sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Mal2 36, Jokah 29.2, Zombi2 26.7, Addams 16, Gemini 8.5 | Parasite 1.2 (37.6K), Lighthouse 420K (52K), Jojo 350K (70K avg)

So, I got back from Joker...

Wow, it's my favorite non-super this year:).  So atmospheric, so perfect for a murky, dark fall movie.  And everything is so gritty and real...it's like living our reality, not a supers one (I'd say more, especially about how I loved Gotham City's progression, but staying spoiler-free:)...

Plus, there's no more wondering - wrap up the best actor Oscar.  The movie, like Venom, hung COMPLETELY on the lead character...and he totally delivered:).

I'd give the movie an overall B+ (I think my spouse is an A-)...I found it seemed longer than it was (my spouse had no such issue), and I felt even in the cut, some parts could have been "sped up" a little...but there's nothing I would change on the script or the acting...so perfect.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll move up to an A-...it's really, really throw back movie making...in a weekend we are talking about all the best 70s-90s movies, this was a tone perfect delivery of that this afternoon...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

I know it’s pretty early, but does anyone have an idea where they think Jojo might end up for its total run? It won the audience award at Venice so it could play long as a crowd pleaser. It’s PTA seems good so is something like 30-50M possible?

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It won the audience award at Venice so it could play long as a crowd pleaser.

Correction: It won the audience award at TIFF, Toronto International Film Festival.

Joker, however, won the Golden Lion at Venice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Not saying maleficent is trash I haven’t seen it but with the changes RT has made even trash movies are going to have decent audience scores

This is true, but 96 is much better than "decent."

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

This is true, but 96 is much better than "decent."

The "All Audience" (i.e. including unverified folks) is pretty strong at 90 | 4.47/5 as well.

Might be a genuine crowd pleaser for folks who are actually interested enough in turning up

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

with the changes RT has made even trash movies are going to have decent audience scores

Not only that, user ratings have dropped down heavily.

For example: The first Avengers movie has 1.13M user ratings, Endgame has 65K. So it's gone down since the whole Captain Marvel thing.

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I know it’s pretty early, but does anyone have an idea where they think Jojo might end up for its total run? It won the audience award at Venice so it could play long as a crowd pleaser. It’s PTA seems good so is something like 30-50M possible?

At this point 3 billboard will be a great comparison, That comedy drama did 25m pre-award season but double its gross to 50m+ after all the award fuzz. Jojo may do 30m judging from this early number and how far it can go from here will depend its award season score.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Might be a genuine crowd pleaser for folks who are actually interested enough in turning u

The caveat upon which everything hinges.   

Reminds me of Alita, which was also pretty incredibly recieved, among the people who decided to go see it in a theater. But that didn't get too many people on the fence interested, and we'll have to see if it does for Mal (FWIW I say yes -- "sequel to well-liked Disney family movie" is much broader than "relatively faithful adaptation of obscure robot anime").

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

someone need to stop leto from attending oscar ceremony next year.

lol why would he be invited? more like I need him to attend and they keep the camera on his face all throughout Joaquin's speech.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

lol why would he be invited? more like I need him to attend and they keep the camera on his face all throughout Joaquin's speech.

ellen-selfie.jpg

They should show only half of his face on camera just like how cooper did to leto in 2014;'oscar

4 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but The Revenant is the biggest boost a movie has gotten post-awards season, correct?

American sniper. 

Jared Leto s take on he Joker was at least fresh, original and creative.

But people like to chew the same gum over and over again.

They like monotony and predictability.

Thats reality though.

Edited by The Futurist
  • ...wtf 2