The Wild Eric

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

Just now, cannastop said:

Are there any qualifications to this?

Are you talking about the 1992 movie?

I liked the new one more than the original although I love that one too. Speechless was incredible and my daughter loved it ( probably why I like it a lot).

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I enjoyed CATS - Official Trailer [HD] more than any movie trailer in my life and I've seen at least 1000+ film trailers.  I would think you value diversity of OPINIONS.

glad if you liked it, even though i find it horrible

1 minute ago, Nova said:

It’s gonna be awkward 30 years from now when Hollywood has no properties to remake cause they spent these last couple years rebooting and remaking their popular franchises. Nostalgia is in right now but there’s only so many properties Hollywood can do this with. 

*This isn’t even a studio problem. So many TV shows I see get reboots and some of them haven’t even been off the air for a decade. At the same time, I can’t fully blame Hollywood either because when they do something original, most of the time people don’t pay attention to it. So I guess complaining about reboots/remakes is useless cause judging by the box office numbers (and TV show ratings) it’s what audiences want right now. 

Audiences don't know what they want. They can only choose what they want out of what they see in front of them, and when those options largely if not entirely consist of corporate brand extensions, that's what the audiences are going to support, because they're actively not being encouraged to seek out anything different. It's a self-perpetuating vicious cycle and an essential cultural problem when you get down to it. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Why is people being optimistic about the movie's performance "insufferable?"

Because what's important is whether you're right or wrong, and can be celebrated or raked as a result... 

This is a competition for a lot of people, and not just between movies, or studios, or directors... but posters, too. And people being optimistic is annoying if you want to be pessimistic... And if what you value isn't the numbers, but being able to use the numbers to validate the time you waste arguing about movies.... then you'll probably find things like "It'll make a billion domestic...." insufferable instead of just an outlandish... and optimistic... claim. 

People need for there to be personal stakes to their discussion... so they'll make them up if they need to. And considering none of us here have anything riding on these numbers.... a lot of people choose to become invested in other ways. "How many reactions can I get..." "How many quotes can I lodge...." "Can I be a bingo square some day..." "How many predictions can I nail..." Heck, I'm no different in some ways, it's a matter of degrees really....

I still think this movie might squeeze over $200mil before Monday morning opens for business, and I'm really curious to see what tomorrow's numbers bring. 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I never said Hellboy was better than Aladdin, because it isn't.  Hellboy is awful.  I said it was better than The Lion King ;) 

That's why I said you must think every single review or opinion is baffling. Its like saying steak from chilli's is better than del Frisco's. 

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

That's why I said you must think every single review or opinion is baffling. Its like saying steak from chilli's is better than del Frisco's. 

Steak from Chili's is a nice way to describe this new Lion King.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I never said Hellboy was better than Aladdin, because it isn't.  Hellboy is awful.  I said it was better than The Lion King ;) 

Is TLK even worse than Green Book???

The absurd TLK predicts were insufferable because they had no basis in real world hype. They were merely people saying that because the original is the most successful animated film of all time, that meant the remake would be one of the most successful movies of all time. Not how it works. Especially irritating was all the “it’s the biggest broadway production ever!!” arguments. What on earth does that have to do with a remade film’s box office? 

• Sad 1