Eric the Ape

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

2 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

I wish Warner Bros wold have bought Star Wars

Considering their fumbling of DC this decade until just now they're turning the corner and the way The Hobbit films ended up plus now the Fantastic Beasts scenario no thanks

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

re-read what I said. It had a hook, but it wasn’t the biggest film of all time was it? It didn’t even make two thirds of what a 1997 romance made - and it was the final Star Wars! 
TROS if it had the hook that movie had I don’t doubt would have opened bigger. Plus like I keep saying, it’s the 5th Star Wars film in 4 years. Sith was the 1st in 3 years. 

Sith adjusted is $540 million. By the standards of the current conversation some of you are trying to spout - I mean what a failure!! The last Star Wars film only making $540 million!? Disaster. What happened to Star Wars?

There’s better discourse to be having about how this film is doing. I know it. Lots that are being shouted into a corner know it, but just can’t be bothered to engage. 

Carry on telling me ROTS was this juggernaut and TROS is a failure with that adjusted number. It doesn’t add up does it. 

Look, i know what you mean, but the first two Star Wars trilogies had a consistency, first one being the biggest, the second the lowest and the third one in the middle. Even their percentages are amazingly similar:

A New Hope: 307 (counting first release only, of course)

ESB: 209 (68% of ANH)

RotJ: 254 (82% of ANH)

TPM: 431

AotC: 302 (70% of TPM)

RotS: 380 (85%)

Now, let's see this:

TFA: 936

TLJ: 620 (66% of TFA)

TRoS: to finish at 82% (what made RotJ) would need to make 768m, and to reach RotS would mean 796m, which we know is impossible now. 

So, this is just bad, and 99% of this is due to The Last Jedi.

Edited by mcclaine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Handling multi billions dollar franchises was always gonna be way more difficult than making pseudo risky movies like Marriage Story, Uncut Gems, Little Women or Parasite movies with a total lack of ambition in almsost every way. 

Their sole amition & excuse for existing is to cater and please cinephiles, critics & award bodies, a tiny but loud minority that dictates what good taste is.

My point being :

Disney s tentpole strategy was always gonna be the most difficult and riskier one.

Having a brand means nothing.

Making movies for general audiences is the most difficult  art form there is.

It is also th emost noble.

That s why most of the pseudo artist (say the word with a french accent) directors cinephiles fap to don't even try to make those films, it scares them.

Parasite was a blockbuster film in Korea. 

6 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Hhm. I’m actually one of those folks who really liked Hobbit: BOTFA. 👩🏻‍💼

And i think The Hobbit is an underrated fantasy trilogy.

I said that in regards to their opening weekends trajectory

I like both trilogies and both endings

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Their recent track record with fantasy epics hasn't been too hot either with The Hobbit trilogy and Fantastic Beasts flicks.

I actually appreciate The Hobbit trilogy

more now. They had lots of flaws but still try to fit with and honor the previous movies and mythology. Definitely didn’t shot the bed like the Fantastic Beasts  and new Star Wars movies have 

Well, this year may have sucked ass at the box office, but in terms of quality, there's a good chance it is remembered just behind 2007 as the best year of the young millennium so far IMO. And that's having not even seen Uncut Gems, Little Women, Pain and Glory, or 1917.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I guess for me, I have a hard time understanding the mentality behind one single movie turning people completely off a series.  Like you're done and that's it, no more interest.  You've spent years and years being a fan, in many cases, literal decades being a fan, but that one movie just killed all the interest for you.

I don't like the prequels and I think TROS is quite a bad film, but I'm not swearing off Star Wars because I didn't like it. 

I just don't get it.  

There are always people you can’t understand. it’s just a movie. What’s wrong to hate one? If a product doesn’t satisfy me any more, i’ll stop using it and choose alternate products. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Well, this year may have sucked ass at the box office, but in terms of quality, there's a good chance it is remembered just behind 2007 as the best year of the young millennium so far IMO. And that's having not even seen Uncut Gems, Little Women, Pain and Glory, or 1917.

I'd give the edge to '17 over this year tbh