Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

14 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Pretty much. It's great to live in an area that gets more than just the mainstream fare, but you're not going to see much of that outside of metropolitan areas unless they have the screen space. For example, I know for a fact that my area won't get The Farewell because they never book A24 releases, but even the two other multiplexes within an hour-and-a-half's drive might not carry it either.

I like that AMC is at least kinda-sorta trying to draw attention toward smaller wide releases, but it feels disingenuous when they're still going to devote most of their screen space and promotional energy to the increasingly massive tentpoles. I know everyone wants stuff like Booksmart or Midsommar to catch on, but they're not going to if they're always just specialty afterthoughts.

That AMC Specialty stuff always sounded fishy. All they said was basically "we're gonna try and promote small movies more", but they aren't actually doing any benefits that matter. No lowered prices, no major promos (at least from what I've seen), no nothing. It just seems like a bunch of PR Jedi mind trick nonsense so far

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The absurd TLK predicts were insufferable because they had no basis in real world hype. They were merely people saying that because the original is the most successful animated film of all time, that meant the remake would be one of the most successful movies of all time. Not how it works. Especially irritating was all the “it’s the biggest broadway production ever!!” arguments. What on earth does that have to do with a remade film’s box office? 

The remake will be one of the most successful films of all time....

Are you playing a character or are you actually this daft?

• Like 4

let's wait for the second day numbers, at least,  before declaring it dead. i admit, i was one of those who equated the success of the original with huge numbers for the remake. big mistake

1 minute ago, Alli said:

let's wait for the second day numbers, at least,  before declaring it dead. i admit, i was one of those who equated the success of the original with huge numbers for the remake. big mistake

Oh FFS....

It’s going to have the biggest opening in history for a PG film, domestically and worldwide. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

Oh FFS....

It’s going to have the biggest opening in history for a PG film, domestically and worldwide. 

Aladdin Stan hating on TLK. People are so weird. If you hate it, ignore it. 

We all make predictions that don’t happen. When it comes to predicting box office, it’s pretty much predicting the future. We try to gather as much data points as we can in order to make our predictions but the reality is none of us can predict the future 100% of the time. So with every right prediction we get, we have an outrageous prediction. And we’ve all been guilty of being wrong so no need to laugh at or rub it in people’s faces of how wrong they were over and over again. 

• Like 1

BTW I just checked the theater I'm seeing Lion King at later today and everything is filling up throughout the day fast (to the point where even rows A and B in the bigger auditoriums are selling). Wouldn't be surprised if it managed a nice increase from true Friday.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

BTW I just checked the theater I'm seeing Lion King at later today and everything is filling up throughout the day fast. Wouldn't be surprised if it managed a nice increase from true Friday.

It's better to think that it will do the worst so we can have a nice surprise

This weekend is massive! And everyone wants The Lion King to do Force Awakens level. But there are films that have bombed like The Nice Guys or Blade Runner 2049 that should’ve done better than those above. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Molek said:

It's better to think that it will do the worst so we can have a nice surprise

FWIW I also checked Spider-Man and Toy Story (which obviously are in more medium-sized theaters) and even those are filling up throughout the day too. Then again, it's 91 degrees outside. People looking to get out of the house will go to either the mall or the movies just for the air conditioning.

Edited by filmlover