Eric the Fall Guy

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

Really feel bad for the new actors and Linda. Linda didn't even want to come back but JC convinced her. Now it is looking like a bad decision. 

James Cameron, the producer, has an awful record at boxoffice. Should be embarrassed as he really put his name out there for 2 movies this year and both sadly flopped...one in a spectacular fashion which was not expected. At least 450M ww was expected. Now even 300 is out of question.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Audiences are loving a Terminator movie again, that's all that matters.

Lame attempt to put a good face on a box office disaster.

And it matters since it means we won';t be getting any more terminator movies for a long long time.

Edited by dudalb

It is becoming obvious that women simply aren't interested in JC's women centric action movies. To them they want larger than life invincible like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. Not the whole vulnerable as hell but kicking ass type like Ripley and Connor.

That and the comments he has made in the past 2-3 years has dented his reputation among film circles/ female geeks. They are not supporting his movies even if they get decent/good reviews. A silent revolt of sorts. 

BTW I would love to see Mackenzie Davis as Sue Storm/Invisible Woman in a MCU Fantastic Four. Could be the much needed big break.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Lame attempt to put a good face on a box office disaster.

And it matters since it means we won';t be getting any more terminator movies for a long long time.

Being loved by audiences means Paramount will continue to make money on it for years to come. Fans will always want to watch it again, whether it's on DVD, on TV, on streaming, or whatever the next form of consumption. They will eventually make a profit with this film. It's not a bomb, just a long term investment. A bomb is when the movie is bad and forgettable.

• Haha 1

Being loved by audiences means Paramount will continue to make money on it for years to come. Fans will always want to watch it again, whether it's on DVD, on TV, on streaming, or whatever the next form of consumption. They will eventually make a profit with this film. 

Actually, RT critics and audience scores are both 69% for dark fate, and I don't know if that qualifies as "love".   I don't trust RT's "verified" audience rating (I always buy tickets as a walk-in.  Not going to pay more and use Fandango just to leave a "verified review")

Edited by cedec0

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think the fact that this movie is supposedly "fine" makes it more likely to be forgotten than the entries in the franchise that are pieces of shit.

Agree. The only two memorable Terminator movies were the first two. Dark fate is just like Terminator 3. Decent but very forgettable.

Well, that is indeed terrible for Terminator, but it was the easiest fail to see coming all year. Literally no one was asking for yet another one of these. Hopefully they'll finally let it die for good this time.

Those would be really strong numbers for Harriet though. Between good reviews, good box office, and a good studio behind it I think Erivo is safely in for a Best Actress nom.

32 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Being loved by audiences means Paramount will continue to make money on it for years to come. Fans will always want to watch it again, whether it's on DVD, on TV, on streaming, or whatever the next form of consumption. They will eventually make a profit with this film. It's not a bomb, just a long term investment. A bomb is when the movie is bad and forgettable.

That sounds like the kind of crap a studio PR hack puts out when a film has flopped badly....

But keep living in your own little reality.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Agree. The only two memorable Terminator movies were the first two. Dark fate is just like Terminator 3. Decent but very forgettable.

I really think the basic idea behind the Terminator franchise is limited; you can get a couple of really good movies out of it;after that it's just recycling and rehashing what has gone before 

• Like 1

How on earth was this granted a budget of $185m? If Genisys was considered a failure ($155m budget, $90m domestic, $440 global), why did they throw even more money at the wall, as if that would cure all that ails? I don't think James Cameron understands problem solving in a way that doesn't involves just more buckets of cash.

10 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

How on earth was this granted a budget of $185m? If Genisys was considered a failure ($155m budget, $90m domestic, $440 global), why did they throw even more money at the wall, as if that would cure all that ails? I don't think James Cameron understands problem solving in a way that doesn't involves just more buckets of cash.

They must've insanely overestimated how excited people were (surprise twist: they weren't at all) to see Linda Hamilton return.

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Really feel bad for the new actors and Linda. Linda didn't even want to come back but JC convinced her. Now it is looking like a bad decision. 

James Cameron, the producer, has an awful record at boxoffice. Should be embarrassed as he really put his name out there for 2 movies this year and both sadly flopped...one in a spectacular fashion which was not expected. At least 450M ww was expected. Now even 300 is out of question.

@IronJimbo and @Deuce66 would like to have a word with you.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

The Dark Tower, Dark Phoenix, Terminator: Dark Fate ...

I guess studios need to learn that the The Dark Knight Movies didnt earn a billion dollars for their dark titles alone.

Dark Universe...

• Like 1