Eric Duncan

No1Curr Weekend Thread: Playmobil $660K OW, one of the lowest in history for 2,000+ theaters

After seeing Knives Out last weekend, I saw Frozen II in IMAX today. I prefer this one to the original, although I think I see where the audience polarity to get an A- would originate. I'm glad to see it doing so well, and I'm definitely going to see it again.

The local cinema was still mobbed with Frozen II business when I went to see Last Christmas this afternoon. Granted, family movies have a long history of overperforming here, but still.

It's really a pretty standard post-Thanksgiving weekend. It has now been 16 years since a new release opened at #1 over this weekend (The Last Samurai in 2003), and even that one marked a notable bucking of the trend at that time.

• Like 1

The total lack of buzz and hype for Jumanji reminds me of three other also-ran sequels to lightning in a bottle surprise hits - Alice in Wonderland, Ted, and Secret Life of Pets.

The same percentage decrease as Alice gives it 93m domestic. 

The same percentage decrease as Ted gives it 153.5 domestic.

The same percentage decrease as Pets gives it 174 domestic. 

Together, that averages out to about 140m domestic, which seems low compared to how recent it is compared to the last one....but feasible given the total lack of buzz. I would bet it has the kind of opening that makes it seem like a 140m domestic grosser, but rebounds over the holidays with family legs for like 175m.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have Jumanji pegged for a $42M opening next weekend but wouldn't be surprised if it went lower. Guess we're about to find out if the comedy sequel curse (22 Jump Street, The Hangover Part II, and Pitch Perfect 2 being the exceptions, though the third movies in the latter two franchises would end up collapsing a bit to make up for that) is coming to claim another one.

10 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Coming back this weekend for the historic and record-breaking Playmobil run.

Sadly Oogieloves looks out of reach with Friday coming in 20% (i.e. 27k 🤣) over Asgardian estimates.    

Doesn’t look to have a good shot at Oogieloves adjusted or Delgo unadjusted either, both low 500k.   

Now Delgo adjusts to 650k, so 2nd lowest adjusted is totally within our sight 😛 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Thing being that may be including Thursday numbers as well

I didn’t realize there were previews included in that number, but after googling there indeed were some Thursday showings :rofl:    

Imagine if it’s 35k previews and 132k True, shot at records would be a lot better. Is Saturday looking weak enough?

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

MTC1 just under 125% increase. MTC2 around 109% increase. Normally MTC1 is closer and so I am thinking around 17-17.25 range for saturday. Let us see how things go tomorrow when we get estimates.

In line with what JediJat had said very early.

17.25 (+120%)

11.50 (-33%)

= 36.59 (-57.5%); 339.5 cume

Thankfully not 34-35 odd like Deadline, pro.BO thought after Friday. Gitesh went even more conservative with 32.

19 years back Potter1 - Fri od before Thanksgiving - added around 4.15x this weekend (it's 3rd) to the cume. It's final multi was around 3.52x.

339.5 + 36.59*4.15 = 491 (3.77x)

Even though after 3 weekends Frozen2 is leading Potter1's multi - 2.61x vs 2.43x - to emulate that Christmas run is too much to expect from Frozen2.

339.5 + 36.59*3.5 = 467.5 (3.59x) ... Dory did 3.60x and TS4 did 3.58x