Eric Quinn

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

19 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

With a 53+ Sunday, what kind of Monday is expected? 23+?

looking at smh, tdkr, tdk, hp8 1st monday drops don't think it will drop more than 52-53%. 

using 53.0 sun that gives 24.9-25.4

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So new record for animation?

I think it is pure animation since no physical acting was involved. Its just very realistic animation. Objects and the Cat in Toy Story 4 was very realistic. In fact Toys are realistic 😛

dsmGaKWMeHXe9QuJtq_ys30PNfTGnMsRuHuo_MUz

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I think it is pure animation since no physical acting was involved. Its just very realistic animation. Objects and the Cat in Toy Story 4 was very realistic. In fact Toys are realistic 😛

There was one live action scene hidden in there

8 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

This, new record for animation, absolutely. I'm sorry, I get that it's photo-realistic animation, but it's still animation so it counts, I don't care how Disney are marketing the movie. And yes, there's a difference between having a couple live-action scenes in there between all the CG scenes and having ONLY CG scenes.

Edit: Guess it has a live-action scene... oh well.

Edited by AlexMA
not 100% computer generated apparently

2 minutes ago, Molek said:

There was one live action scene hidden in there

Was there? Then I guess it counts as live-action, but that's such a technicality, I bet they only did it so they can be out of the 100% animation circles. Whatever, so which one was it, if it's not a spoiler, thanks.

1 minute ago, AlexMA said:

Was there? Then I guess it counts as live-action, but that's such a technicality, I bet they only did it so they can be out of the 100% animation circles. Whatever, so which one was it, if it's not a spoiler, thanks.

Still could be submitted as an animated film at the Oscars. But they won't.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, LEGO Movie had live action in it. Is that considered animation? Honestly don't remember...

Pretty sure it was eligible for the animation Oscar. You just have to be 70% animation for it.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, LEGO Movie had live action in it. Is that considered animation? Honestly don't remember...

Amazing example, and you are right, The LEGO Movie is considered an animated movie and when it comes to records is ranked among animations, despite having a considerably amount of live-action scenes in it (I have no idea what the live-action part of The Lion King is but I'm fairly positive it's nowhere near LEGO's in terms of runtime).

So yeah, I call studio shenanigans on all of this. The Lion King is much more an animated movie than say The LEGO Movie, so it should be considered that for record purposes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Give me one reason; why will Avatar 2 beat The Lion King anywhere except China and few Asian countries.

Idk what the true nostalgia level for it will be once marketing ramps up, but if it does it will have a lot of do with that December release date. 

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Give me one reason; why will Avatar 2 beat The Lion King anywhere except China and few Asian countries.

I mean, let's wait until there marketing, etc. Never know what Slippin' Jimmy has up his sleeve. No good reason to start doubting him until footage is released.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

They're both VFX tech demos, but Avatar 2 might actually get good reviews?

• Like 2