Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TLK is unlikely to hit the top 6 of 2018/2019 releases alone. An event? More like...

not an event 

can you cut your bullshit for one time ................ you dont like the movie we get  it, stop being annoying/trolling

Edited by john2000
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Well, the only thing that's changed is the studio that's posing the threat, heh.

I still say Apple needs to buy Disney and have me as the lead banker to make it happen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

TLK is unlikely to hit the top 6 of 2018/2019 releases alone. An event? More like...

not an event 

It's going to sell nearly 20 million tickets in a single weekend, of course it's an event, especially for families.  I'm guessing you didn't think BatB was an event either?  Because this is on the same level.  Not everything needs to have mega fanboy hype to be an event, it's still doing well.

• Like 4

One film that I didn't realize was getting an agressive expansion was the comedy The Art of Self Defense. Bleecker Street leapt from 7 theaters to 550 theaters according to Box Office Mojo, and I'd say having a shot at a >$1M weekend gross in that amount of theaters isn't too bad for a distributor that likely has some sort of deal with the Amazon streaming service. I hope the film is able to leap over The Secret Life of Pets 2 and Avengers: Endgame to find its way into the weekend's top ten.

14 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

I still say Apple needs to buy Disney and have me as the lead banker to make it happen. 

They will make a sequel to I-Robot called I-Phone: The Movie 

Edited by jedijake

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Hey, I liked Last Jedi and I'm rooting for Skywalker.

I'm just sayin'. If this year has proven anything, it's that anything can happen.

thought it was obvious I was joking/memeing. Sorry. :)

For what it's worth, 185 x 3.5 gets it to (almost) 650, so that would be a very very VERY good gross.

And one I personally would still count as allowing for a victory lap or two, myself (if not quite the number of victory laps I would take should it reach my goal/hope of 700m ;)).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Molek said:

It's going to sell nearly 20 million tickets in a single weekend, of course it's an event, especially for families.  I'm guessing you didn't think BatB was an event either?  Because this is on the same level.  Not everything needs to have mega fanboy hype to be an event, it's still doing well.

The lion king remake has had mega fanboy hype for over a year. It is the only disney remake that actually had fanboy hype. It wasn’t until the bad reviews that the hype started to decrease. Even in this box office “experts” forum people were going wild for it last summer with all sorts of crazy predictions and they were deadly serious. Of course now they sing a different tune...

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The lion king remake has had mega fanboy hype for over a year. It is the only disney remake that actually had fanboy hype. It wasn’t until the bad reviews that the hype started to decrease. Even in this box office “experts” forum people were going wild for it last summer with all sorts of crazy predictions and they were deadly serious. Of now they sing a different tune...

you have a point here, however noone should be dissapointed with this making avengers/jurassic world numbers, thats a very good result

Edited by john2000

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The lion king remake has had mega fanboy hype for over a year. It is the only disney remake that actually had fanboy hype. It wasn’t until the bad reviews that the hype started to decrease. Even in this box office “experts” forum people were going wild for it last summer with all sorts of crazy predictions and they were deadly serious. Of course now they sing a different tune...

Didn't you predict Spiderman to be the bigger than Lion king this month !!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

So because Fanbois/Fangrlz Gonna Fanboi/Fangrl it's somehow NOT an event?

surejan.gif.

• Like 2

I am surprise usual suspect(s) are calling it not an event. It had bigger PS than Captain Marvel which did crazy well in PS and had big previews. The reviews did tiny impact on its OW. if it had JB level reviews I feel it would have had better OD. That said still its going to open close to 200m OW and gross close to 600 domestic. OS its having great run in many markets. Its going to end up in 1.5B range which is at uber tier for blockbusters. I dont think a rotten movie has ever ended up at that level.

I feel with better reviews it could have gone even higher(May be couple of hundred million more).

Still insane run and prime position to end up 2nd biggest movie WW and Top 3 domestic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1