Eric Duncan

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Frozen 85.25 3-Day, 123.75 5-Day. Thanksgiving record! | KO 27/41.7, FvF 13.2/19, ABDITN 11.8/17.3, Q&S 11.7/15.8 | BLACK FRIDAY SALE UNTIL SUNDAY - GOLD ACCOUNTS 25% OFF

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

10.75-11.25

Woooo

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

but original, high concept material in quality hands - people will come out. 

I saw Knives Out today and really enjoyed it. But I’d describe it as strictly “low concept”. That’s part of why it worked so well. 

• Like 1

Dont forget that Saturday will be flat and / or + /-5% or so. Its like having 2 Saturdays back to back. Followed by minimum -40% on Sunday for most films (if not higher). So today is the best day of the weekend by far. Especially for Knives and Frozen. 

• Like 1

Jedi again thanks! Appreciate knowing how well things are going for the big films on discussion. 

Sets Frozen up nicely for a run at 90m! Knives will definitely be over 25m be curious how far over 27m it can get. 40m 5 day seems assured barring some crazy bad hold. 

22 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

We must be looking at a near $30 million 3-day for Knives Out - which would put it in the $45 million range for the holiday. 
For the industry this is a huge win....an original, well reviewed mainstream movie doing excellent numbers against a behemoth. 

After the Charlie’s Angels/Terminator/Sleep calamity, this message must surely be loud and clear. Sure...the right franchise, but original, high concept material in quality hands - people will come out.  Don’t spend $150 million + on a sequel to a has-been when you can trounce it with a new high-concept movie for less than a third!! It’s not rocket science.  They’re worth the risk!!!!

For every film like kn a dozen flop though

It's really hard to.manufacture a profitable hit original film..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Dont forget that Saturday will be flat and / or + /-5% or so. Its like having 2 Saturdays back to back. Followed by minimum -40% on Sunday for most films (if not higher). So today is the best day of the weekend by far. Especially for Knives and Frozen. 

Ralph 2 did -37%. So close to 40 but could be less.

• Like 2

Family went to see Knives Out today. They were having projector issues where it would flicker from normal to like half power and back every couple of seconds.    

I sort of got used to it, but they gave everybody a voucher for a free showing when we were coming out, so that was pretty convenient. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Ralph 2 did -37%. So close to 40 but could be less.

True that.... sea of 40s (and several 50s) but Ralph and Grinch did manage upper 30s. Forgot about that from when I looked the other day. Seems to me indies also did "well" lol in the well of what this Sunday represents. 

Edited by narniadis

3 hours ago, ElsaRoc said:

Do any of them have the showstopping power of Let It Go? I'm not sure, but even if not, overall it's a stronger, more balanced selection. 

I think Show Yourself competes very well with Let It Go as far as showstoppers go.

The emotional punch and animation in that sequence are top notch.

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Saw knives out. It was just okayish to me. Murder mysteries aren’t really my cup of tea. I could see the ending coming from a mile away. I’m sure others will like it more than me. My favorite rian Johnson movie is still Looper.

Very impressive.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Good Murder mysteries is more about the journey i think? 

Yeah. You want the finish to be well supported by foreshadowing so it doesn’t just feel impossible/asspull-y and you can feel clever for catching the foreshadowing on rewatches. In this case I would have preferred if it was slightly harder to figure out, but the characters are great fun, paced well, acted well, etc.

21 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Knives Out is a great time at the theater. Not an awards film by any stretch, but tightly written and plotted out for us that enjoy mysteries. 

Glad its doing well at the box office!

Not even original screenplay?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Not even original screenplay?

Not in my opinion, but then again, I haven't seen much in the way of possible contenders for that category. It might if its weak enough overall, but theres nothing to me that screams top level must be one of the 5. 

• Like 1

Well my frozen playlist starts and ends with Let it go so it's easy for me to rank. I like Frozen 2's soundtrack a lot more that frozen. All is found is magical it's probably my favourite. I like both versions of the song. Into the unknown is awesome too,Didn't like Panic's version but Idina's version is great. Elsa is so sassy in that song. Show yourself is great too But what I love about let it go is all the lead up to the song when she runs away and freezes everything. I wish they did the same with show yourself. It felt a bit rushed IMO. Anyway I'll be watching this movie again soon cause I was a little too excited the first time. Both Elsa musical numbers are glorious.

• Like 1