Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

3 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Top Gun 2 looks decent, tho. Dark Fate looked ugly, cheap and generic from the word go.

Also, completely different scenarios for two completely different movies. There's never been a Top Gun sequel. There's been five Terminators before this one. Why compare them? 

• Like 2

Terminator sequels would have been fine if they would stop spending 150-200 million dollars on them. I'm sorry but you can't go above 80-100 million for this series. If they can't make the movies for that price then they just stopped making them.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I haven't watched the new Terminator movie yet, but I'm not in a hurry...

Yesterday, my 7 years old daughter asked me why didn't Skynet just send a Terminator to kill baby Sarah Connor. I had no answer.

Maybe records indicating where she lived/was born didn't survive Judgement Day, so Skynet sent a Terminator to the earliest record of her location it had access to.

Edited by Orestes

2 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Maybe records indicating where she lived/was born didn't survive Judgement Day, so Skynet sent a Terminator to the earliest record of her location it had access to.

And why didnt they send a Terminator to a time before Judgement Day, when her birthplace was surely known by human authorities, so that Terminator could find it out and eliminate her?

The Terminator franchise was always absolutely nonsensical when it comes to its time travel (and to be fair, nearly every time travel movie is).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Terminator sequels would have been fine if they would stop spending 150-200 million dollars on them. I'm sorry but you can't go above 80-100 million for this series. If they can't make the movies for that price then they just stopped making them.

I don't think you can make Terminator for $80-100m, apart from the first, they've always been expensive films. T2 set the bar and you can't really down from that. It'd be like trying to make a Jurassic film for less than $100m.

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

and to be fair, nearly every time travel movie is

Amen. I'm always on the lookout for time travel movies/TV/books/whatever that are actually very well put together logically, just since they're so rare.

14 minutes ago, Orestes said:

They had the location but didn't even know what she looked like, in T1 the terminator goes systematically thru the phone book one by one. 

Just ignore Deadline mid-Friday for holdovers!     

Dark Fate bad, but I put down 33, expect it to rise into low 30s so I guess that works out well.

Nice for Harriet.   

Motherless Brooklyn not too surprising with the TC.  

Arctic Dogs atrocious but whatever.   

@Charlie Jatinder, any chance Joker will stay on top for a 5th weekend in Canada?

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think you can make Terminator for $80-100m, apart from the first, they've always been expensive films. T2 set the bar and you can't really down from that. It'd be like trying to make a Jurassic film for less than $100m.

I disagree. They just don't want to stop following the second movie. The series will never see success at a 185mil price point unless Cameron comes back and directs one. And brings Leo along with him for good measure.

56 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Family Addams and Maleficent are gonna need some serious fudging to reach 100M.

I'm with you on Addams, but I think Maleficent can still cross the mark easily. If that weekend holds, it gets to 105M if it follows the rest of Dumbo's run. And Mal2 already held better and earnedd a larger raw gross for weekend 2 and 3 (again if it holds) than Dumbo did.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

T2 still got a major chunk of its impact from the pure horror tension of an unstoppable relentless force pursuing the heroes. If you're just gonna make needless Terminator movies, might as well save money by concentrating on the thriller aspect of it and using the effects sparingly and for maximum effect (but then, of course, you'd probably need an actual filmmaker who has the skill and intelligence to do that, rather than a hack surrounded by an army of producers and writers and VFX people...) I feel like watching people get chased and survive is more fundamentally appealing in this franchise than watching crazily expensive set-pieces.