Eric Burnett

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Dec 20, 2019 1 $90,000,000   4,406 $20,427   $90,000,000 1
Dec 21, 2019 1 $47,500,000 -47% 4,406 $10,781   $137,500,000 2
Dec 22, 2019 1 $38,000,000 -20% 4,406 $8,625   $175,500,000 3

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $175,500,000 Details
International Box Office $198,000,000 Details
Worldwide Box Office $373,500,000

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

And again, some here showcase the fact that they have no legitimate clue how movie making and the decision process works... what seems easy after the fact and through preconceived doesnt usually jive with how the system works. 

Yet after Solo bombed look at what Disney decided to do. Imagine what 9 underperforming will do in that case.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, narniadis said:

Of which they couldnt do anything with at that point? I mean the Carrie Fisher situation came at such a point that no legitimate changes could have been made besides scrapping the whole film and starting over. 

If they can reshoot the entire third act of rogue one 5 months before release they can do something 

Edited by boomboom234
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

So it’s the 12th biggest OW of all time. 👩🏻‍💼Seems like a fairly big opening to me. 🤷🏻‍♀️

3rd biggest OW of 2019, behind Endgame & TLK.

Obi-Wan: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Disney and Lucasfilm executives suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Nova said:

If Star Wars fans hated TLJ so much wouldn’t they want to go and watch TROS to prove a point? I mean since JJ Abrahams is the messiah and Rian Johnson is the devil. Wouldn’t you guys want to support the former’s movie just to stick it to Rian? 

TROS box office has more to do with it getting a meh reaction than anything else. TLJ was not hated to the point where its “sequel” is going to open to $50M less than it. It had great reviews and I’ll say a meh reaction overall from audiences: some people loved it and some people didn’t. It wasn’t like everyone who walked out of that movie hated it. 

I know someone smart is gonna bring up the drop between TFA and TLJ to prove that people didn’t like TLJ but did any of you consider that there was always going to be that big of a drop between the two films? TFA was so hyped up. TFA is not the standard for Star Wars films at the box office. It was an exception. It would be equal to people asking why the next Avenger’s movie saw a huge drop from End Game.

It’s pretty much an agreed fact that if people don’t care for a movie, then they likely won’t show up for a sequel. TLJ is no exception 

and since when did anyone think JJ was the messiah? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I really have no eggs in the basket. I’m not a Star Wars fan. I’m not a TLJ fan. I’m actually getting a headache arguing with people over this so I’m leaving it alone. 

But as I keep saying regarding this topic: one “bad” film in a sea of very solid ones (TFA, Rogue One, Han Solo) is a reason to stop supporting a franchise. Okay then. 

TLJ wasn’t all of it. Of the new films, I thought Rogue One was good, TFA was a mediocre rehash but had interesting characters and that made a sequel made by someone else look interesting. Then I saw TLJ and didn’t like it as a film in its own right, nor did I think it opened things up for interesting things in the future. Ended up finally seeing Solo and thought it was kind of humdrum, and a film with no reason to exist. So the other films were mediocre but made me hope for improvement. TLJ killed that hope for me, and at least a couple of my friends.

None of us (In the group of seven I talked about earlier) are reddit warriors either. I don’t often discuss TLJ or any of the new films online, because doing so seldom leads to anything good. We’re just ordinary moviegoers (ok I’m a lifelong Star Wars fan that read bookshelves of novels, played computer games, etc, but the others aren’t) who pretty quietly decided we didn’t like the new direction and it pretty much soured us on new Star Wars stuff in general (although one guy has been brought back by the Mandalorian).

Since everyone else is doing them, I’ll do my rankings, but I’ll do them by tier like that guy earlier in the thread (order in tier simply by release dates).

A tier: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi.

B tier: Rogue One.

C tier: Revenge of the Sith, The Force Awakens, Solo.

D tier: The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, The Last Jedi.

Edited by raniE
  • Like 1