TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

Not the Angela Basset thing again lol 

We don't care! Good for her and that's it 

And yes of course anything under 200M is a colossal bomb ffs, this is post IW / EG, is presenting the big bad new villain and it had 4 years of inflation 

It will make 250M tho (which is still meh at best)

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not the Angela Basset thing again lol 

We don't care! Good for her and that's it 

And yes of course anything under 200M is a colossal bomb ffs, this is post IW / EG, is presenting the big bad new villain and it had 4 years of inflation 

It will make 250M tho (which is still meh at best)

MCU is an awards contender!!!

The overseas number seem way more concerning.

• Like 1

It's time Ant-Man & The Wasp got some anti-slander.

Is it perfect? No, none of these films are. There's three or four ongoing plot threads that are forced to overlap unnaturally. The plot elements surrounding "Ghost" and Laurence Fishburne are contrived to create artificial tension (this film didn't need a villain honestly, the quest to find Janet could have stood on it's own. Maybe make Goggins the central obstacle, tone down his theatricality, make him more menacing) Luis' business subplot is entirely redundant. Michelle Pfeiffer completely wasted (though thankfully Quantumania, with all it's flaws, gave her something to do)

That said...

The core plot is character driven, feels like the natural continuation of the first film, is very well setup with the prologue scene. The film's heart is strong throughout (Quantumania felt soulless).

It's very funny. Paul Rudd doing a Pfeiffer impression for 3 minutes was hilarious. Him shrunk down to grade-school size was great. Randall Park always gets me. The continued use of objects changing sizes (which was pretty much gone from Quantumania). Walton Goggins was a hoot, even if he did step out of a completely different movie.

So much was shot in-camera. If I recall, Hank's lab where much of the film takes place was Marvel's largest practical set at the time.

It exists essentially standalone, except for the credits scene. Very minimal MCU investment needed to fully enjoy this.

Don't recall any of the visual effects being terrible, although Hank's journey into the Quantum Realm at the end looked too green-screeny at times.

All in all, it straddled a fine line between weird, accessible, funny, heartfelt, self-contained, and with some truly unique setups that would be hard to imagine in any other MCU film, or most other blockbusters. And it's my favorite of the trilogy.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It was one of the best theatrical experiences ever, but doesn't hold up so well watching it on a couch at home 

Maybe is culture difference,Most view on Chinese internet is that Tom Holland in the movie is so “The mother Mary”,like he always want to save everyone then get everyone killed….

Edited by Sophia Jane

11 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Maybe is culture difference,Most view on Chinese internet is that Tom Holland in the movie is so “The mother Mary”,like he always want to save everyone then get everyone killed….

Yeah a cultural thing. NWH hype was up there with Endgame and The Force Awakens here in the states 

25 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It was one of the best theatrical experiences ever, but doesn't hold up so well watching it on a couch at home 

Difference between IW/EG and NWH is this for me.

While all 3 were some of the best theatrical experiences for me, IW and EG genuinely hold up at home watching on mobile. They are solid solid movies regardless of theatre or home.

NWH doesn't, at times you can even see that how they has pauses for where they thought audience would cheer, with the characters holding poses, Dr Strange being dumb and overall story not being as strong as IW/EG

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Umm, the naysayers who are celebrating its RT score seem equally if not more toxic lol. And these are the people who will go "see the movie for yourself!" for their favorite franchise.

I seem to recall you supporting presumptuous negative opinions about The Flash in the other thread and laugh-reacting to anyone hoping that it's a critical and commercial success. Fans often have biases toward other franchises in favor of their own, this is nothing new.

Ideally we'd all be open to anything of quality, but that doesn't happen as often as we'd like to believe. I love much of the MCU output through Phase 3, but have been thoroughly disappointed since. DC has obviously been a trainwreck with a few bright spots.

Edited by Dragoncaine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Landon1195 said:

These OS numbers for Quantumania are getting me worried that GOTG Vol. 3 is going to underperform overseas. I think it will do great domestically but I am worried on how it will do internationally. 

MCU seems to be becoming more domestic heavy in general.