TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

33 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yes because critics are known for being so harsh on the MCU

Seeing people using talking points that they made fun of DC stans for making back in 2016 is kind of blowing my mind

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

NWH is an McU movie but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if putting the other Spidey’s in there was Sony’s idea. I mean it benefits Sony the most. Their back catalog of Spidey movies had a huge increase in addition to adding insane hype for the film 

I believe Feige has been quoted as saying it was his idea?  

I think they were contemplating just teasing connecting to the Sony Spidey films in the post-credit scenes, and Feige was like: "Well, what if we just make that movie right now?"

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie
  • Like 1

My point with the Spider-Man thing wasn't about who funded it or which studio contributed to the quality, but that it was much more about the past legacy of Spider-Man the character and less about the future direction of the MCU. Thus, it didn't have the same "listless" complaints that Strange/Thor/etc have received.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TwoTon said:

Seeing people using talking points that they made fun of DC stans for making back in 2016 is kind of blowing my mind

DC fans were claiming Rotten Tomatoes was being paid by Marvel for bad reviews and that Geoff Johns was selling scripts of DC movies to Kevin Feige. This is not the same.

• Like 4

NWH was overseen by Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios and the writers of the previous MCU Spider-Man movies. It’s an MCU movie. There was a key factor outside of the MCU that made people turn out in droves to see it, but from a creative standpoint, it is a Marvel Studios movie. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I believe Feige has been quoted as saying it was his idea?  

I think they were contemplating just teasing connecting to the Sony Spidey films in the post-credit scenes, and Feige was like: "Well, what if we just make that movie right now?"

honestly i think feige saw into the spider-verse that's what happened. convinced the lightbulb went off for him because of that. the writers even said they were originally doing a straightforward Kraven movie for spider-man 3. would've been cool but whatever.

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Endgame and No Way Home has skewed your damn brains. The standards for a "bomb" with the MCU are something nobody would apply to any other film 

This is not really our fault. 

I don't think anyone here think 72% with 6.8 average is a bad grade, personally i'm still excited to see it. But nearly everyone on social media acts like it is awful, what we're gonna do? 

If it's something that don't impact box office i'm sure most won't even bother discussing reviews, but it impact. In just a year we have BW with 79% leading to a smaller OW than expected, Eternals with 47% going from presales that could indicate 90-100M OW to only 70M, DS2 with 74% and then suddenly presales get weak. I think it's fair to discuss that Thor with another 72% will probably also turn into a somewhat disappoint on box office. 

And all of this happened in a span of 1 year, obviously something isn't going very right on MCU since prior this, receptions like this was unnusual and now they're the rule.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My point with the Spider-Man thing wasn't about who funded it or which studio contributed to the quality, but that it was much more about the past legacy of Spider-Man the character and less about the future direction of the MCU. Thus, it didn't have the same "listless" complaints that Strange/Thor/etc have received.

Also Spider-Man is like the biggest superhero now. It’s in a different league.

• Like 1

MCU's recent history is all the more proof that Infinity Saga was nothing short of a phenomenal cinematic history. 

It had its ups & downs but they delivered when it mattered the most, i think both audience and makers will have that struggle.

Audiences to connect with new movies and characters, and makers to generate new and better ideas.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

DC fans were claiming Rotten Tomatoes was being paid by Marvel for bad reviews and that Geoff Johns was selling scripts of DC movies to Kevin Feige. This is not the same.

The extreme ones, sure. But DC stans were saying that there was some agenda against DC the same way he's implying there's some agenda against Marvel to take it down.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Letting it go? You started it lol?

It’s part of MCU and Tom Holland has always been MCU Spider-Man. That’s all I’m saying. Saying it’s not an MCU movie is a bit ridiculous.

Notice how there were no other Holland-Spidey-villains in this?  It relied 90% on SONY's Spider-Man film legacy, not the MCU, as @Cmasterclay is saying.  It doesn't really matter whether it was "set in the MCU" or not -- we're talking about what's centralized in the movie, itself.  And on pure storytelling terms, my controversial hot take is that NoWayHome is/was not nearly as good of a movie as Shang-Chi or even Eternals...but it rode the Spidey-nostalgia wave.  

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Nobody on the planet would sanely describe a 950 million dollar sequel to a 670 million dollar first movie as "diminishing returns" but that's all people have said since Multiverse of Madness released.

Because the movie had bad legs and mainly did as good as it did because audiences were bamboozled into thinking it would be an event multiverse film like No Way Home. The sequel will probably drop.

• Like 3

I do think them announcing the next Avengers movie be it 2024 or 2025, might help things get back to somewhat in order. Won’t be the cure all but I think it’ll help investment a bit.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Because the movie had bad legs and mainly did as good as it did because audiences were bamboozled into thinking it would be an event multiverse film like No Way Home. The sequel will probably drop.

yes I see some Marvel stans talking about how amazing Doctor Strange 2 did for a “Doctor Strange” film. Lol what. It was hyped up as NWH Part 2. The trailer was even attached directly to it: Fans were already going crazy discussing all the potential character appearances and effect on the future of the MCU. Casuals  joined in as soon as Professor X appeared in the trailer. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

yes I see some Marvel stans talking about how amazing Doctor Strange 2 did for a “Doctor Strange” film. Lol what. It was hyped up as NWH Part 2. The trailer was even attacked directly to it: Fans were already going crazy discussing all the potential character appearances and effect on the future of the MCU. Casuals  joined in as soon as Professor X appeared in the trailer. 

The bolded is why Marvel can't blame fandom expectations for disappointment. They put X in the trailer suggesting he would have a pivotal role. It turned out to be a cameo where he keeled over like a jobber. After NWH, if you put crossover character(s) in previews, you know very well that audience expects them to be central to the plot. So it was a deliberate bait and switch and fans (casual and die-hard) reacted accordingly (unimpressive legs). 

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I do think them announcing the next Avengers movie be it 2024 or 2025, might help things get back to somewhat in order. Won’t be the cure all but I think it’ll help investment a bit.

It's no more a novel concept and new characters aren't as popular as OGs. There's no Tony and Cap to hold the whole thing together. There's no superstar character and actor like Tony/RDJ. They tried with Strange but...:shrug:

• Like 2

Marketing for this has just been weird in general. Not only was the trailer mega late but it really didn't lean into being a Guardians team up, didn't lean into any epic threat with Bale's character like they did with Blanchett (even though Bale is a mega star), didn't exploit an apparent angle with Jane that could have moved numbers (no spoilers but you know what I'm talking about). It's pretty much just...."here's another Thor movie!"

• Like 14