Eric Loves Rey

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wtf happened to Aladdin?!? Were there not double features? Now I’m really pissed at TLK, that was supposed to be its sole redeeming factor of existence. Fuck that (imposter) lion. 

Lol imagine being angry for this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yet you champion all those cheap horribly made so called Christian movies?

Resorting to "what about-isms" every-time someone dunks on Lion King isn't gonna help your argument. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Not impressed at all with a $58-$60 million Saturday.

Now $190 million is in question?

I remembered you are one of those who had a major meltdown when TS4 "only" did $121M OW. Look at its gross now. It's looking to topple TS3 Dom and heading towards a billion worldwide. With 58-60 Saturday, TLK is heading towards 183-190 OW, which is still good number. You seem very prone to melting down over Disney OW numbers, when in fact the numbers themselves are really good. Your expectations must have been sky high.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Resorting to "what about-isms" every-time someone dunks on Lion King isn't gonna help your argument. 

It actually helps. It discredits the opponents. Usually happens in arguments a lot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

I don't care if people don't like TLK or the idea of re-makes.

It's about hypocrisy and ridiculous sweeping statements about the state of cinema and other people's taste - that needs to be corrected-  as if one is speaking from some cinematic moral and artistic authority.     Puh-lease.  

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 6

For me.... this weekend was an interesting education in just how strongly the past five years of exhibition have changed.... it really did make sense to me that this movie was going to have much stronger walkups than it appears to be having, which is why I looked at Jurassic World as a possible comparison point.... and then a few posters very helpfully pointed out why that arc doesn't really apply. I was still like "yeah, but MAYBE and WHAT IF...." but after thinking about those posts for a second, I looked at some other arcs and even IF there are more walkups than other movies this summer have gotten.... the way the industry has shifted to pre-sales and assigned seats at major multiplexes really does mean the maths I was using from just four years ago really don't apply so much.... I learned some things today! Maybe I should have learned them before now, but there's nothing wrong with BEING wrong, especially when I have absolutely zero at stake, LOL. 

I still think this movie will make $200 mil... maybe those extra walkups I've been pulling for will manifest on Sunday. Or maybe they won't and this ends up under Age of Ultron on the OW top 10. But I'm not disappointed in this performance at all, nor do I think it's alarming or disturbing. At 190mil, It's a top 10 OW all-time, it's the highest OW for Disney's "live-action" remakes.... and it's still an amazing amount of money for a film to make in a single weekend. I can think that because, as I said earlier in this thread.... for a lot of people, projections are more important than actuals, and they (over) react accordingly... I don't believe in that so much. 

I guess if my main reason for caring about box office was to keep score over who was right, who was wrong, and whether a movie hit an imaginary mark someone at Deadline predicted (LOL) then projections would mean more. But.... that's not really why I care about this weird little hobby of mine. 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Not impressed at all with a $58-$60 million Saturday.

Now $190 million is in question?

Good thing it's only 945 on the west coast and nobody has been to the theater yet. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

TLK will make 600M whether it opens with 200M or slightly below. It won't have worse legs then Incredibles 2. Also, don't know where people get bad WOM. As soon as the movie started to be seen, IMDB jumped from 5 to 7. 

Are you sure?  The critics and kids liked that one!

If Charlie is right about $58-$60M Sat...I'd say the likely open is...

Fri $78.5M

Sat $58M 

Sun $49.3M (15% drop)

Total $185.8M...although if it does come in at $58M Sat (which would be only a 5% Sat increase from true Fri), it might drop closer to 18-20% Sun, and we could be looking at $182.9M...either way, I think if Charlie's Sat is right, $190M is gonna be a tough number for the weekend...

Of course, he might be overcompensating for the poor Friday presales/walkup ratio...and we could see better walk ups on the weekend, getting us back to a possible $200M scenario...

A fun weekend when things aren't so easy to predict:)...

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Are you sure?  The critics and kids liked that one!

The kids also like this one. Have you seen the revised Postrak numbers? All ages gave it a 4 out of 5, which to me is good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

The kids also like this one. Have you seen the revised Postrak numbers? All ages gave it a 4 out of 5, which to me is good.

You gotta go pretty far back to find a kid score that low for family movies, though...might even be prior to Wonder Park...

Kids give A's to almost everything (I have a kid that literally only grades between A- and A+), since they enjoy the movie going/popcorn/fun experience so much the movie sometimes is secondary:)...

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

You gotta go pretty far back to find a kid score that low for family movies, though...might even be prior to Wonder Park...

Kids give A's to almost everything (I have a kid that literally only grades between A- and A+), since they enjoy the movie going/popcorn/fun experience so much the movie sometimes is secondary:)...

kids don't drive the conversation parents do. Hence why zootopia did so well. Parents related big time to that one. Same for Incredibles 2.

I2 and Dory both faced serious and direct competition in their early weeks. The Lion King won't have such problems, and July weekdays are stronger than June ones too.

BATB did 2.87x opening in March. I'd say 3x is locked for TLK, 3.3-3.5x is perfectly reasonable and 3.7x is not entirely out of the realm of possibilities. This meas a domestic range of $600-700M

• Disbelief 1