cax16

Kingdom of the Planet Of The Apes | May 10, 2024 | Wes Ball to develop and direct

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

SO happy to be wrong on this one. Lol at Disney managing their fox IP substantially better than their home-grown IP tho 

Being the black sheep of the family usually means that your peers pay little attention to you, for better or worse. At least they won't meddle too much in whatever you're trying to do, unlike their golden boys.

• Like 1

The movie is slightly divisive, lots of people calling it highly cerebral while others calling it boring 

The consensus seems to be that the trailers did not sell the actual movie vibe 

Still, 86% with 60 reviews and 7.4 average

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 3

36 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The movie is slightly divisive, lots of people calling it highly cerebral while others calling it boring 

The consensus seems to be that the trailers did not sell the actual movie vibe 

Still, 86% with 60 reviews and 7.4 average

The movie is divisive! with 86% and 7.4 average!

Reminder, you don't have to play devil's advocate.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 2

38 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

The movie is divisive! with 86% and 7.4 average!

Reminder, you don't have to play devil's advocate.

Slightly is the key word here, maybe read it again next time? It’s at 66/100 on MC.

I’m not doing devil’s advocate for a movie with obvious good reviews, i just said there’s a SLIGHTLY divisive aspect about it’s tone that goes against the explosive trailers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am a ltttle dissapointed  in the the current series  because they don't even attempt the satire and social comment the original series had, but no way denying it has been sucessful.

People forget that the 1968 original was one of the first if not the first, Sci Fi films to become a really, really big blockbuster. There has been sucessful sci fi films before, but none came near to the kind of box office sucess Apes had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I am a ltttle dissapointed  in the the current series  because they don't even attempt the satire and social comment the original series had, but no way denying it has been sucessful.

People forget that the 1968 original was one of the first if not the first, Sci Fi films to become a really, really big blockbuster. There has been sucessful sci fi films before, but none came near to the kind of box office sucess Apes had.

I think the new trilogy had plenty of social commentary. And from a few reviews I've read on this one, it's pretty strongly making a comment on fascism.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

After so many years and guys still focus on this boring RT

Like it or not it's only gotten more prominent in the last few years. Everyone who follows movies cares about it as much as they like to pretend they don't.

The minutiae of following the ups and downs is fairly pointless, yes, but it does matter at a high level when people are trying to decide what movie they want to see this weekend.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

Is it just me, or is the box office tracking for this movie setting up to be a disappointment financially? Godzilla kotm had a 170M budget and was considered a disappointment with a 48M domestic opening. With Kingdom looking to open to something similar with a 160-165M budget, I'm surprised more aren't worried about it making a return on investment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Is it just me, or is the box office tracking for this movie setting up to be a disappointment financially? Godzilla kotm had a 170M budget and was considered a disappointment with a 48M domestic opening. With Kingdom looking to open to something similar with a 160-165M budget, I'm surprised more aren't worried about it making a return on investment. 

Everything is a disappointment these days. Just don’t embarrass yourself too much and at least meet expectations, and I’ll take it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I suspect Disney would rather spend $300 mil on the next one than use practical effects

I mean besides the apes looking a bit different because theyre not CGI anymore, I dont see a big problem. The monkey suits in the Planet of the Apes remake looked pretty real to me.

• Like 1

Planet of the Apes is kind of undervalued as an IP. The 2001 remake actually posted the second biggest opening weekend ever at the time. I think $50M would be seen as a solid start for this since it would put it on track to finish with a total similar to the previous one 7 years ago.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the movie will do good enough to get a sequel but bad enough that they have to ditch the cgi and put them back in monkey masks again.

Hey if they can dig up the Burton movie costumes it won't look half bad