sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

16 minutes ago, kitik said:On the downside, Terminator, Dr Sleep, and CA all got fairly decent reviews, so what's going on? 

Because Terminator looked like shit you could see on the Syfy channel

Dr. Sleep was too long for audiences and Stephen King brand has been always a tricky sell for the most part with a few exceptions

Charlie’s Angels is a dead brand. The 2011 tv show was cancelled after a few epsisodes, and Full Throttle back in 2003 fudged its way to $100 million and did way less than its predecessor worldwide. Also the stars aren’t going to sell the film, Kristen Stewart isn’t a draw and I don’t think anyone is going to rush to see Elizabeth Banks as Bosley either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Yeah but they also killed Affleck's McDonald's Monopoly movie, that had a lot of potential

To be fair, Affleck is in both the movies filmlover mentioned. It could just be a case of Affleck's hands being full, and he had to throw one of them away (of course, that doesn't mean it can't reappear again)

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

um probably a bit less than most.

Brie Larson, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, Robert Pattinson, Jake Gyllenhaal, Jennifer Lawrence, James McaVoy, Margot Robbie, Hailee Steinfeld, Benedict Cumberbatch, Zendaya, Bradley Cooper, Hugh Jackman, Natalie Portman, Michael B. Jordan and Amy Adams to name a few.

I think jury's out on half of them. Young ones can go either way. Goop is an Oscar winner without an acting career, for example. I'd say Cooper and Adams are definitely up there with Bale though they aren't nearly as prominent in SH movies as actors who carry their franchises. Virtually anyone is in SH movies there days. The trick is what happens during and after. Bale got big after.

Edited by Valonqar

It's a testament to Bale's talent that a year after that rant leaked he won an Oscar. That would have killed almost any other actor's career stone dead.

(The youtube remixes and parodies probably helped by making it funny.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hatebox said:

It's a testament to Bale's talent that a year after that rant leaked he won an Oscar. That would have killed almost any other actor's career stone dead.

this is so true, but bale is considered an acting god....you can't interrupt his scene

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm glad that AMPAS went for talent rather than pander to cancel culture. Bale was a deserving winner.

That rant is epic meme. "We are done professionally". Epic. :bravo:

Well it helped it was ten years ago before social media took/cancel culture took off. Who knows how it would have gone down if it happened today 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Well it helped it was ten years ago before social media took/cancel culture took off. Who knows how it would have gone down if it happened today 

probably the same if he was undeniable. Casey Affleck's case was more recent and serious yet no eye rolling from CM stopped that train. And lets not forget Green Book backlash that only created sympathy for the movie and maybe even a little bit of rebellion (you can't tell me what to like/dislike). 

53 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ford is looking at a big increase today. I am thinking 40% is possible. let us see how things go.

Was hoping for 40%, but like 35% would be good too. Probably 31-32M-ish from there.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ford is looking at a big increase today. I am thinking 40% is possible. let us see how things go.

40% off of true Friday? 

Hoping conservatively for 12+ Saturday and 9+ Sunday. 32 would be awesome.

Edited by cdsacken

29 minutes ago, RichWS said:

FvF is damn good fun. Easy to see WOM being great.

I just got home a little bit ago from watching this movie. Yeah I liked it a lot. The couple people I talked to going out of theater really enjoyed it too

Definitely one of the better movies I have seen in a theater this year

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

can a cameraman walk in front of Bale again? I want to see a sequel to the Godfather of celebrity meltdowns

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

(The youtube remixes and parodies probably helped by making it funny.)

This one was my favorite. I spent Terminator: Salvation waiting for "the scene", probably the only reason I saw it. 

53 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

probably the same if he was undeniable. Casey Affleck's case was more recent and serious yet no eye rolling from CM stopped that train. And lets not forget Green Book backlash that only created sympathy for the movie and maybe even a little bit of rebellion (you can't tell me what to like/dislike). 

Casey Affleck was earlier in 2017, before #MeToo later that fall. Just a year after his win, he skipped the Oscar ceremony because it was made clear he would not be welcome there in the immediate wake of #TimesUp. If that movement happens a year earlier,  maybe Denzel does win for Fences. 

And I don't believe this personally, but there are conspiracy theories that the Academy somehow swapped in Denzel for James Franco in Best Actor that year to avoid having a guy with multiple accusers being nominated. OTOH, Gary Oldman steamrolled to the win despite his ex-wife's accusations, but people could say, divorces can be contentious, he got custody, she also lost custody of her other kid with Fincher, another ex-wife (Lesley Manville) is also a nominee and isn't trashing him at every turn, so maybe he's not the bad guy here, etc. 

On one hand, Green Book won Best Picture despite all its controversies, though it missed a directing nomination. OTOH, you have to wonder, without #MeToo, maybe Bryan Singer never goes AWOL from the set, he never gets fired and isn't disgraced. Do Singer and the movie end up winning Oscars instead? I mean, they really, really responded to BoRhap...

• Like 1