TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Just realized in addition to plagiarizing some other classic, I can’t shake the feeling that Phillips will romanticize the Joker x Harley relationship, unironically.

Oh well, the musical sequences look very great.

It's interesting.  What picked up from the trailer is that Harley Quinn is even crazier than Arthur Fleck, if in a different way.  Harley Quinn making the Joker crazier would be an interesting inversion on the classic Harley/Joker tale.

Also leaves room for some commentary on toxic relationships and how they can lead to mutual destruction.

Can't really point to anything in particular, though if pressed there are a couple of things in there.  More a vibe thing at the moment.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I merely liked the first movie and found the hysteria that surrounded its release completely unwarranted but that was an incredible trailer. I'm hyped.

the first movie's first trailer, now that was an amazing trailer! must have seen it 20+ times the week it released

found this one to be just ok, and it actually gave me something to worry about: that todd might think he made an all-timer with the first joker and what that might mean for this one's writing 

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

49 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I mean...I guess it looks fine? Gonna make a bajillion dollars, and I'm happy for Gaga, but it just looks like more of the tryhard silliness from before.

What makes something "try hard"?   What's the difference between paying homage and "try hard"?    Nobody ever actually explains that.  There's several directors who have based their entire filmmaking careers on studying and then paying homage to other directors.  

It seems to me like the main difference is whether you are interested in the content or not.  If you are,  it's a homage.  If you aren't,  it's "try hard." 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

What makes something "try hard"?   What's the difference between paying homage and "try hard"?    Nobody ever actually explains that.  There's several directors who have based their entire filmmaking careers on studying and then paying homage to other directors.  

It seems to me like the main difference is whether you are interested in the content or not.  If you are,  it's a homage.  If you aren't,  it's "try hard." 

the quality of being "try-hardy" does not necessarily imply it's trying to emulate a specific something

the scene of Harley's lipsticks on the visitor window forming the Joker's smile was certainly too much

• ...wtf 4

will the songs be dubbed for international audiences? wonder if that might limit it's gross a bit, since the first one relied quite a bit on europe 

joker and Harley singing "singing in the rain" = cool and possible hook

jokey and harlet singing "cantando bajo la lluva"/"chanter sous la pluie"/"雨に唄えば"/"Singen im Regen" = less cool and less of a hook

24 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

found this one to be just ok, and it actually gave me something to worry about: that todd might think he made an all-timer with the first joker and what that might mean for this one's writing 

Well, he did make an all timer with the first

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's interesting.  What picked up from the trailer is that Harley Quinn is even crazier than Arthur Fleck, if in a different way.  Harley Quinn making the Joker crazier would be an interesting inversion on the classic Harley/Joker tale.

Also leaves room for some commentary on toxic relationships and how they can lead to mutual destruction.

Can't really point to anything in particular, though if pressed there are a couple of things in there.  More a vibe thing at the moment.

Want to add a bit to this, @YM!, after thinking about it some more.

I think I know where you're coming from when it comes to a trepidation to a Harley/Joker relationship being viewed as Unironically A Good Thing™.  I want to say right off the bat that Harley Quinn is one of my favorite additions to DC from the last few decades.  Her character is just such a breath of fresh air in many many ways, and let's face it she was portrayed brilliantly in the first animated series she debuted in (as well as nearly everything else since).

Even her (mostly) one sided affection with the Joker worked in those first animated series, when that was a thing.  With one notable exception.  I have always had... mixed feelings regarding the origin of her affections as a part of her overall origin tale.  It may not be part of the infamous soap opera trope of "Fall in love with your rapist", but it's maybe a second or third cousin removed in that Joker's mental manipulations helped "birthed" the Harley Quinn persona in the first place.  Could make a decent tale about the dangers of grooming there, in fact.  So I've always been a little bit... uneasy about that side of the equation.

On the other hand, having Dr. Harleen Quinzel be a professional and very competent person that still succumbed to her own inner demons (if after a shove or three) *ALSO* works as part of the origin tale, and that's how I personally square the circle by more focusing on that aspect than the Joker manipulation part. 

So if the film was going to set up THAT as part of a Fleck/Quinn romance I would be very concerned.

But if Quinn is already well on her way to being broken and she has her own motivations and drives and she is in control of her own destiny... Well, it's the difference between character agency and not (which as you probably know is one of my hobby horses lately when it comes to characterization).  It turns Harley Quinn from being a victim to being... well, whatever she is in this film.  And that's worth seeing where it goes.

Personally, I'm betting on: Ending Not Well At All.

But even the origin itself looks different enough that I am gonna give this a bit more room than I would a more standard Harely Quinn/Joker "romance".

(no, really though, they really ought to explore the dangers of toxic relationships)

• Heart 2

Can't believe it's been 5 years. This looks like a very good sequel.  Joaquin might get back to back Oscars because he really picked up where he left off.  Gaga Will be in the hunt, her character looked just as crazy as him. She really made it her own thing.   Could back to back Billion be in play?  I definitely think it will beat Dunes numbers.   Yes Sequels mostly drop so I wouldn't be shocked by a small drop.  Regardless, I think it will be another big hit again.  Also I believe this could be a Trilogy now.  

48 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What makes something "try hard"?   

Blockbuster cinema is dead. So a tentpole that looks, feels and sounds like cinema will be seen as try-hard by many people in 2024. That's not what they're used to. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Blockbuster cinema is dead. So a tentpole that looks, feels and sounds like cinema will be seen as try-hard by many people in 2024. That's not what they're used to. 

Yep. For last couple of years big budget movies has zero personality.

Anyway, didn't like the first one that much but this looks better.

This type of big budget creativity is beloved by Gen Z and young millennials. This is going to be absolutely enormous pop culture moment, I suspect. Music may be even bigger than the film. It is actually remarkable how something which is so artistic and wild on paper is actually extremely commercial.

This is where film is in 2024 and it is honestly really exciting. The biggest films aren't cookie cutter sequels, rather they're outside the box takes on existing IP ala Joker, Barbie, etc. It feels very 1980ish.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yeah Imma say it. . .I don't like how they're turning this into a musical 

What if I told you that the musical aspects were central and necessary to the plot?

Not a leak, but a strong guess/reading the tea leaves:

Spoiler

That is, the "musical" numbers are delusions cooked up in the character's heads as an aspect of their shared insanity.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Yeah, this will be enormous. I love the social media side of things and this will be a phenomenon on TikTok. And TikTok blew up DM3 and Barbie. And if you think all the couples out there won’t dress up like Joker and Harley🤣

Edited by James