filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Erivo's single nomination may have just about staved off another #OscarsSoWhite backlash, but we'll see. 

The same thing could have been done with nominating Lupita, or Awkwafina in place of one of Scarlett's noms but yeah we shall see.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

eh he didn't get a dga nomination but he was getting nominations he was always in the running. HUGE surprise is for someone totally out of left field. nowhere on the level of the cold war guy getting nominated last year.

The fact that he got in over Taika, Baumbach and Greta, regardless of precursors - given the potential backlash - IS a huge surprise.

Banderas showing here, given his precursors, is also a big surprise.

Also no editing for OUATIH is a surprise - first real sign of weakness. Was thinking OUATIH/Mendes split, but after this... Parasite might just grab the BP.

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

The fact that he got in over Taika, Baumbach and Greta, regardless of precursors - given the potential backlash - IS a huge surprise.

Not really much of a surprise. Taika getting a DGA nom pretty much removed him from the conversation and the Gerwig backlash started too late.

Only snub I find to be a real bummer is Taron after how charming he's been throughout Rocketman's press tour through awards season, plus he was actually really good in his movie (much better than, uh, last year's Best Actor winner).

Also The Farewell getting nothing at all stinks, but can't say I'm too surprised.

Just now, Hatebox said:

Erivo's single nomination may have just about staved off another #OscarsSoWhite backlash, but we'll see. 

Should have been Lupita and awkwafina, take your pick which blondie shouldn't have made the line up.

That said, can't say I'm not satisfied:

Joker absolutely killed it with major categories and techs so huge egg in the face of anti-Joker mob.

Scarlett with 2 noms - yes!

Joaquin and Adam - yes! 

KO for original script!

No pandering to outrage mob in Director category!

Parasite killed it! It's got Editing that perceived frontrunners 1917 and OUATIH missed. 

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

i guess just for you, but i certainly wasn't surprised.

antonio getting nominated was nice. best performance in that category for sure.

Just now, Eric Dolittle said:

Only two nominees still isn't good, but there's also Antonio Banderas

Yeah, he did occur to me but a lot of people (rightly or wrongly) would say Spanish = Caucasian. 

Not that I think any of this actually matters, but then... I am white. 

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i got 5/5 with editing. knew they wouldn't go for hollywood. like tarantino's other post-menke films there's some weird editing choices there.

An editing nom on the other hand is pretty important for a Best Picture win and not getting a nom there decreases OUATIH's chances of winning BP.

• Like 2