Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

39 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

To be fair....over $1B+ WW for any movie is still as impressive as long as those said movies have a huge appeal.

There’s never been a $1B-grosser that had numbers that were deemed disappointing.

Don't forget about Age of Ultron 😛

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

What went wrong? TROS faced stiff competition from Jumanji, Frozen, Bombshell and the biggest movie of them all: CATs. No movie can survive an onslaught of that kind of competition. 

Pack it up boys, case closed.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

@Force Ghost Cap we are allowed to talk against Rian, right? 

TBH, Rian has 000000000000% to do with The Rise of Skywalker.  I don't see why we have to talk about him pro or con.  

But I doubt that's gonna stop people.

🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Just now, Force Ghost Cap said:

TBH, Rian has 000000000000% to do with The Rise of Skywalker.  I don't see why we have to talk about him pro or con.  

🤷‍♀️

Ok, will not talk about him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Force Ghost Cap said:

🤷‍♀️

Okay but when were you gonna tell me you changed your name? I leave for a couple of weeks and suddenly you change your alias? Smh 

• Haha 1

WWW imo is pretty simple:  

1) They made 3 movies, instead of a trilogy  

2) they weren’t able to correctly balance nostalgic elements with fresh elements that appeal to newer markets and demos.    

Now to be fair, 2) is very tough. But I think there were several unforced errors there since the acquisition. And 1) was a huge, totally unnecessary blunder that seemed like a blunder to many people as early as 2015/16/whenever they made clear that there was no strong overarching vision for the ST.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Lol, Grace Randolph is having field day with TROS under performance. 

I am 100% sure she is secret member of Fandom Menace who acts like Woke. 

She dislikes KK so I’m pretty sure this underperformance is going to egg her to make over a dozen videos about this. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

WWW imo is pretty simple:  

1) They made 3 movies, instead of a trilogy  

2) they weren’t able to correctly balance nostalgic elements with fresh elements that appeal to newer markets and demos.    

Now to be fair, 2) is very tough. But I think there were several unforced errors there since the acquisition. And 1) was a huge, totally unnecessary blunder that seemed like a blunder to many people as early as 2015/16/whenever they made clear that there was no strong overarching vision for the ST.

I want to say that them sandwiching these spin-off films in between their main trilogy films might’ve also played a factor in TRoS underperforming, but there were only two of them, and at least one of them was pretty well liked, so I don’t know how accurate that assessment would be.

Regardless, this should hopefully hammer the point home to Disney once and for all that cranking out a Star Wars film every single year is not a viable strategy.

WWW - they didn't create interesting characters and coherent plot but nostalgia goggles prevented everyone to see that problem because OMG SW IS BACK. Nostalgia is also why TFA maxed out. It wasn't going to hold the water forever and the dam burst in the next movie when it became clear it's an empty story with paper thin characters who are just poor knock-offs of old ones. By the time last movie rolled out, people stopped to care and it din't help that other franchises offered their own space opera alternatives (GOTG, Thor, IW/EG space shenanigans). On top of that, TROS marketing released 50 spots that somehow failed to identify the hook for the movie. I think that they thought seeing Rey, Finn and Poe together was the main hook but who really cares about that? "They fly now" was literally the staple of the marketing. Opening on the lower side of expectations should tell you how successful that was. I mena, yeah, TLJ blah blah. But the cast was bitching about being separated in TLJ as if that was the worst thing about that movie (it isn't even Top 50 complaint that people have), so they expected that their working together would put more butts in seats. KEK. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I want to say that them sandwiching these spin-off films in between their main trilogy films might’ve also played a factor in TRoS underperforming, but there were only two of them, and at least one of them was pretty well liked, so I don’t know how accurate that assessment would be.

Regardless, this should hopefully hammer the point home to Disney once and for all that cranking out a Star Wars film every single year is not a viable strategy.

I think we’ve seen that smaller entries done right can bolster big entries rather than deflating interest in them. But the spinoffs didn’t really support or lead into the Saga films, and in retrospect that seems like a mistake.    

Also, I think the way Disney handled the EU was a big mistake. It was gnarled and tangled and self-contradictory in parts, so I think severing it from canon like they did was pretty necessary. But it’s also a rich resource of many different types of stories that have been told in the SW universe and data on which of them worked poorly/alright/great. I think mining them more directly for inspiration and doing loose adaptations (the way CBMs treat their comic canon) would have been — and will be, for Disney SW Phase 2,3, etc — a good idea to appeal to hardcore fans and more casual audience. 

• Like 1

Iger has to take some of blame by first promising shareholders a Star Wars film by 2015 when it wasn't even in preproduction yet and also being too aggressive with the release of Star Wars films every year when to be frank Lucasfilm and Kennedy weren't ready for it. 

And now we know the GA wasn't either. It wasn't like (and he knew this if you read his book) buying Marvel or Pixar which already had a infrastructure in place to make multiple movies at a time. Lucasfilm had to pretty much reconstruct its movie division under Disney. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Doubt it. In the Heights and West Side Story come out within the next year and seem like easy hits. Everyone will probably just go about pretending that this doesn't exist.

In The Heights making more than Cats would have been unthinkable before but it could happen. I would say studios will be learning from what went wrong with Cats especially Universal who have Wicked in development and probably don't want to see that screwed up. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1