filmlover

Mean Girls | 1/12/24 | Paramount | based on the Broadway musical based on the movie | Tina Fey to write/produce | moving from streaming to theatrical

On 9/23/2023 at 9:17 AM, filmlover said:

Just like how The Color Purple might fail when people can just watch the classic?

These movies are taking a very different approach to their material and will mostly succeed (or fail) based on their own merits. I imagine the trailer for this is bowing in a couple of weeks as a Taylor attachment: the trailers before that are going to be very female-targeted.

The problem is that Broadway is still fairly niche, and the OG Mean Girls fans might not take well to recasting iconic roles. Mean Girls is also much more contemporary compared to the original The Color Purple. Mean Girls feels closer to a decade old rather than almost 20 years old because of memes and a very dedicate fanbase. 

15 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, just cave and do Mean Moms with the OG cast people. Even LiLo has expressed interest in recent years. Seems to just be McAdams who hasn’t expressed excitement over it, but I’m sure a big paycheck could say otherwise. 

She did say during the Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret promo tour that she wanted to have a cameo in this* so she's not against returning to the property!

* unless she's misdirecting and she actually is in this.

Semi-related since the movie came out exactly one week before Mean Girls '04 did and is also considered a minor classic now but a musical is also in the works for 13 Going on 30 and will premiere next year. I imagine if it's a hit Sony will waste no time giving it the green light for a film adaptation (though even if it doesn't, they'll probably remake/reboot that movie before the decade is over regardless).

'13 Going on 30' Musical Adaptation Set From Film's Original Writers (variety.com)

i can understand the Broadway industry turns popular movies or books into musicals to have easy success but this new trend to turn a movie already turned into a broadway show into a movie again seems pointless to me.

Why people should love a clearly cheapier production (i mean was made for P+) and the same movie and even same jokes but with song in it. Seems they are just destinated to hate watching and nothing more. 

54 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

i can understand the Broadway industry turns popular movies or books into musicals to have easy success but this new trend to turn a movie already turned into a broadway show into a movie again seems pointless to me.

Why people should love a clearly cheapier production (i mean was made for P+) and the same movie and even same jokes but with song in it. Seems they are just destinated to hate watching and nothing more. 

This is probably the easiest way to bankroll a movie version of a Broadway musical these days after notable critical and commercial flops like Cats and Dear Evan Hansen (the musical of the latter closed in NYC less than a year after the movie came out, with many citing a failed film version slowing ticket sales and souring everyone's perception of it as the main reason). The fact so many non-musical movies are getting the Broadway treatment these days goes to show that the supposed Age of Creative Bankruptcy we're living in isn't exactly limited to Hollywood heh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Hairspray and The Producers that were the first of this kind had the same adaptation road from movie cult hit to broadway juggernaut and then back to big budget movie. Even if only one of them ended up working, they had the same thinking behind them. Take the cult thing that actually blew up in another medium and remake it as a big movie musical.

This and Color Purple are the exact opposite of that. They both got turned into musicals because they were iconic movies, said musicals didn't exactly set Broadway on fire and now they are getting back to cinema still trying to capitalize on the popularity of 20 and 40 year old movies. They might end up succeeding if they 're good/crowdpleasing but the IP recognition by itself won't do much for either of them.

Mean Girls reunion! Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Seyfried and Lacey Chabert appear to capitalize on iconic movie by filming an ad in LA - after talks stalled about cast returning for musical adaptation over money

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12603831/Mean-Girls-reunion-Lindsay-Lohan-Amanda-Seyfried-Lacey-Chabert-appear-capitalize-iconic-movie-filming-ad.html

• Astonished 1