grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

55 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Matrix had a Thursday release day with midnights. Spider-Man 2 had a Wed release with midnights. The OD comparison is apples to apples.

I get all mixed up with those strange timed releasing.

On wikipedia when they say:

The Matrix Reloaded earned an estimated $5 million during Wednesday night previews in the United States and Canada

They mean in reality thursday midnigt previews and not wednesday night previews ?

And that:  It grossed $37.5 million on its Thursday opening day from 3,603 theaters, is a typo ?

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I get all mixed up with those strange timed releasing.

On wikipedia when they say:

The Matrix Reloaded earned an estimated $5 million during Wednesday night previews in the United States and Canada

They mean in reality thursday midnigt previews and not wednesday night previews ?

And that:  It grossed $37.5 million on its Thursday opening day from 3,603 theaters, is a typo ?

It isn't a typo, it is a reflection of historical reporting inconsistencies. They reported it that way in 2003. By 2004, it was accepted a normal and changed to what it is today. 

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

It isn't a typo, it is a reflection of historical reporting inconsistencies. They reported it that way in 2003. By 2004, it was accepted a normal and changed to what it is today. 

The reporting back in the days tell the complete opposite:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed1031013380/

Reloaded grabbed an estimated $5 million from its Wednesday 10 p.m. showings at 2,750 theaters, according to the studio's executive VP and general sales manager of domestic distribution Jeff Goldstein. "For a strictly 10 p.m. show, that's a record,"

The reporting on Spider Man 2 OD also point out that difference is night versus midnight preview for the 2 movies.

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The reporting back in the days tell the complete opposite:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed1031013380/

Reloaded grabbed an estimated $5 million from its Wednesday 10 p.m. showings at 2,750 theaters, according to the studio's executive VP and general sales manager of domestic distribution Jeff Goldstein. "For a strictly 10 p.m. show, that's a record,"

The reporting on Spider Man 2 OD also point out that difference is night versus midnight preview for the 2 movies.

There are other reports saying different things then that -for practical purposes, it makes no difference if they're at 10 PM or 12:00 AM. They're the late night shows. Clones and Sith did the same thing. Spider-man 2 shows were not all ate 12:00 AM etc. 

Edited by excel1

31 minutes ago, Barnack said:

http:///previewgrosses.html

Spider-Man 2 Sony / Columbia WED, 06/30/2004 12AM WED $5.000 M $40.443 M 8.089

The Matrix Reloaded Warner Bros. THU, 05/15/2003 10PM WED $9.300 M $42.508 M 4.571

Reporting inaccuracies galore. Again, there was a lot of inconsistency with report and the term "midnights" were used very loosely. For example -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/star-wars-attacks-box-office/

Looking back at EPISODE I -- THE PHANTOM MENACE, Snyder noted, "Its
Wednesday, the opening day, was $28.5 million. That was the high water mark for the run. The next best day was $24.4 million on Saturday (of weekend
one). In this case, we opened to $30.1 million, went to $25.2 million on
Friday and Saturday looks like $32.25 million, so it's actually above the
opening day and the opening day, remember, had the "Midnight" shows (from
Wednesday
) folded in. So this is really a spectacular performance."

PHANTOM MENACE wound up grossing $431.1 million in domestic theaters. Its worldwide total (domestic plus international) was $923 million.

Asked about reports that CLONES' Wednesday Midnight shows had ticket
sales of approximately $6 million, Snyder replied, "Something in that area. It depends on how they got folded into (the total for Thursday), but I think that's a fair estimate.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

This will be settled out of court, just like the Scarlett Johansson lawsuit. 

By the way, on the subject of that Reloaded discussion from the other day, is there any particular reason that movies like Reloaded and Revenge of the Sith were released on Thursdays?

Not really. Thankfully that trend never caught on past CLONES, RELOADED, and SITH. The "open on a Wednesday" trend died out too post 2006. 

10 hours ago, AJG said:

BIG YIKES.

Village Roadshow are SUING Warner over this.

lmao if everyone behind WB's 2021 slate comes back to sue them all of a sudden. Can't help but wonder though if they would've done this had it posted respectable-for-the-COVID-era numbers like Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong (as opposed to completely flatlining like it did).

8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

This will be settled out of court, just like the Scarlett Johansson lawsuit. 

By the way, on the subject of that Reloaded discussion from the other day, is there any particular reason that movies like Reloaded and Revenge of the Sith were released on Thursdays?

I think the logic was that it would make for a longer weekend. People will see a movie, Fri-Sun anyway, but if it's a big movie like Sith, you can open Thursday, have the die hards come that day and everyone else on the weekend and report a 4-day weekend gross, essentially adding an extra day to the weekend. I mean, this is pretty much happening now, but it's reported as a three day weekend.

4 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I think the logic was that it would make for a longer weekend. People will see a movie, Fri-Sun anyway, but if it's a big movie like Sith, you can open Thursday, have the die hards come that day and everyone else on the weekend and report a 4-day weekend gross, essentially adding an extra day to the weekend. I mean, this is pretty much happening now, but it's reported as a three day weekend.

Nothing beats Spectre in the UK. That opened at 7pm Monday night, and every day through Sunday got added in to the "opening weekend". British box office is weird as hell

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:03 AM, grim22 said:

Not the Reloaded thread so will move everything to Resurrections, but I think people who weren't around back then forget just how big an event Reloaded was, and the huge sense of disappointment it left in it's wake when fans finally watched it. The legs and the fact that Bruce Almighty beat it in the second weekend are testament to that.

Oh, I remember.........

Same thing happened to a degree with The PHantom Menace. Many  fans were really dissapointed in it. It still made a huge amount of money, but even then it did come close to topping "Titanic" when was widely expected it would do just that.

Re the VIllage Roadshow lawsuit: I understand that production companies are the ones that streaming is really hurting.  

Edited by dudalb

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Oh, I remember.........

Same thing happened to a degree with The PHantom Menace. Many  fans were really dissapointed in it. It still made a huge amount of money, but even then it did come close to topping "Titanic" when was widely expected it would do just that.