Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

Paramount were unlucky that they lost not only Marvel but DreamWorks Animation as well. They don't really have the strong IP that Disney, Universal and Warner Bros have apart from Mission Impossible but everything else like Star Trek and TMNT is either not that appealing WW or doesn't resonate with audience. 

I would say Sony were in a same position at one point but they manage to pull off non Spider-Man hits but losing Bond was a blow to them. 

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Paramount were unlucky that they lost not only Marvel but DreamWorks Animation as well. They don't really have the strong IP that Disney, Universal and Warner Bros have apart from Mission Impossible but everything else like Star Trek and TMNT is either not that appealing WW or doesn't resonate with audience. 

I would say Sony were in a same position at one point but they manage to pull off non Spider-Man hits but losing Bond was a blow to them. 

The International audience just doesn't like Star Trek. TMNT could have been a good franchise if they hadn't botched the reboot in 2014. If a bad film made nearly 500mil then I imagine that a good one could have at least done 600-700mil and started a real franchise.  

6 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I haven't watched the new Terminator movie yet, but I'm not in a hurry...

Yesterday, my 7 years old daughter asked me why didn't Skynet just send a Terminator to kill baby Sarah Connor. I had no answer.

Isn't this a plot point in Terminator Genisys?

7 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I haven't watched the new Terminator movie yet, but I'm not in a hurry...

Yesterday, my 7 years old daughter asked me why didn't Skynet just send a Terminator to kill baby Sarah Connor. I had no answer.

Isn't she a little young to watch Terminator?

https://deadline.com/2019/11/terminator-dark-fate-linda-hamilton-harriet-motherless-brooklyn-weekend-box-office-1202774477/

2nd Update: Oy, let’s hope this gets better. The James Cameron produced Terminator: Dark Fate is falling below its $30M-$40M projections with an anticipated $28M weekend after an $11.3M Friday that includes last night’s previews. You could say, ‘Hey, wait a minute, didn’t Terminator: Genisys post $27M over its 3-day? What’s the big deal?’ No, you can’t say that because previous Terminators have had the luxury of a holiday period runway lasting at least 5 days, and starting on non-holiday Friday already puts a monkey wrench in this cinematic cyborg. The notion of this pic making over $42M by Tuesday isn’t foreseeable. China isn’t looking so hot, also looking to do $30M or less. Industry forecasts there were in the $40M-$50M range.

:jeb!: Okay, yeah lolDeadline but still :jeb!: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Connor said:

Called it - this new Terminator is a fanbase and subscriber movie only...and even then, it's really drawing strongly from the unlimited subscriptions (ie - not Cinemark).  Not a lot of non-fan, non-subscribers wanna pay $15/ticket to see another version of the same movie plot, even if done better than last ones...

Maybe the AMC/Cinemark split really needs to be looked at for future movies - between this and Gemini Man, it's becoming a key indicator if movies are gonna underperform presales and/or be unusually low walk ups...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Further Deadline updates (likely more to come)

Warner Bros./Village Roadshow/Bron Studios’ Joker is seeing a 5th weekend at 3,519 venues of $11.1M in 2nd place, -42%, for a running total of $296.8M. Pic will cross $300M in the coming week.

Focus Feature’s Harriet at 2,059 locations is seeing $4M today, for a $10.6M opening at the top of its projections.

Disney’s Maleficent: Mistress of Evil is seeing a third weekend of $10.4M in 4th place at 3,820, -46% for a running total of $82.5M by Sunday.

MGM/UAR’s Addams Family in weekend 4 at 3,607 locations is seeing $1.8M today and $7.2M for the weekend in 5th with a total Sunday of $84M.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

How did no one see this coming? Terminator was one of the most obvious bombs you could think of 

Seriously. All this Cameron return talk means nothing if he's not directing it. The trailers were pretty pedestrian and the last two films disappointed/flopped. Studios need to learn a lesson:  sometimes franchises need to end/die.