kayumanggi

KNOCK AT THE CABIN | 02.03.2023 | Universal | final gross: $35,397,980

I liked it. Some really good performances, a great first act, and it just about manages to not quite stretch itself too thin with the runtime. Within seconds I could tell that the two co-writers must've taken charge on the dialogue because it's not as clunky or weird as usual for Shyamalan (though there are a couple lines here and there). That becomes both a positive and a negative because it takes away some of the idiosyncrasies of a Shyamalan movie with his strange ways of writing characters. As a whole the movie feels a bit more generic as a result than something like Old, but it is a tighter watch that won't make the audience go "what?" as often. It gets too heavyhanded at times but thankfully he pulls away more than something like Signs (the closest film of his I can compare this to). It's a solid little thriller that doesn't pretend it's anything more than that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lucas said:

I liked it. Some really good performances, a great first act, and it just about manages to not quite stretch itself too thin with the runtime. Within seconds I could tell that the two co-writers must've taken charge on the dialogue because it's not as clunky or weird as usual for Shyamalan (though there are a couple lines here and there). That becomes both a positive and a negative because it takes away some of the idiosyncrasies of a Shyamalan movie with his strange ways of writing characters. As a whole the movie feels a bit more generic as a result than something like Old, but it is a tighter watch that won't make the audience go "what?" as often. It gets too heavyhanded at times but thankfully he pulls away more than something like Signs (the closest film of his I can compare this to). It's a solid little thriller that doesn't pretend it's anything more than that.

Sounds good to me. I'm there on the 3rd!