grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

16 hours ago, AJG said:

This guy fucking stinks

FHpn7NFUcAI8qFW?format=jpg&name=large

Trash useless person gets free press (and benefits) by being a jerk. Or as I call it, the Trace Dandruff Approach. 

Can we just ignore him 4ever? Not like we’ll miss anything worth a damn.

• Like 1

So, I saw it with a total of 16 folks - hurray for a few hardy individuals to join our empty theater this afternoon.

I feel like this is a movie that engendered overreactions.  It's not as horrific as some folks are posting, but it's still not a good movie either.  The spouse and boys gave it C, C-, and A- (God bless my boy who grades nicely).  I also gave it a C-.

It would have been better if it picked which movie it wanted to be.  I felt like they could have taken the 1st half of the movie and added 20 minutes to resolve the one thing done in the 2nd half and had a crisp 90 minute action and yet parody of the original trilogy.  OR, they could have dumped 45 minutes of the 1st half and actually gone into the 2nd half worldbuilding as their main plot and wrapped that in 100 minutes.  But what they did was take a Justice League plot with acres of ideas to try and explore and tons of tie ins to all the other trilogies and try to make a movie come together with just too damn much.  I mean, I respect there was some plot hanging together, b/c it was so full, I'm amazed they did get something sensible.  

If it were me, I'd have gone with the 1st half idea - while it was heavy handed and unsubtle, I thought that message worked and the movie just seemed the most meta and Matrixy here...and Neil Patrick Harris worked the best there...if it was just that 1st half with an extra saving mission, it would have been a B movie, and WOM wouldn't be quite as toxic from the GA.

PS - The fight scenes reminded me of Snake Eyes in the worst way...and the big 2nd half plot screamed to me "Monsters Inc inspired you" - neither of which I was impressed with...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 2:28 AM, Halba said:

Terrible friggun movie. Got what it deserved.  The director is now Box office poison.  

Sure.  Just like the Wachowski's apparently have been for the last 10 years. 

I'll look forward to your reaction when Warners distributes Lana's next project.  

On 12/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, SpiderByte said:

Are these 70 five-day estimates studios lowballing or based on the actual tracking?

I feel as if it's safe to say those estimates were probably based more on delusion rather than anything else.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2021 at 8:19 AM, Macleod said:

Sure.  Just like the Wachowski's apparently have been for the last 10 years. 

I'll look forward to your reaction when Warners distributes Lana's next project.  

Lana will get a lot less money for her next project,though.

Not surprised. I was always a skeptic on this movie. Reviving a dead franchise is  not that easy, you have as many failures as sucesses.

I always thought the action scenes for this were probmatical; When the Matric came out no one had seen action scenes like that before; but now everybody uses the techniques. "Resurrections" had to come up with something really new not to disspaoint, and apparently they did not.

And ,god, fanboys have such thin skins. The Lemonade stand joke is an example. I did not think it was that funny, but the outrage of some fans over it is ridiculous. A much ballyhoed film fails at the box office,people are going to make jokes.

maybe Lana should go back to "Bound" days for her next film

This was a huge disappointment. At first I was confused but I understood quickly what direction the movie seemingly was going towards and I thought this is about to get good. But it never did. 

This one had nothing that made the first one so good. Not the VFX nor the action. It made reloaded and revolutions look better by comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Rant ahead

What was the point of Agent Smith? How is he still “alive”? He could have been completely cut out of the movie and it would have made no difference. Also I did not understand his purpose. Does he want to kill neo or not? He fights to kill him but in the end in the cafe does nothing?

CAN NO ONE SHOOT A DAMN GUN IN THE MATRIX!!! These people have worse aim than stormtroopers. 

They had some interesting ideas such as the friendly robots and the programs crossing over. And especially the machines crossing over. A movie based on these things would have been far better. 

IO is fucking deader than Zion despite the former being much bigger and latter being literally in a cave. 

Why the fuck does Niobe who was so concerned about Neo fucking shit up and disturbing peace in IO all of a sudden ready to fuck shit up herself? She went from locking up Neo to helping him just like that.

There is zero stakes in this. Not a single person gets killed or even severely injured. Niobe warns Neo that his actions will bring bad things for IO but nothing literally happens to the city. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

27 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

This was a huge disappointment. At first I was confused but I understood quickly what direction the movie seemingly was going towards and I thought this is about to get good. But it never did. 

This one had nothing that made the first one so good. Not the VFX nor the action. It made reloaded and revolutions look better by comparison. 

Your rant is why I thought the more compelling movie would have been found focusing on the 1st segment of the movie and wrapping it in 90-100 min...most of the "why the hell" issues crop up in the 2nd part...and I agree with your top most point 100%...the whole movie would have been more compelling and sensible without that character...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Your rant is why I thought the more compelling movie would have been found focusing on the 1st segment of the movie and wrapping it in 90-100 min...most of the "why the hell" issues crop up in the 2nd part...and I agree with your top most point 100%...the whole movie would have been more compelling and sensible without that character...

Yup the first 1/3rd or so was interesting, even if it was a bit confusing at first. I liked how meta and trippy the whole thing was. But then after that it descends into a boring predictable and uninspired action movie. 

• Like 2