sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Invisible Man 28.2, Sonic 16.26, Call of the Wild 13.36

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Really? I'm surprised people say they didn't predict Moss' success after Mad Men. I watched a couple of seasons and she was the standout. Jon Hamm is doing ok for his talent too.

I'm pretty sure everyone thought Jon Hamm would be the one to have the strongest career after the show but while he's not been starving for work, most of the projects he's found himself in have been mostly of the "nobody cares" variety. I feel like people also expected Hendricks to see a nice boost after the show concluded but her most notable credits since have been that NBC show that no one talks about, Toy Story 4, and (yikes!) Fist Fight.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Does anyone know if Moss' role in Taika's next movie with Michael Fassbender is a major role like ScarJo's in Jojo Rabbit or a small one? She's coming for an Oscar next!

I don't think Next Goal Wins is gonna be a big Oscar player. I think Neon will try to push Moss hard for Shirley. When so many actors win Oscars for acting in crappy biopics (like Renee Zellweger winning this year), Moss should at least get nominated for having a great performance in a great movie like Shirley (which I think is a biopic, or is it a fictional story about Shirley Jackson?).

Edited by lorddemaxus

Jon Hamm played in some potential good projects, but most ended up being disappointments. He's like a curse for a movie.  I'm also surprised he's not booking lead roles. He's got some talent and the looks.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think Next Goal Wins is gonna be a big Oscar player. I think Neon will try to push Moss hard for Shirley. When so many actors win Oscars for acting in crappy biopics (like Renee Zellweger winning this year), Moss should at least get nominated for having a great performance in a great movie like Shirley (which I think is a biopic, or is it a fictional story about Shirley Jackson?).

The crappiness of the biopic is generally the key to winning. Being a Josephine Decker movie Shirley will likely make about as much money as Her Smell and get even less awards buzz.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Jon Hamm played in some potential good projects, but most ended up being disappointments. He's like a curse for a movie.  I'm also surprised he's not booking lead roles. He's got some talent and the looks.

Him signing on for another series (preferably a quality one on HBO or Hulu or Netflix) within the next year or two seems likely.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Queen. Pretty sure no one predicted that she would end up having the best career of Mad Men's ensemble after the show ended.

I did, Moss was younger and could believably change up her appearance compared to her Mad Men days more than Hamm/Hendricks/Slattery, which always helps. Also, she was brilliant on the show and managed to draw something interesting out of Jessica Pare (Megan), even Hamm couldn't do that. Of course, there was always the chance it would be another Alias, where the person who played a sidekick character ended up becoming the show's breakout movie star. So, the Mad Men equivalent of Will Tippin would have been...Ken Cosgrove, accounts? Anyway, not surprised Elisabeth has the most acclaimed career post-show.

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Poor Vincent Kartheiser. Instantly reduced to being the sixth-billed cast member in various kinds of dreck after playing the best character on that show. The true invisible man.

Mad Men winning ONE Emmy for acting in its entire run was a real shame,  but Kartheiser never being nominated for Pete Campbell was a disgrace. Huge sign the industry wasn't dying to make him the next big thing at the time, and that's sadly panned out post-show.

The first death in the US from coronavirus was announced yesterday, it's a big country but you wonder if/when theater attendance will drop.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The first death in the US for coronavirus was announced yesterday, it's a big country but you wonder if/when theater attendance will drop.

I imagine if the numbers really start to soar we'll start to see something but at the moment life will continue on as normal. Hard to say what things will look like even a week from now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

So you gonna be comparing every movie to BoP for the rest of the year?

BOP doing ok was expected to get 350. Sonic maybe half that. It's shocking. Just like bad boys for life killing it. Just ignore if you can't handle comments.

Edited by cdsacken

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, Dolittle is gonna win the WW match up going away...damn...and I thought it would at least go down to the wire...

So, it seems like the 1st 2 months of movies (all without China) will go Bad Boys 3, Sonic, and Dolittle WW...not what I would have expected before the start of the year, and definitely not in that order...

Oh dear God that's crazy. But Doolittle wins the biggest net loser competition of the 2 by a lot.

• Haha 1

Are people still talking about how BoP is doing? Honestly, even though I certainly wasn’t expecting it to do as poorly as it’s been doing, it’s tough to argue that there really wasn’t much hype for the film. Being a spin-off of a film that nobody likes was always going to be a blow against it. 

I'm worried BoP is going to turn into the new "trigger" word on these Forums like TLJ, where you can't really bring it up in any sort of negative light without getting called out by someone for trolling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Moss career surge isn't a surprise because she occupies the same spot for women that Driver and Cumberbatch do for men - a non-traditionally looking star.  They carve a nice niche for themselves for they have interesting screen presence, and don't compete with traditionally looking stars for roles. Also, she's likely better at picking roles than Hamm which is the most important thing for anyone's career. Right roles. I expect she gets nominated within next few years. Now that she opened a movie on top of acclaim, she's going to be even more in  demand.:bravo:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Moss career surge isn't a surprise because she occupies the same spot for women that Driver and Cumberbatch do for men - a non-traditionally looking star.  They carve a nice niche for themselves for they have interesting screen presence, and don't compete with traditionally looking stars for roles. Also, she's likely better at picking roles than Hamm which is the most important thing for anyone's career. Right roles. I expect she gets nominated within next few years. Now that she opened a movie on top of acclaim, she's going to be even more in  demand.:bravo:

Is Benedict Cumberbatch considered non-traditional looking?

Honestly if the right role comes her way I could see Moss clean-sweeping through an Oscar season quite easily within the next 10 years. She already almost pulled a clean-sweep (SAG was the only thing she lost) on the TV side with the first season of The Handmaid's Tale.

Edited by filmlover

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm worried BoP is going to turn into the new "trigger" word on these Forums like TLJ, where you can't really bring it up in any sort of negative light without getting called out by someone for trolling. 

It is likely trolling because if it wasn't attached to the "DC" name people wouldn't still be discussing it's run.  It's a no brainer. The hot takes of "DC is in trouble" follow..  pretty standard per this forum's discourse. 

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

It is likely trolling because if it wasn't attached to the "DC" name people wouldn't still be discussing it's run.  It's a no brainer. The hot takes of "DC is in trouble" follow..  pretty standard per this forum's discourse. 

I wouldn't say it's so much about the fact that its tied with DC per-se, but more that it's tied to one of the biggest franchises in the industry right now. It's a movie with high expectations, high awareness, so yea of course people will talk about how much it came in below those expectations. Nobody's going to talk about Call of the Wild in a year, because no one expected it to gross 200M or whatever. 

27 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is Benedict Cumberbatch considered non-traditional looking?

yes. many consider him weird looking and he often plays "weird" characters as a result. Traditional handsome are Superhero Chrises (Evans, Hemsworth, Pratt, Pine) for example. Quarterback/jock types with proportional facial features and often square jaws. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1