TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

how can they bring back Scarlet Witch as a good guy when she has brutally killed so many innocent people?

She's also sorta dead/magically "something'd"...although that doesn't tend to matter in comics.

She would have been a great Avengers lead after Wandavision...til they torched that in MoM...

So, Spidey is #1 by default, which is not really Disney's desire, b/c they don't actually control him fully...they'd LOVE someone else getting more popular...

If I was betting on Avengers line ups, I'd bet Wong/Strange, Spidey, and other - both Wong and Strange play well off Spidey and Wong may actually be more popular and is the sorceror supreme...in the comics, Shuri and Spidey have had great interactions, too...so if I was stealing comics and going with the popular crew, my Avengers would be Sorceror, Spidey, Shuri with 2-3 fill-ins to round out a 6 person team (depending if you're not taking the whole sorceror team)...and 1 fill in is almost certainly Shang-Chi, who I guess is connected to Wong, so does fall in easily if Wong is on the team...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Yes, so what people like @ThomasNicole are suggested is these movies would still be in development but in that interval there’d be shows. People obviously don’t mean start development in four years but for the movies at least to have longer development time both to increase quality and to give a bit more of a break.

They're already doing that though. Feige literally had an interview this week talking about it.

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

how can they bring back Scarlet Witch as a good guy when she has brutally killed so many innocent people?

That was all during darkhold corruption, it’s a pretty straightforward justification as redemption arcs go

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They're already doing that though. Feige literally had an interview this week talking about it.

Yes I did read that article, good on them and I hope quality improves and better to fix the problem now than later, however what was being suggested was a movie hiatus apart from shows was suggested right after Endgame, not in the middle of the phase. I feel you’re being obtuse because some people are a bit down on the MCU.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

You think these are going to make nearly half a billion less than the previous ones did? Quantumania isnt looking at that kind of drop from the last one even with these reviews.

That's because MCU has a certain floor, so not everything is gonna have the same percentage drop.

I mean... Spider-Man never stopped being Marvel most popular character in any piece of media ever and will continue to be that way for a long time. Spider and Batman are easily the most popular superheroes, which can be profitable no matter who plays them, if there is a connected universe or not, what is the version of the character, if it's a reboot or not, etc.
The thing is that despite him being the biggest character, I don't think that makes him a good candidate to lead the Avengers at all. That was hardly ever the case for the comics and he was most of the time doing his own shit in New York, which honestly is where he shines brighter IMO.
I think of Spidey as more of a special cameo or coadjuvant in Avengers movies like Civil War and definitely not THE frontman of The Avengers.

31 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

The fact that we don't have a clear squad of Avengers for Kang Dynasty and people are wondering who are the key players shows how badly MCU has done since EG.

We should know the leads by this time next year. I don’t see what’s the big deal about that. Guessing who will be on the team is half the fun. I don’t think anyone was expecting that line up for Thunderbolts…for better or worse.

Edited by eddyxx

41 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It was between July 2019 and July 2021. They only released TV shows and didn't have a regular theatrical release till September 2021.

If you're defining "hiatus" as "not working on anything at all", that's not a hiatus, that's the studio being shut down.

As for the shows "being produced alongside the movies" (what did you not want multiple projects being made at once, something literally every single studio does?) I genuinely don't know what you wanted there

Yeah 2 years is not a hiatus, pretty much all franchises take 2-3 years between one movie to the other and nobody thinks it's a hiatus because that's the normal for Hollywood 

Anyway dude, i don't want anything, you're the one who always get deffensive with everyone who makes a critique of the Marvel state since phase 4 and the tone of your responses always reads as "everything is great and you're all haters" 

But things aren't great, i don't know what else need to happen for eveyone agreed something is very wrong on the creative department and deadline productions and it's even something recurrent at this point to a point it's affecting their numbers, we're just discussing that which is normal for a box office forum and imagining what they could've made different to avoid this. 

But it is what it is, there's no point to keep arguing so i'll leave it here, they have to find a solution for their issues while keeping the projects going and i do wish luck for them because i like Marvel, i just refuse to pretend it's okay because they can do better than they're doing.

• Like 5

Just now, belblazer said:

53% on RT with 145 reviews, 40% top critics and down to 49 on Metacritic with 46 reviews.

first mcu movie under 50 on mc

1 minute ago, belblazer said:

53% on RT with 145 reviews, 40% top critics and down to 49 on Metacritic with 46 reviews.

At this point I can’t care about the reviews unless it bottoms out to a

magnificent 10%. That would be amazing and set the fandom on fire.

33 minutes ago, YM! said:

Yes, so what people like @ThomasNicole are suggested is these movies would still be in development but in that interval there’d be shows. People obviously don’t mean start development in four years but for the movies at least to have longer development time both to increase quality and to give a bit more of a break.

Exactly, i don't know what's so hard to understand about what i said. 

LucasFilm have a movie coming in June but they don't release a movie since 2019, and it's known they are rethinking their whole production system after the failures (which is still succesful just like MCU) 

The production details about MOM is absolutely insane, with Waldron writing it on the set while Raimi was shooting what they already have written and testing things with no clear direction of how the movie would be beyond that, all of this to meet the deadline. 

Of course Marvel should develop movies all the time but they can do it right and give it 4-5 years if necessary instead of 2 years for such an event like MOM (which was supposed to be even less before the pandemic hits). 

From the first results it could go as low as less than 500 mln worldwide, like 450-460 mln, US would have to do some heavy lifting to carry it over 500 mln. So there's a good chance it could be a real disaster and heads would be rolling.

Edited by Firepower