sfran43

Weekend Thread: Top 5 Actuals- The Lion King $76.62M | OUATIH $41.08M | SM: FFH $12.45M | TS3 $10.45M | CRAWL $4.06M

58 minutes ago, babz06 said:

If it follows Dunkirk then around 47-50% drop brings it to 20m second weekend. 

I doubt it drops that little. it has much stronger competition in weekend 2 than Dunkirk did and it's audience scores are lower.

I'm expecting a 55-56% drop.

15 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

People are aware that "Marvel vs. DC" as a phenomenon was basically entirely made up by people at Marvel & DC as a means to goose their paying marks into buying more copies of both publishers' comics? It's only as bad as it is now because the people in charge of the media reporting on this stuff were children who believed in it fully like it was WWF or WCW... and whose fandom is much more like professional wrestling fandom than anything else...

The studios aren't really competing with each other, and if one of the studios (or publishers) goes down the other will actually be hurt by the lack of competition and contrast. Nobody at either place wants that.... mostly because most people who work at the one place end up working at the other... and some work for both at the same time... 

Actually, the pro wrestling thing is a good comparison. Eventually, WWF, who was scared of competition and whose endgame WAS to take out WCW, bought them entirely.... and you know what happened? WWF got crappier. Way crappier. And a lot of talent lost out... 

This is not what Marvel Studios or DC Entertainment are doing to each other. They're not really in competition like that. They're both just trying to make money for their investors. They can both win without the other needing to lose. 

You are right. Its not even a competition.

Disney's being fairly aggressive with TLK's Sunday. Doubt it goes up in actuals. Not a good hold. Will have to see if it does any better this week or next weekend.

Aladdin and TS4 will increases in actuals. Come tomorrow afternoon TS4 could have a weekend actual within 2M of FFH.

The number for OUaTiH looks like it should be very close in actuals. i think it does about an 18M 2nd weekend.

10 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Wait, I think that Disney record is only money earned in 2019. So, that’s money off the table from Frozen 2 and TRoS. But I think it includes Fox movies too... hmm maybe 12B is still possible...

probably both of these movie will make make most of their money by then

Edited by john2000

3 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Disney's being fairly aggressive with TLK's Sunday. Doubt it goes up in actuals. Not a good hold. Will have to see if it does any better this week or next weekend.

Aladdin and TS4 will increases in actuals. Come tomorrow afternoon TS4 could have a weekend actual within 2M of FFH.

The number for OUaTiH looks like it should be very close in actuals. i think it does about an 18M 2nd weekend.

All these 3 disney movies will see increases on Friday, Saturday and Sunday Est. Especially the Lion king it's same story as last weekend. Expect 7-8m+ increase for TLK

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

You are right. Its not even a competition.

Right! it's pretty obvious that Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment aren't even trying to go that head-to-head route anymore. They're not making any moves by going "what's Marvel doing. Can we do that? So we can beat them?" They're trying to find their own niche in that market and settle into it as comfortably as they can... I'm still confused as to why they haven't decided to make that niche "animated movies" since nobody else was doing it... and then Sony put out "Into the Spider-Verse" and won an Oscar with it....They have a whole DC Animated Universe.... Batman the Animated Series. Superman the Animated Series. Justice League Unlimited. Young Justice... all they have to do is adapt those stories to the big screen with more money for better design and animation... And they would have had their niche. 

But they're approaching it in their own way now... It's not a winner-take-all competition. It never really has been. The only place that competition is happening is in the heads of fanboys.

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, raulbalarezo said:
1 Avengers: Endgame BV $2,793.0 $856.4 30.7% $1,936.6 69.3%
2 Captain Marvel  BV $1,128.3 $426.8 37.8% $701.4 62.2%
4 Spider-Man: Far from Home Sony $1,036.9 $344.5 33.2% $692.4 66.8%
3 Aladdin (2019) BV $1,009.7 $345.9 34.3% $663.8 65.7%
6 The Lion King (2019) BV $962.7 $350.8 36.4% $611.9 63.6%
5 Toy Story 4 BV $917.9 $395.6 43.1% $522.3

56.9%

it's gorgeous step brothers GIF

Simba:

What is that shadowy place?

Mufasa:

TWIbWib.png

• Haha 10
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

All these 3 disney movies will see increases on Friday, Saturday and Sunday Est. Especially the Lion king it's same story as last weekend. Expect 7-8m+ increase for TLK

tenor.gif?itemid=7869620

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Shivampa?

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Right! it's pretty obvious that Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment aren't even trying to go that head-to-head route anymore. They're not making any moves by going "what's Marvel doing. Can we do that? So we can beat them?" They're trying to find their own niche in that market and settle into it as comfortably as they can... I'm still confused as to why they haven't decided to make that niche "animated movies" since nobody else was doing it... and then Sony put out "Into the Spider-Verse" and won an Oscar with it....They have a whole DC Animated Universe.... Batman the Animated Series. Superman the Animated Series. Justice League Unlimited. Young Justice... all they have to do is adapt those stories to the big screen with more money for better design and animation... And they would have had their niche. 

But they're approaching it in their own way now... It's not a winner-take-all competition. It never really has been. The only place that competition is happening is in the heads of fanboys.

Except Kevin decided to makes the eternals after DCEU announced New Gods (both these are pretty much the same thing).   They are still competing. 

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

Except Kevin decided to makes the eternals after DCEU announced New Gods (both these are pretty much the same thing).   They are still competing. 

So I guess Disney and WB are arch rivals due to The Jungle Book huh.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HeadShot said:

Kevin decided to make The Eternals long before you ever heard of that decision being made public... it wasn't in response to "The New Gods" being announced. They're both pretty much the same thing because Marvel and DC have been more or less riffing off each other for longer than your grandparents have been alive. 

They're not in competiton like that. Yes, they're both trying to make as much money as possible, but they're not trying to do that at the expense of the other company. That's what I'm trying to get at... there's no intended endgame...pun intended.... where one company "defeats" the other and they lose and go away. Nobody on either side actually wants this, or is making decisions based on this impulse... It's not happening. 

The only place this thinking is taken seriously is in fanboy heads. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

So I guess Disney and WB are arch rivals due to The Jungle Book huh.

Uh yeah? Hence why WB benched the movie on Netflix cause they couldn’t compete. Namor is never happening cause of Aquaman btw.  

Something I'm wondering...how harsh was TLK's contract with theaters...I know TLJ, with its harsh contract, got dropped at a more rapid rate than its box office numbers probably deserved...and we have 12 movies opening in 2 weeks in August, including 2 kid ones, when schools also start back mid-August...will we see a more rapid descent b/c theaters have to kick back so much of the box office on TLK vs random other movies?

It's something to keep an eye on for late legs...I mean, it's not dropping more than 50 theaters in weekend #3 (if any - contract might prohibit drops:)...but weekend #4 and especially #5, after Angry Birds opens and Dora is already open, should be interesting...

40 minutes ago, Waffles said:

Did the organizers of SDCC sponsor this article with its "WB/DC missed out big time by sitting out the Con" bottomline? There's nothing to show that Comic Con was the reason for Aquaman breaking out (in fact, remember when people said Shazam "upstaged" Aquabro at last year's SDCC? :rofl:). Looking back at the DCEU's BO history, its biggest DOM hit Wonder Woman had a release date that was almost a year apart from the previous SDCC (and even then, WW ended up being more of a leggy phenomenon, meaning whatever exposure it got at SDCC was negligible). Even Suicide Squad really exploded on the scene with the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer shown with the CW special in January, not at SDCC.

The most publicized DCEU movie at SDCC was JL, and well, we saw how that turned out.

• Like 2