charlie Jatinder

NEW YEAR WEEKDAYS THREAD: New Year Day Final Trend P 26. Happy New Year.

2 hours ago, ZackM said:

I'm thinking around 13M today for Star Wars.  Nothing selling this evening.

Of course, right after I posted this we got a burst of evening sales.  Maybe 14M is still possible.

Edit: I see the burst was driven by a discounted chain.  Sticking with 13M.

Edited by ZackM
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@TwoMisfits just remember the big reason that nothing else opens this weekend is due to the 2 week hold and still being all wide over MLK in 2 weeks (weekend 2 for films that open next weekend.) There is an established method to the madness of a bland first January weekend.

Yes, but the 2 week hold ended for everything except the Dec 25 releases...movie folks were worried the last Star Wars would be bigger and leggier than it turned out to be...it's a shame no one could respond to that and fill a slot b/c Jan 10 is packed with releases...anything opening this weekend will still be there MLK weekend b/c it will be beating a lot of Nov/Dec holdovers by default...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I would say BvS did worse than that. It's the reason why JL flopped so in the long term, BvS didn't actually make any profit for WB.

If we're going there we have to look at the entire picture which is BVS launched the entire DCEU franchise which includes: Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman 1984, not to mention the huge boost in comic book sales and toy sales for such brands. The DCEU is the main franchise currently at WB, and the DC brand got a huge boost in other media thanks to that, and it all started with BVS.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yes, but the 2 week hold ended for everything except the Dec 25 releases...movie folks were worried the last Star Wars would be bigger and leggier than it turned out to be...it's a shame no one could respond to that and fill a slot b/c Jan 10 is packed with releases...anything opening this weekend will still be there MLK weekend b/c it will be beating a lot of Nov/Dec holdovers by default...

Not based on past behavior. Now the argument could be made that the reason for the long rut of behavior is that nothing of consequence opens on 1st weekend of January. Hence the film that does tends to lose out as much or more than Christmas films still playing well, and or to expansions of limited films from December. 

This isnt an issue because of Star Wars, January has behaved the same way for the 15+ years I have followed box office. So its definitely not a new thing. 

And the 2 week hold, you misunderstood me... that 2 week hold means that opening weekend 2 of January is more advantageous than weekend 1 as far as the holiday weekend of 3 is concerned. Has nothing to do with the December releases. 

14 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Frozen 2 Monday :4.45m

Tuesday :4m 

Wednesday : 5.2m

Thursday :3.1m

Friday : 3.93  

Saturday :4.72

Sunday :2.83  weekend :11.5m

Total after January 5 : 449.8m

11.5*4 =46m 

Total Domestic : 495m 

10 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Tuesday 2nd Trend

SW: TRoS: $13mn

J2: $8.25mn

F2: $4mn

😏😏😁

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

If we're going there we have to look at the entire picture which is BVS launched the entire DCEU franchise which includes: Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman 1984, not to mention the huge boost in comic book sales and toy sales for such brands. The DCEU is the main franchise currently at WB, and the DC brand got a huge boost in other media thanks to that, and it all started with BVS.

Man of Steel says “hi”.

• Thanks 1