Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (14 Feb - 17 Feb) - Sonic 58M/70M

4 minutes ago, cJS said:

Alita comp is better.

:gold:  

I guess we will have an idea from Sat and Sun %s, but I think this will play much closer to kid/family comps than Alita of all things.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cJS said:

Alita actually trended better than expectations last year. I think Alita is better comp than LEGO 😛

Alita’s overall open was solid (relative to expectations) but the Mon % was baaaaaad. Made some sense for an adult skewing movie on a holiday that’s more school than work (e.g. JW2 also -48%) but Sonic previews:OD indicates more actual family business. Maybe it will play as more of a middle ground of Maze Runner: Death Cure -27% or AQM -32%, but I think that will still take Mon over 10 more likely than not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cJS said:

Alita comp is better. 40-48% Monday drop I must say.

Nah, even if its between Alita and the worst of A's comps its still 30% and considerably better than Alita which didnt last beyond the weekend (and its holiday hold showed it.) 

Obviously Sonic won't skew as kid friendly as an animated flick (or Peter Rabbit) but barring an age skew OR being fandriven obsessed (which we will see in Saturday's numbers) its not touching 40%. 

Also Alita is nowhere near a similar enough comp even based on type of film. 

3 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Alita’s overall open was solid (relative to expectations) but the Mon % was baaaaaad. Made some sense for an adult skewing movie on a holiday that’s more school than work (e.g. JW2 also -48%) but Sonic previews:OD indicates more actual family business. Maybe it will play as more of a middle ground of Maze Runner: Death Cure -27% or AQM -32%, but I think that will still take Mon over 10 more likely than not.

Out of likes but yeah, same thoughts in my post (of sorts lol). 

44 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This massively successful turnaround for Sonic both critically and commercially from the absolute disaster the initial marketing/look made seem inevitable is a landmark moment for how studios respond to marketing criticism form audiences. Will be interesting to see the effect this has on that aspect of the industry going forward. Could be both good and bad.

Already rolling my eyes a little about how for some reason this film is being championed as one "for the fans". I prefer if we don't give the internet that much power over creatives.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

If BOP Fri is 5.9 don't see how it does only 15.3 FSS.

5.9 + 6.5 (+10%) + 4.2 (-35%) = 16.6

optimistically,

5.9 + 7.1 (+20%) + 5.0 (-30%) = 18.0

More likely to be flat or drop than increase 10%. I would imagine its closer to 16m than not if the 5.9 holds but that would be the upper end (imo). 

Then again, Saturday could go up if it didnt max out its potential for the VD inflated Friday. 

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Already rolling my eyes a little about how for some reason this film is being championed as one "for the fans". I prefer if we don't give the internet that much power over creatives.

maybe things as evil as the original sonic design shouldn't exist

It's hard not to wonder how Sonic would've done had they stuck with that original design. Obviously wouldn't have sunk to the embarrassing flop levels of, say, Cats, but the fact it's looking to potentially outgross Detective Pikachu (arguably the most vastly overpredicted movie pre-release of last year) after such a rough start marketing-wise is quite a comeback story.

• Like 3