TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

People have no idea what's going to happen here, and it feels exhilarating. If Disney wants to know their problem is, look no further.

"victory has defeated you"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

The more I think about it, the more I realize they not only aren't hiding the musical aspect, they're leaning heavily into it.

The opening shots of the color coded umbrellas are highly reminiscent of a choreographed musical number. 

The opening dialogue talks about The Power (and Importance) of Music.

The opening notes lead up to an iconic song of the 20th century.

Hell, the entire middle of the trailer is straight out of a song and dance number, right down to the spotlighted buildup of a main character. 

The only thing the film didn't do is have one of the characters turn to camera and say "THIS *IS* SPARTA A MUSICAL!!!"

Now unlike you, I don't know enough about the History of Musicals to be able to tell just exactly what they were channeling here.  But it was clear as day to me what type of film this is gonna be.

it’s giving me such All The Jazz vibes. Like I want the whole movie to just be Bye Bye Love on steroids. 

(Just our luck, we’ll get New York, New York 😤)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

People have no idea what's going to happen here, and it feels exhilarating. If Disney wants to know their problem is, look no further.

"victory has defeated you"

People complained about the $200M budget but it looks and feels very expensive and well crafted. 

• Like 1

I was expecting the trailer to either be really bad or really good, and glad to see it was REALLY good.

This movie looks like a totally mad gamble, and I think it's going to pay off.

Haters and doubters are in shambles. Pour one out for them the next few months as the hype builds.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Give me a Lawrence Sher (one of the most underrated cinematographers working rn) academy award win this year.

Actually want to compliment the cinematography here.  One of the things that I detest in modern filmmaking (and something that @Cap has also been railing against) is that IT IS SO FUCKING HARD TO SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE SCREEN SOMETIMES.

Here though?  Nearly everything was well lit, at least to my eyes.  Even the darkened spotlight knew how to balance dark against light to set the contrast.  No squinting at trying to see what is going on in a rainy scene. You had pale-ish light blue to denote "dark" scenes as opposed to more murky, hard to see things.   You could actually see the characters in the dark theater room.  And so on and so on and so on.

Instead of putting folks in darkness, the colors at times looked more desaturated to convey a similar mood (may not be the right word for the term, but that's what I'm going with).  In another shot, characters emerged from shadows into a dark blue. but still lit enough that you could actually see them.

I mean, there still are a couple of scenes where you couldn't see the  character's faces, but compared to a lot of modern movies and TV shows?  Just a breath of fresh air. 

Whole movie may not be like that, but I do think it is something worth noting.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

4 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the callback to the stair dance (they both do the exact same kick dance move) is embarrassing and has me worried that they might be taking itself too seriously; all the nominations might have gone to Philips's  head

without the absurdity and the humor that is derived from it, joker is a bang average scorcese-wannabe crazy person drama; if they are really going to start treating the staircase scene as this super strong dramatic moment worth referencing as anything more than a fun/funny moment, then I think they've gotten the wrong message from joker's success

4 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

found this one to be just ok, and it actually gave me something to worry about: that todd might think he made an all-timer with the first joker and what that might mean for this one's writing 

3 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the quality of being "try-hardy" does not necessarily imply it's trying to emulate a specific something

the scene of Harley's lipsticks on the visitor window forming the Joker's smile was certainly too much

You talk too much, man. Sometimes it's ok to not say anything at all.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can remember only one other use of "Why do birds suddenly appear" - that was in The Simpsons movie to show that their marriage had become toxic. And now again for a toxic relationship. 

The video on YouTube has a trigger warning for self-harm and Suicide which will likely limit it's reach a bit but the buzz is definitely big 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I can remember only one other use of "Why do birds suddenly appear" - that was in The Simpsons movie to show that their marriage had become toxic. And now again for a toxic relationship. 

Also used in the tv show Alan Partridge to highlight another doomed romance. Partridge was of course played by Steve Coogan who now appears to be Joker’s therapist, or something, so in my head-cannon it’s a deliberate call-back to that  

Edited by Hatebox

32 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The video on YouTube has a trigger warning for self-harm and Suicide which will likely limit it's reach a bit but the buzz is definitely big 

That was added at some point tonight after it debuted, I believe, as I don't recall seeing it there when it first went up.  I don't know if it was flagged enough times or if it hit an internal review on its own.

For what it's worth, can still be seen without an account, so probably won't matter all that much in the end.

Edited by Porthos

I’m intrigued, but not sold. It really depends on just how much of a musical it ends up being. If it’s La La Land with the Joker then count me out.

For what it’s worth, I think @Porthos is right about:

Spoiler

The musical sections being part of a shared delusion, but that doesn’t suddenly make those scenes less cringey to me as someone who can’t stand musicals.

Who am I kidding though, I’ll probably still watch it and suffer through the singing. It’s definitely going to be a zeitgeist film that everyone is going to want to watch.

• Like 1

For someone who love the first one so much to the point of placing it as the best of movie of the year 2019, I am not as hyped this round simply because I thought the original work great as standalone feature.

But now I am curious what they have in mind for this sequel because just how the teaser showcase the “beauty among chaos”. I am glad they are still attempting to make this as special as possible, so that they can maintain certain level of novelty for a character that had been interpreted many many times. 

55 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Youtube is the worst, it doesn't have a single shot warning refers to.

28 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Youtube is the worst, it doesn't have a single shot warning refers to.

Yes it does.  The finger gun to the head from Harley Quinn depicts someone going  "HA HA I'm contemplating suicide - JUST KIDDING .... or am I"

I mean, yes it is something of an edge case.  But that look she gives right after the feigned blow-my-own-brains-out gesture is someone who isn't entirely saying "ha ha, jk".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes it does.  The finger gun to the head from Harley Quinn depicts someone going  "HA HA I'm contemplating suicide - JUST KIDDING .... or am I"

I mean, yes it is something of an edge case.  But that look she gives right after the feigned blow-my-own-brains-out gesture is someone who isn't entirely saying "ha ha, jk".

Much much MUCH more relevantly, "joking about killing oneself" is taken incredibly seriously by some folks in Real Life (including some folks I personally know), as one can never be sure that they really are 'just kidding' — as such I can see how a depiction of someone playing that out in a scene might warrant a Trigger Warning, especially about a film with folks already in a mental institution/prison.

Would I have slapped a Trigger Warning on that scene?  Probably not.  Can I see why someone might have, given its global reach?

Eh.  Not gonna lose sleep over it *or* mock it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

That last moment is great. 

It looks lovely. It doesn’t look like $200m, but I guess salaries will be very high. 

I’m intrigued. It has an uphill battle, because a lot of people who went to see the first film might not think it needed a sequel, but we’ll see. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That last moment is great. 

It looks lovely. It doesn’t look like $200m, but I guess salaries will be very high. 

$52m alone for Gaga ($12m), Phillips ($20m), and Phoenix ($20m).   So, yeah, a tiny bit higher.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1