TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

When I said other movies I don’t mean other Batman or CBMs, I meant movies in general.

Well, if we go with all movies ever made, then most movies don't do anything new, everything was done in one way or the other.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Expecting the trailer to get to close to 1 million likes (would like to see it cross it though). 300k in about 7 hours. Probably getting to 700-800k within 24hours.

383k now, but at least here the trailer have a restriction age, so maybe that’s hurting it. 

Seems very big on Twitter and TikTok tho, huge hype 

1 hour ago, Cap said:

glaring at that pay gap 

true though her earnings from joker related music will likely result in total comp dwarfing that of phoenix 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cap said:

Because she is his co-Star, equally did the work (especially if there is dance and song routines involved), and 10000000000% a draw onto herself. Y’all think some would sit through this without her? 

Also, you know, women, historically, getting paid less for doing the same thing in this industry!!! 

Sexism exists ofc and I feel Gaga could have asked for more (unless she has backend deals) but TBF she REALLY wants that Oscar and Phillips is handing a golden opportunity to her on a silver platter which many may not post the Gucci snub which I feel was the elitist Academy telling her to stick to her lane (ditto for JLo and the Hustlers snub). Gaga might even stand a chance to be a double nominee/winner on the same night if she is credited for Best Original Song. So I feel this film and role are doing equally as much for her as she's doing for them.

OTOH no Phoenix, no movie. He already got HIS Oscar so he has far less inclination to return, so of course he can ask for whatever he wants.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Sexism exists ofc and I feel Gaga could have asked for more (unless she has backend deals) but TBF she REALLY wants that Oscar and Phillips is handing a golden opportunity to her on a silver platter which many may not post the Gucci snub which I feel was the elitist Academy telling her to stick to her lane (ditto for JLo and the Hustlers snub). Gaga might even stand a chance to be a double nominee/winner on the same night if she is credited for Best Original Song. So I feel this film and role are doing equally as much for her as she's doing for them.

OTOH no Phoenix, no movie. He already got HIS Oscar so he has far less inclination to return, so of course he can ask for whatever he wants.

Or she didn’t get the nom because House of Gucci sucks eggs.

The trailer is enormous across tiktok, instagram and twitter; gaga's post on insta alone has close to 20m views.

as someone who does not like the first one, this actually seems really intriguing and cinematically interesting in many ways. The umbrella of cherbourg reference, the smoking shot near the end, the focus changes in the last sequence and of course taking this in a completely renewed direction — take my money, my #2 most anticipated after Megalopolis now.

3 hours ago, Cap said:

glaring at that pay gap 

Gaga hasn't proven that she is a $20M-a-role movie star yet. A Star is Born was bigger than anyone excepted and despite mixed reviews and adult movies flopping during the pandemic, she drew people to House of Gucci. But 2 movies isn't enough to justify $20M. That $12M sounds about right. 

20 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

TBF she REALLY wants that Oscar and Phillips is handing a golden opportunity to her on a silver platter which many may not post the Gucci snub which I feel was the elitist Academy telling her to stick to her lane (ditto for JLo and the Hustlers snub). Gaga might even stand a chance to be a double nominee/winner on the same night if she is credited for Best Original Song.

she was already nominated for ASIB, her first leading role, unlike Lopez. the Academy simply didn’t like HOG and she simply wasn't strong enough to overcome the weaknesses of the film, despite hitting all the precursors. having a better campaign vehicle also benefited Cruz & Stewart whom were on the fault pre noms

Great teaser. I immediately jumped in the hype train when the musical thing was anounced, even though I'm neither a huge musical or Joker 1 fan. It just seemed very bold to take a movie so succesfull in such a different direction for the sequel. 

And it seems like it's paying off already. The footage looks great and I think the buzz wouldn't be the same with a more "normal" sequel. Even if it ends up with bad reception because of the musical aspect or because it's just bad, there's enough excitement/curiosity that at least financially it already looks safe.

About the actual footage I really liked that Harley is another patient already, really frees the movie up from the burdens of the usual Joker-Harley dynamic. These are the kind of comic book movies that should care the least about established lore. Unironically expect some  #NotMyJoker stuff going down by culture warriors in October, to what extent, I guess we will see.

• Like 1

Best Actress wasn't super competitive that year and the Academy voting body clearly didn't care that much for House of Gucci as a movie (just a lone Hair & Makeup nomination) but Gaga was probably #6. Last place was probably down to her, Kristen Stewart, and Alana Haim (who was nominated at BAFTA) and Stewart was the one who prevailed.

I think that pre-trailer teaser with Joker laughing in the rain actually hurt the trailer views of the actual trailer. For example on Twitter on the DiscussingFilm page the pre-trailer has 31m views in one day and the trailer has 12m in 15 hours.

Same story on the DC official IG page. Of course, WB doesn’t care about that because either way it’s hype for the movie but it makes it harder to track and compare the impact of the trailer. Maybe a poster like Deadpool did would have been better as a pre-trailer tease.

But yeah, this is enormous on TikTok, Twitter and IG. On YT I really think that warning is hurting it, especially giving how big it is on other platforms.

20 minutes ago, James said:

I think that pre-trailer teaser with Joker laughing in the rain actually hurt the trailer views of the actual trailer. For example on Twitter on the DiscussingFilm page the pre-trailer has 31m views in one day and the trailer has 12m in 15 hours.

Same story on the DC official IG page. Of course, WB doesn’t care about that because either way it’s hype for the movie but it makes it harder to track and compare the impact of the trailer. Maybe a poster like Deadpool did would have been better as a pre-trailer tease.

But yeah, this is enormous on TikTok, Twitter and IG. On YT I really think that warning is hurting it, especially giving how big it is on other platforms.

It's not the pre-teaser but the timing. Late evening Pacific drops have it harder than early morning drops like the pre-teaser as Asia is already sleeping and it's too late for some of Europe as well. Let's wait for the full 24 hours report IMO. This is obviously gigantic but there are still a few more hours for people getting back from work to view it for the very first time and drive up the ## even more.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1