filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Awkwafina was robbed because Parasite stole The Farewell's thunder and they were not going to rally behind 2 Asian movies but only one. Parasite prevailed. Erivo got nominated because of the importance of her role even though her reviews were way below Lupita's and Awkwafina's. I'll never forgive them Lupita snub. 

Terrible take

• Like 1

I think Joker has a good shot at BP. It got noms in categories where I felt the movie was mediocre-weak (screenplay, cinematography, editing), seems like something the PGAs would go for (big profit), and Twitter backlash does not equal Academy backlash (Green Book). :jeb!:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So Bates took Jlo's spot. Dern, Johansson and Robbie were locked long time ago. Pugh was always going to get British push so BAFTA locked her. Bates was on the bubble but obivously pushed Jlo out.

Egerton snub was expected in the shadow of Malek win so he became the one to hit all precursors but miss AMPAS. britsh ralled behind Pryce. 

Hanks finally makes it! :lol:

Acting winners are locked - Dern, Pitt, Phoenix, Zellweger. The rest of them can relax and enjoy the free drinks. 

The race is between 1917 and OUATIH unless BAFTA/PGA go for a different winner together. It's interesting that both 1917 and OUATIH missed Editing which is usually needed for Picture winner. 

Unless DGA goes for another, Mendes has Director in the bag.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Still think 1917 will win Best Picture instead of Parasite. If OUATIH wins PGA, I'd say OUATIH wins at the Oscars.

The fact that 1917 got a best screenplay nomination also gives it a huge boost as far as best picture goes. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Wow, Uncut Gems got completely snubbed. So did The Lighthouse, but I knew that one wouldn’t get any awards buzz. 

The Lighthouse picked up a tech nom.

I loved Uncut Gems but really, any Oscar love felt like a pipe dream at best heh.

The farewell  complete snub just further prove my point.

No way academy is going to acknowledge two Asian theme film in a year, no matter how different they are.   

Unlike last year both Roma and Cold war was overperformed, this year the movies about American white people just got too strong.

Even parasite is performing at the expected level  

It's quite impressive that the big studios has got loads of nominations, it's a shifts from the years when the smaller studios like A24 or Fox Searchlight would dominate. 

Frozen 2 not being nominated for best animated is a surprise, I think Laika might get its first Oscar win with Missing Link. 

Really happy for:

Scarlett Johansson (Marriage Story, haven’t seen Jojo Rabbit and don’t fancy it). Renée Zellweger, Charlize Theron, Margot Robbie and Florence Pugh (haven’t seen Little Woman, but she was great in Midsommar and FWMF- what a year). 

plus Joker, obviously, leading the pack with 11 nominations. And OUATIH. 

Cats should’ve been eligible for best song, and I stand by it. 

Jennifer Lopez was snubbed, IMO. 

17 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

if Hollywood loses the PGA to the Irishman next week, then it's back to Parasite v Irishman. 

1917 got that screenplay nom but no acting so it can get director, I don't think it'll win best picture

But what if Joker wins at the PGA? :Venom:

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's quite impressive that the big studios has got loads of nominations, it's a shifts from the years when the smaller studios like A24 or Fox Searchlight would dominate. 

It was one of those years where the big studios got most of the good projects. Ironically with all the doom and gloom talk about how the non-tentpole movie is dead we ended up having a whole bunch of non-brand hits this year.

• Like 1