Taika made Ragnarok colourful and fun when compared to first 2 parts...novelty was a factor here and it worked very well.

However i feel he's made Love and thunder with same tone once again which might backfire! Hope i am proved wrong.

I doubt it will backfire, it's not like this would be better received if he had made it "dark" or something, generally fun and colorful is good for reception. It's just hard to replicate the surprise/novelty of Ragnarok now that expectations are very high. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

Yeah, GOTG movies were colorful and fun with old hits too and they came out before Ragnarok (GOTG 2 in the very same year) yet Ragnarok didn't suffer from novelty wearing off.  So that shouldn't be a problem, quite the contrary. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Rambo said:

The issue ain't it being like ragnarok ,what I'm hearing it's ragnarok on steroids and it's kind of like a "romcom" and there maybe a tonal clash with Gorr plot which may turn off some buts let's wait and see.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah, GOTG movies were colorful and fun with old hits too and they came out before Ragnarok (GOTG 2 in the very same year) yet Ragnarok didn't suffer from novelty wearing off.  So that shouldn't be a problem, quite the contrary. 

Ragnarok had many hooks. It had hulk playing a significant role after previous Avengers movie and Raganrok story line is so big from Norse mythology aspect as well. So it was not just the taika factor that took it to next level.