grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

remember when this came out a year and ago and absolutely no one cared and it's like this film doesn't even exist? Never seen anything like it for such a well known franchise

Because it was dogshit with almost nothing going for it outside of some neat ideas, that get executed poorly 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

14 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Lana couldn't decide if she wanted a meta parody or a memberberry Matrix movie, and it shows. It's ultimately why it didn't click with people. Being sent out to die against Endgame 2 didn't help matters either.

Thing is, I doubt a good looking, crowd pleasing Matrix sequel has any problems going against No Way Home during the lucrative holidays. The problem was that people didn't want to go see it, not that there wasn't room for it.

26 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Lana couldn't decide if she wanted a meta parody or a memberberry Matrix movie, and it shows. It's ultimately why it didn't click with people. Being sent out to die against Endgame 2 didn't help matters either.

Also the action was a huge step down from the first three movies

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Marston said:

remember when this came out a year and ago and absolutely no one cared and it's like this film doesn't even exist? Never seen anything like it for such a well known franchise

The failure of this movie is still mindblowing, I feel like it should be studied. No major franchise has flamed out this hard. POTC? Star Wars? Harry Potter? LOTR? Hell, even Star Trek is still going.

Everything just went wrong. Pre-Pandemic you couldn’t tell me this wasn’t touching a smooth billion. They first got screwed by COVID. The HBO Max disaster hit them hard (they gained only less than 6 million US subs for that year). Then you have the film itself - if I had paid money to see it I would’ve been outraged. If it released in regular times it would’ve been a career killer.

What kills me is that if they had just expanded the action with some well choreographed and thought out set pieces the damn thing may have been passable at least. It might have even raised itself to that fabled “divisive” status. But as it stands the film, right now, feels like a weird blip in history. Like those comedy/drama follow-ups no one knows exist (The Two Jakes, Terms of Endearment 2, Sharpay’s Fabulous Advenure, Grease 2).

Edited by AJG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well….I still enjoyed it. Is it The Matrix? No, it was never going to be, and Lana Wachowski clearly knew this going in, but it’s better than Reloaded and Revolutions for me.

I’ll admit though that it was never going to be a hit with general audiences in this form, anyone going to this expecting something like the sequels would be baffled at what Lana was doing, so I completely understand where the negativity towards it comes from, even if I personally disagree and appreciate what they were doing with it from a story perspective. For me, the worst thing they could’ve done is just turn it into a generic action movie with endless fights/battles like Revolutions, but that would probably have been a bigger hit with the GA. I appreciate that Resurrections was at least trying to do something different, even if the mileage for people varies.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

But as it stands the film, right now, feels like a weird blip in history. Like those comedy/drama follow-ups no one knows exist (The Two Jakes, Terms of Endearment 2, Sharpay’s Fabulous Advenure, Grease 2).

The fact that it's a pretty integral part of the Wachowskis filmography means that it will be remembered more than any of those films. Also seems to have the support of a specific minority group (that the director herself is a part of). Maybe killed the entire franchise, but I'm pretty sure there will be more people talking about it 10 years in the future than the POTC 5 or Fantastic Beasts 3.

Also three of the franchises you mentioned are now primarily TV franchises. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also seems to have the support of a specific minority group (that the director herself is a part of).

did you just call me transgender?

Studios will keep chasing the Nostalgia cash as long as stuff like TGM exists.

Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. You also get stuff like Ghostbusters 2021 which did okay enough for a sequel. Matrix just happen to fall into second group.

7 hours ago, AJG said:

The failure of this movie is still mindblowing, I feel like it should be studied. No major franchise has flamed out this hard. POTC? Star Wars? Harry Potter? LOTR? Hell, even Star Trek is still going.

Everything just went wrong. Pre-Pandemic you couldn’t tell me this wasn’t touching a smooth billion. They first got screwed by COVID. The HBO Max disaster hit them hard (they gained only less than 6 million US subs for that year). Then you have the film itself - if I had paid money to see it I would’ve been outraged. If it released in regular times it would’ve been a career killer.

