grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

On 3/13/2022 at 11:30 AM, JWR said:

Final domestic haul: $37.7m

Final worldwide haul: $156.5m

Budget (not including marketing) 190 Million.

Means a big loss for Warners. Luckily, they can afford it. Still, I suspect it will be the last big budget the Warchowski's get for a long time.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

That one of the most surprising result ever for me, under $40m domestic, before the last trailers/review it seem that it had quite the potential.

Yes but having seen the movie im surprised it didnt go under 37M DOM.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yes but having seen the movie im surprised it didnt go under 37M DOM.

The fact that have yet to see it (despite the first one being one of the best theatrical experience in my life like most people of my generation) mean I should be less surprised maybe, but before the ballon exploded I was quite pump for this (Cloud Atlas is one of my favorite movie has well).

I shouldn't have any expectation, just one of the sister doing it, terrible sequels track record and so on, there was red flags all along.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

The fact that have yet to see it (despite the first one being one of the best theatrical experience in my life like most people of my generation) mean I should be less surprised maybe, but before the ballon exploded I was quite pump for this (Cloud Atlas is one of my favorite movie has well).

I shouldn't have any expectation, just one of the sister doing it, terrible sequels track record and so on, there was red flags all along.

When this film was announced i was also very excited (love Matrix, actually like Reloaded for the most part, though i hate Revolutions), but i can assure you, you are better off not having watched this film. I am trying to forget it ever since and it is no surprise to me that the GA hated it.

• Knock It Off 1

I watched this on HBO Max and that was exactly where this belonged. I think WB hoped that Keanu Reeves surge in popularity would entice more people to come watch this, but unfortunately The Matrix as a franchise had been inactive for over a decade so it's fanbase is much smaller than they believed, the general audience just didn't gravitate towards it.

I liked this enough that I didn't feel my time was wasted. Surrender to the campness and there's enough to enjoy. It knows there's nowhere to go after the first trilogy that wouldn't be a retread, so you might as well make fun of the retread itself. Not every day you see a movie call out its own financing studio by name.

Unfortunately when it's no longer in meta mode and gets on with the earnest part of the story - rescue Trinity - it gets really boring, and the action scenes are barely worth talking about. Clearly Wachowski is a lot more invested in the Neo Trinity love story than most viewers are.

I also have to say the digital photography was ugly as fuck - it made the movie feel so much smaller than its predecessors. I assume its ludicrously high budget was partly down to covid? Becuase it sure as hell didn't look like a 200m movie.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2