sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If movies stay all through August, nothing is dead yet b/c Regal is starting their Moviepass-esque subscription next week...and we all know Moviepass helped to give some crazy legs, especially late ones, to a lot of "rewatchable" movies...and popular rom com musicals (yes, that's the strength of this Aladdin) and superhero comedies tend to both be heavily rewatchable...

Their movie pass option is kinda weak in comparison to AMC I feel like. However it's gonna be the 2nd best and best for those without a good amc close.

If your location is one on the cheapest plan and you don't care about good seating or screen quality it's great though. Unlimited is nice.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

So, I was right...disappointing overall weekend...theaters have got to be annoyed at the TLK screens they had to hold this weekend...it's gotta be rough having so many showings so empty, looking like they are for 6-8 week holdovers...it's good for the other few holdovers b/c I can't imagine anything getting dumped in large numbers for next weekend b/c TLK will just be giving back all its empty screens...

Aug 9th, though...that one will be interesting to see how many of those movies book into small and midsize places and how many get passed on with Aug 16 also having an enormous slate (ps - this new Regal plan might have perfect timing b/c 12 new movies in 12 days could be a heckuva way to end summer!:)...

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Their movie pass option is kinda weak in comparison to AMC I feel like. However it's gonna be the 2nd best and best for those without a good amc close.

If your location is one on the cheapest plan and you don't care about good seating or screen quality it's great though. Unlimited is nice.

Agreed...I'm still annoyed there's no family plan (and there's online prepurchase fees), so even with a Regal, I'm not sure I'll be signing up...but I'm betting a lot of folks in areas without convenient AMCs will be...even at the double MoviePass price...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

If you were expecting TLK to be a good film then you only have yourself to blame

TJB was brilliant. TLK was great script so ofcourse I expected it to be brilliant film.

And to be fair it is. I had better theatre experience than FFH, just not as good as I had expected. 

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Agreed...I'm still annoyed there's no family plan (and there's online prepurchase fees), so even with a Regal, I'm not sure I'll be signing up...but I'm betting a lot of folks in areas without convenient AMCs will be...even at the double MoviePass price...

For folks who like to a movie almost every day (say 5 days a week) it's a great option. Man if another big film comes out someone might see it like 300 times now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

So glad that The Farewell is doing great numbers in limited release.  Saw it two days ago and it's excellent, one of the best of the year.  Hopefully it continues its momentum into wide release.

Couldn't react to your comment but I gotta say, this movie looks like a contender for my favourite movie of the year. Sucks that the movie (like almost all A24 movies) has terrible international distribution and won't release where I live.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:
Title Daily Gross
The Lion King (2019) $21,900,000
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood $16,700,000
Spider-Man: Far from Home $3,500,000
Toy Story 4 $2,900,000
Crawl $1,100,000
Yesterday $900,000
Aladdin (2019) $850,000
Stuber $500,000
Dear Comrade $475,000
The Farewell $465,000

Annabelle Comes Home $460,000
Avengers: Endgame $275,000
The Secret Life of Pets 2 $250,000
Midsommar $220,000

any guess for final total for lion king ? 1,5 ?

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Couldn't react to your comment but I gotta say, this movie looks like a contender for my favourite movie of the year. Sucks that the movie (like almost all A24 movies) has terrible international distribution and won't release where I live.

release only to some major markets ?

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

where do you live what country?

it is an foreign language arthouse film probably in limited release so I would not say if it doesn't come to a cinema near you, that it's "terrible distribution". If you don't live in a country with many Chinese people then good chance cinemas have no interest in showing it.

Also most of A24's more popular films have reasonable international distribution. Can't be bothered to look up whether A24 was OS distributor for these films but they all seem to have had decent releases: Room, Disaster Artist, Moonlight, Lady Bird, hereditary, Ex Machina, the vvvvvvitch

TarantiNO getting a B-cinema score. source.gif

"CINEMA IS DYING. Disney's blockbusters are destroying REALLL FILMS"

Well there you have it guys. The movie that was supposed to "save" (lol) the industry is getting a worse reception than a shitty shot-for-shot remake (TLK). 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 6

7 minutes ago, thedast said:

It's a little... odd, yes but the Leo jokes are entering weird territory for me tbh, because people are blurring the line between early-mid 20s women with teens and it's getting disturbing. 

It's disturbing that a man who's pushing 50 is dating 20 year olds. 

• Like 1

22 year old adult capablle of their own choices definitely the same as a child / teenager

people are attracted to people who are at peak age fpr physical condition? crazy times we do live in.