What kills me is that if they had just expanded the action with some well choreographed and thought out set pieces the damn thing may have been passable at least. It might have even raised itself to that fabled “divisive” status. But as it stands the film, right now, feels like a weird blip in history. Like those comedy/drama follow-ups no one knows exist (The Two Jakes, Terms of Endearment 2, Sharpay’s Fabulous Advenure, Grease 2).

Agreed completely! This is why I say competition wasn't a factor. An exciting, crowd pleasing Matrix sequel would have played fantastic over Christmas, even alongside Spider-Man. However, it didn't take people very long at all to see this wasn't a serious sequel and was not worth their time.

My personal curve with it is a perfect example. Even when my enthusiasm for any particular movie wanes, I still end up going to see it. With this, it got so bad I decided I don't want to see it. That's hard to do, man! I'm not frugal when it comes to movies.

6 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Well….I still enjoyed it. Is it The Matrix? No, it was never going to be, and Lana Wachowski clearly knew this going in, but it’s better than Reloaded and Revolutions for me.

I’ll admit though that it was never going to be a hit with general audiences in this form, anyone going to this expecting something like the sequels would be baffled at what Lana was doing, so I completely understand where the negativity towards it comes from, even if I personally disagree and appreciate what they were doing with it from a story perspective. For me, the worst thing they could’ve done is just turn it into a generic action movie with endless fights/battles like Revolutions, but that would probably have been a bigger hit with the GA. I appreciate that Resurrections was at least trying to do something different, even if the mileage for people varies.

The train station scene in REVOLUTIONS alone is more thought-provoking than anything in M4.

And REVOLUTIONS ended with Neo reaching a state of nirvana and realizing violence is not the answer. At the end of M4 he's getting his kicks getting violent revenge on Neil Patrick Harris. Lols.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Studios will keep chasing the Nostalgia cash as long as stuff like TGM exists.

Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. You also get stuff like Ghostbusters 2021 which did okay enough for a sequel. Matrix just happen to fall into second group.

The Matrix is the wrong series to play the nostalgia card with.  The Matrix has always been about THE CUTTING EDGE and the unexpected.

STAR WARS on the other hand has been nostalgic from Day 1... a nostalgic return to Flash Gordon, Edgar R. Burroughs and chivalric romance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

The train station scene in REVOLUTIONS alone is more thought-provoking than anything in M4.

And REVOLUTIONS ended with Neo reaching a state of nirvana and realizing violence is not the answer. At the end of M4 he's getting his kicks getting violent revenge on Neil Patrick Harris. Lols.

NPH was a rogue programme that needed putting in his place, it’s not like Neo and Trinity were torturing an actual person there.

The first hour was fun and it got really boring when it decided to turn into a normal Matrix movie. I wish it all looked better - if you told me this was a 50m Netflix movie I'd have believed you.

Knowing that Wachowski had no interest in making this and only did it so Warners wouldn't do their own thing you can't even say it didn't accomplish its goal - Warners ain't touching this property for a long time now. Wachowski probably thinks 'job done'.

13 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The first hour was fun and it got really boring when it decided to turn into a normal Matrix movie. I wish it all looked better - if you told me this was a 50m Netflix movie I'd have believed you.

Knowing that Wachowski had no interest in making this and only did it so Warners wouldn't do their own thing you can't even say it didn't accomplish its goal - Warners ain't touching this property for a long time now. Wachowski probably thinks 'job done'.

Unfortunately you can say this about a lot of blockbusters these days. Studios just don't seem to put the effort in visually.

I think the reason it was quickly forgotten is because it didn't actually generate outrage like Batman v Superman or The Last Jedi. I think that's why we don't see much passionate debate about it, from either haters or fans. I feel like people who didn't like it weren't really surprised, considering the Wachowski's history after the first Matrix film. Another recent movie that we all expected to be controversial when we saw it at release but really didn't was Halloween Ends - from what I see, most people didn't care that they didn't like it. 

13 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

NPH was a rogue programme that needed putting in his place, it’s not like Neo and Trinity were torturing an actual person there.

The message is still the same...cinematically.  Redundant and counter-intuitive to where the franchise previously ended.  But hey, they weren't the first sequel to do that in order to extend the dollar, and won't be the last...