sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

11 minutes ago, misafeco said:

I wonder how much time will it take to dethrone The Passion of the Christ as the highest grossing R rated movie of the US. Deadpool came close.

Matrix 4...?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There's a huge difference between HTTYD 3 and the latter two. Just in terms of the environments, water effects, and lighting, Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 blew away any other animated movie released last year. TS4 cost more because Pixar actually develops their own technology for their animation (part of the reason why so many people, me included, would love to work for Pixar's tech division) while WDAS just uses Pixar's tech. 

DWA's movies used to cost as much as WDAS and Pixar films but had to reduce costs due to films underperforming. 

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

How is The Way Back looking? @charlie Jatinder as well, if you’re still awake.

Morning it was at

MTC1 - overall 1468 shows 18362/192652 216555.27 174882.26 post 6PM 686 shows 10198/90413 134782.55 105051.71

MTC2 - overall 1249 shows 11990/157399 112763.81 89604.92 post 6PM 525 shows 5810/66333 66968.59 46191.89

I still think 3m OD. Let us see where it is in the evening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Morning it was at

MTC1 - overall 1468 shows 18362/192652 216555.27 174882.26 post 6PM 686 shows 10198/90413 134782.55 105051.71

MTC2 - overall 1249 shows 11990/157399 112763.81 89604.92 post 6PM 525 shows 5810/66333 66968.59 46191.89

I still think 3m OD. Let us see where it is in the evening. 

So around $10m OW?

2 hours ago, misafeco said:

Thanks!

Why the hell do Pixar movies cost this much? Is it the price of quality animation? They are certainly not better looking than most of the stuff Disney Animation or Dreamworks produces.

Pixar has according to google around 1,400 well payed employee and they release about 1 movie a year, that start there movie with a $140M price tag and after that you have voice actor, travel and external expert engaged for a specific project, some external studio for some not in-house stuff. The big electricity bill/Epyc rendering farm/Maya type licensing and so on.

I think that in good part why they often cost so much, how long they take to make them, when you hear story that 3 year's into a movie they change a major element and restart (like they did for say Zootopia for a costly Disney one), it is easy to see how those 5 year's project amortized among all of them, up the cost really high. 

And pixar has a tradition to develop technology to will rise the price a movie (and then be available for all the next one), they made a very expensive backpack simulation for the Monster Inc. University prequel, something I doubt other would do.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

So around $10m OW?

I think 10-11 mil sounds right if that 3 mil holds. I think walkups might be better than expected though with good reviews and the more walkup heavy older audience the movie has been targeting (if I remember Call of the Wild managed to do better than what morning presales suggested too).

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I think 10-11 mil sounds right if that 3 mil holds. I think walkups might be better than expected though with good reviews and the more walkup heavy older audience the movie has been targeting (if I remember Call of the Wild managed to do better than what morning presales suggested too).

That's  on par with Just Mercy and that had limited release. 

I loved MacFarland USA, for all its clichés. Honestly, the inspirational sports drama formula really works for me. Hoping another one can break out like the Blind Side again one day. But for the past ~6 years they've sort of been stuck around the 10M opening ceiling. 

• Like 2

Lmao, Onward got cancelled here last minute because of the LGBTQ character. I've lived in this country for almost 10 years now and this has never happened. The really, really odd thing is that It Chapter 2 and Birds of Prey got releases eventhough both had explicity LGBTQ characters (they did cut the kiss in the former though). I honestly can't wait to leave this place (moving to America later this year).

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I am disappointed for the fact that a sub-$50M OW is pretty low for a Pixar film but it is not surprising. 

Pixar and WDAS use different rendering systems. Hard to deny they look visually far better than say Illumination films. DreamWorks films can look spectacular too but some of their films they've cut costs probably due to the underperformance of a number a films in the last 10 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, Onward got cancelled here last minute because of the LGBTQ character. I've lived in this country for almost 10 years now and this has never happened. The really, really odd thing is that It Chapter 2 and Birds of Prey got releases eventhough both had explicity LGBTQ characters (they did cut the kiss in the former though). I honestly can't wait to leave this place (moving to America later this year).

Everyone who was gonna see Onward should just buy tickets to The Way Back now

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What country do you live in?

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Will they ban Eternals as well? this could be bcos you are in a country where animation movies dont do well anyway. 

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Will they ban Eternals as well? this could be bcos you are in a country where animation movies dont do well anyway. 

Animation usually does pretty well where I live though. Spies in Disguise ran longer than Star Wars TROS for example. Remember sitting in full screenings for Frozen 2 and TS4 too.

Edited by lorddemaxus

33 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The really, really odd thing is that It Chapter 2 and Birds of Prey got releases eventhough both had explicity LGBTQ characters (they did cut the kiss in the former though). I honestly can't wait to leave this place (moving to America later this year).

Both I imagine had some R-rated equivalent ? I imagine the propaganda minister/whatever it is worry about child being exposed to LGBTQ stuff.

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But the reference hasn’t gone down well with censors in some countries, sources have confirmed. Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia have all banned the film due to the reference. The film, released regionally this week, is nowhere to be seen on cinema schedules in those territories. Other Middle East markets such as Bahrain, Lebanon and Egypt are showing the film

It's not banned here but i bet the scene is censored, like with the one in EG. :ph34r:

They also cut the couch scene from Parasite when i saw it last month but that was expected :bagoverhead:

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

There's a huge difference between HTTYD 3 and the latter two. Just in terms of the environments, water effects, and lighting, Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 blew away any other animated movie released last year. TS4 cost more because Pixar actually develops their own technology for their animation (part of the reason why so many people, me included, would love to work for Pixar's tech division) while WDAS just uses Pixar's tech. 

I didn't know the two studios are cooperating this closely. Do you have a source?

27 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

It's not banned here but i bet the scene is censored, like with the one in EG. :ph34r:

They also cut the couch scene from Parasite when i saw it last month but that was expected :bagoverhead:

The Endgame scene also wasn't cut here.

Edited by lorddemaxus