Eric Loves Rey

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Doesn't change what I said. Will still be the number two movie of the year DOM until TROS comes out (and I expect the same in most countries outside of Asia).

Also the movie won't be #2 in Latin America. Will be either Toy Story 4 or Captain Marvel.

Lol people keep forgeting Frozen 2, likely to be #3 dom and #2 WW this year.

24 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I like the title. 👀

I do not like such kind of titles in general, and even less at times of already IMHO too destructive moods

I often feel like certain pp think all should feel the same about their style, ignoring that at least some come here to actually enjoy a snark-free presentation of numbers, news about release dates, theatre counts and such.

• Thanks 1

Meanwhile, as everyone is bickering about The Lion King, The Farewell continues to astound in limited release. Finally, a specialty hit this year.

A24 expanded The Farewell into 35 theaters on Friday and continued to post sizzling results. The (justifiably) acclaimed Lulu Wang dramedy, about a large Chinese family flocking to a fake wedding in order to say goodbye to a dying matriarch without actually letting her know that she's dying, earned $340,000 (+206%) on Friday for a likely $1.02 million (+187%) weekend and $1.523 million ten-day cume. That's a stellar $29,278 per-theater average and bodes well for the Awkwafina vehicle's eventual wide release.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/07/20/avengers-endgame-avatar-lion-king-farewell-awkwafina-spider-man-aladdin-midsommar-annabelle-crawl-box-office/#506a6a6244fc

• Like 4

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

I do not like such kind of titles in general, and even less at times of already IMHO too destructive moods

I often feel like certain pp think all should feel the same about their style, ignoring that at least some come here to actually enjoy a snark-free presentation of numbers, news about release dates, theatre counts and such.

Well I mean, there once was a  thread for "just the numbers" but no one used it.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

This is not the place to come for snark-free anything

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yet you champion all those cheap horribly made so called Christian movies?

I now prioritize the championing of smaller well-made films, and films that happen to be made by filmmakers who are Christian, over the championing of "Christian movies". But, like it or not, a solid amount of "Christian movies" at the very least come from a place of earnest sincerity--they, at least, have a soul.

Meanwhile, the fact that the "soullessness" of this Lion King remake can even be debated in the first place is an issue for Disney.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Frozen 2 > The Lion King is happening.

Frozen will do 1B this time around not 1.1 or 1.2B. I am a huge frozen fan. It's getting overpredicted lets be reasonable. As for TROS i see it doing 1.5B and somehow people low-ball it to 1.1 or 1.2 as maximum some even give it just 1B+. 1.5b for TROS

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, justvision said:

Lack of competition does not drive a movie to extraordinary high if the movie does not show break-out potential after initial hype wanes. TLK can do 500-550M, but that figure already "price in" lack of competition, nostalgia, initial hype etc etc. WOM is decent but not great. It won't do more than 550M dom.

we live in times where 500-550M dom is not a breakout. :wacko: