Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Unless the original was terrible? We could semi-agree on that

A Star is Born last year was the third remake of the 1937 film but yet managed to be successful,

I don't see studios not remaking films, they've doing remakes since the dawn of cinema. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

58-60

I don't wanna read something like "ok so 50-55". That will be depressing tbh.

OD is basically hit and trial, from day 2 we know how ratios gonna play so do consider that. Good night.

Correction. Nothing to do with trend, just a typo in calculation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3

14 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Here's a thought: let's not remake anything

Including stuff like Departed (Infernal Affairs)? True Lies (La Totale!)? Hell, Star Wars (Hidden Fortress)? Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai)? The Fly (The Fly)? The Thing (The Thing From Another World)? Or, just the domestic animated stuff and/or domestic live action stuff? There's been a ton of remakes or reworkings of foreign properties that were fantastic films.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

10 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Lion King Overseas thru Saturday...

Territories GBO
China $81.0M
France $11.2M
Australia $8.9M
Brazil $8.3M
Russia $7.6M
Germany $6.6M
UK $6.5M
Korea $6.4M
Mexico $5.9M
Spain $3.7M
Netherlands $3.5M
Other $42.4M

Total $192.0M

thru Friday

12 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Lion King Overseas thru Saturday...

Territories GBO
China $81.0M
France $11.2M
Australia $8.9M
Brazil $8.3M
Russia $7.6M
Germany $6.6M
UK $6.5M
Korea $6.4M
Mexico $5.9M
Spain $3.7M
Netherlands $3.5M
Other $42.4M

Total $192.0M

Friday...

Germany:

Wednesday: 2.3m

Thursday: 1.9m

Friday: 2.4

Total: 6.6m

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Correction. Nothing to do with trend, just a typo in calculation.

That's basically a very low Sat increase. So we're now looking at a $183M to $190M OW, which is still good.

40 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Predictions were 170-210 roughly before Thursday night. Box office pro predicted 185. Don't be ridiculous. Things will continue to "disappoint" in relation to previews as previews continue to expand.

I wish there were a bravo (clap) reaction.. This is exactly right. People need to be a bit more measured in their expectations with the ever changing dynamic of the box office. 

I'm really interested in how well The Farewell is able to expand this weekend. It's giving itself a rather slow expansion, going semi-wide on the weekend of August 2nd (when the only other film is Hobbs & Shaw--incredibly smart move). I definitely want to see it in theaters for sure.

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I'm really interested in how well The Farewell is able to expand this weekend. It's giving itself a rather slow expansion, going semi-wide on the weekend of August 2nd (when the only other film is Hobbs & Shaw--incredibly smart move). I definitely want to see it in theaters for sure.

Can't wait to catch this one...

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

I was this close to posting an angry rant in which all of the words were in bold, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. This is a very upsettingly high OW for The Lion King and bad word of mouth isn't going to be able to fix the problem it creates. Audiences need to learn discernment. Cinema shouldn't be akin to a fast food restaurant.

Yet you champion all those cheap horribly made so called Christian movies?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I thought I was posting an opinion. ...

In my opinion a post using generalizing formulations to down-speak on people who watch other movies as you'd like without even adding 'in my opinion' or similar is judgemental at best.

In a way those kind of post criticise others for their ~ simplified taste, using wordings at least as simplifying the situations as they lament about.

What cinema should be and what not is a purely one-person opinion, varying very much it seems.

What kind of movies even allow cinema movies to still get made cinemas to survive,.... is too often misused to make oneself better per making other less appearing.

~ 900 movies per year nowadays instead of 150 like at times way more people went to cinemas have nothing to do the big ones earning big (sarcasm), only to give one example why certain posts here are simply too..... simple

Btw, I have no interest at all into TLK and similar movies (neither the original nor the remakes), but I do have a strong interest the wordings here in general get back to an enjoyable style.

• Like 6