Eric Duncan

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND THREAD | Frozen 85.25 3-Day, 123.75 5-Day. Thanksgiving record! | KO 27/41.7, FvF 13.2/19, ABDITN 11.8/17.3, Q&S 11.7/15.8 | BLACK FRIDAY SALE UNTIL SUNDAY - GOLD ACCOUNTS 25% OFF

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

I never said nobody watches such films in theaters, its that audiences are more willing to skip over them and wait for Netflix...

For every KO though there are a dozen films like it that dont do well though....

I would request to find a post where i said KO would not do well because unlike many other mid budget films that failed so badly, any rational person could realize the buzz around KO made it stand apart.  

You spent the past two years saying that the moviegoing experience was DEAD and that people were only interested in watching blockbusters these days, of course you'll deny it now. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That film was marketed brilliantly though, and you could feel that there was an anticipation for an adaptation of it

True,although frozen 2 was also marketed very well and they both have practically the same audience.

So F2 almost doubles Frozen's OW and is somehow a disappointment? Guys, no fuckin way. It's a total success. Also, remember that TS4 was deemed disappointment (relative to inflated expectations) and it legged its way up. F2 

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So F2 almost doubles Frozen's OW and is somehow a disappointment? Guys, no fuckin way. It's a total success. Also, remember that TS4 was deemed disappointment (relative to inflated expectations) and it legged its way up. F2 

I still postulate TS4 over performed

2 minutes ago, Melosh said:

Had frozen 2 been live action it probably would have opened to 174+.🙃

Opening weekend record of $325M will be made in 2033 when live action Frozen opens on the 20th anniversary of the original Frozen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

You spent the past two years saying that the moviegoing experience was DEAD and that people were only interested in watching blockbusters these days, of course you'll deny it now. 

Yes and for every original film that breaks out like KO there are a dozen failures and I noticed you skipped over that point on purpose... 

Blockbusters were more dominate then ever this year, I dont think anyone can deny that objectively. 

I think 2020 will be a reprieve from blockbusters though and more original or smaller properties can break out as there is no guaranteed 400 million films next year. 

This year literally was apart from Aug to Oct (Joker and It 2 just box office deserts between Disney blockbusters... 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yes and for every original film that breaks out like KO there are a dozen failures.

And for every franchise film that recoups its budget, there are several bombs too. 

Terminator Dark Fate and Charlie’s Angels are just two recent examples of that. 

If a movie interests people enough they’re going to go. Whether it’s a franchise film or it’s an original film. That’s why you have so many sequels or franchise films of late that bomb at the box office. It’s not just enough to stick a franchise logo on a film and expect it to do well. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

And for every franchise film that recoups its budget, there are several bombs too. 

Terminator Dark Fate and Charlie’s Angels are just two recent examples of that. 

If a movie interests people enough they’re going to go. Whether it’s a franchise film or it’s an original film. That’s why you have so many sequels or franchise films of late that bomb at the box office. It’s not just enough to stick a franchise logo on a film and expect it to do well. 

I think when we talk about blockbusters I think we should refer to the Disney Machine really this year...

Apart from Joker or one or 2 other films I think most people have largely only seen Disney films this years in theaters. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

That’s a great number for Frozen II. It saw a huge increase on Tuesday and for it to increase another 14-15% on Wednesday is great. I know it’s a holiday but still. That’s a great number. 

Let’s see if the rest of the weekend can follow through.