sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

FYI morning PS update

MTC1 - overall 4523 shows 47148/852935 690978.94 578804.58 post 6PM 2153 shows 29108/414060 463716.08 380114.14

MTC2 - overall 4381 shows 47290/696152 502170.27 401219.08 post 6PM 1684 shows 23668/275332 292078.40 207226.89

Not bad increase from yesterday night. MTC2 looks like over indexing. As I said earlier looking at 10-11m true friday. 

How is The Way Back looking? @charlie Jatinder as well, if you’re still awake.

I would like to suggest that there might be a difference between holdovers and Onward, with regards to covid19 fears. A lot of the response to covid19 right now is all about managing risk, and on a personal level, how scared/brave you're feeling. For example, it'll be real interesting to see how many fans show up at the Seattle Sounders game on Saturday night. That's a fairly large crowd of people that you'd be exposing yourself to. (Of course, exposing yourself to a public crowd is also an entirely different crime.)

I would imagine that there would be some movie fans who would recognize a different level of risk associated with going to see an older movie with 15 other people where the crowd is pretty spread out, versus going to see a brand new opener with 150 other people crammed in there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, misafeco said:

What is the budget of Onward? I couldn't find any information on it. Is there a chance Disney will lose money?

Probably $175M, solid possibility of it losing money too (especially if it opens at the lower end of tracking, or worse) sadly.

Generally speaking with animation... if a budget isn’t given yet I assume:

$75-80M for Illumination and Warner Animation Group

<$100M for Sony Pictures Animation

$100M for Blue Sky

$125M for DreamWorks

$150M for Disney Animation

$175M for Pixar originals

$200M for Pixar sequels

and for the most part it’s a pretty good guess, with a few exceptions.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

Probably $175M, solid possibility of it losing money too (especially if it opens at the lower end of tracking, or worse) sadly.

Generally speaking with animation... if a budget isn’t given yet I assume:

$75-80M for Illumination and Warner Animation Group

<$100M for Sony Pictures Animation

$100M for Blue Sky

$125M for DreamWorks

$150M for Disney Animation

$175M for Pixar originals

$200M for Pixar sequels

and for the most part it’s a pretty good guess, with a few exceptions.

Thanks!

Why the hell do Pixar movies cost this much? Is it the price of quality animation? They are certainly not better looking than most of the stuff Disney Animation or Dreamworks produces.

9 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Thanks!

Why the hell do Pixar movies cost this much? Is it the price of quality animation? They are certainly not better looking than most of the stuff Disney Animation or Dreamworks produces.

Uh? Better looking is in the eye of the beholder, but the visuals and tech that Pixar is constantly working on costs money. 

4 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Thanks!

Pixar are based in Emeryville, California and they do develop a lot of new technology for each film which drives up the cost. DWA outsources parts of their films which does bring down the budget. 

Illumination animate all their films in Paris, WAG uses several animation companies like Reel FX, Animal Logic etc who are based in Texas and Australia as well as Sony Pictures Imageworks who are based in Vancouver and who also make SPA's films. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The last week or so has been an eye-opener for the GA in regards to Covid-19. Lots and lots of new cases in every country. This won't stop anytime soon. The virus is only just beginning to tear apart Europe and America with Asia already devastated. People aren't going to risk themselves by going to the movies. That is easily avoidable for most of the GA. Onward is the first of many big blockbusters that will suffer. A Quiet Place 2 and Mulan are next.

Weekday movie business here was in the trash. This week we had the first cases of Covid-19 confirmed and a few schools are already closed. Fear is installed. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Uh? Better looking is in the eye of the beholder, but the visuals and tech that Pixar is constantly working on costs money. 

Other animation studios also spend money on improving the visuals of their next movie.

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

What? The animation in Toy Story 4 alone was insane.

Of course it was. Animation reached an entire new level in the past years. But if you compare Toy Story 4 with other big budget 2019 animation like How To Train Your Dragon 3 or Frozen 2, I don't see the difference in animation quality which would justify the price tag.

3 hours ago, AdrianL said:

Anything over 50m would seem decent to me. Onward looked really unappealing.

40s would be eh. Below 40 eek. 

The trailers made the film look incredibly mediocre; frankly, it was the reviews that made me decide to go see this.

And the good reviews might not be enough to overcome the weak marketing.

And Pixar sort of lost if "Rolls Royce " standard a long time ago.

And "Soul" looks much more interesting;I think some people decided to give this a pass and save their money for Soul.

I think there are reasons for this underperforming other the the Corona Virus.

1 hour ago, kitik said:

I would like to suggest that there might be a difference between holdovers and Onward, with regards to covid19 fears. A lot of the response to covid19 right now is all about managing risk, and on a personal level, how scared/brave you're feeling. For example, it'll be real interesting to see how many fans show up at the Seattle Sounders game on Saturday night. That's a fairly large crowd of people that you'd be exposing yourself to. (Of course, exposing yourself to a public crowd is also an entirely different crime.)

I would imagine that there would be some movie fans who would recognize a different level of risk associated with going to see an older movie with 15 other people where the crowd is pretty spread out, versus going to see a brand new opener with 150 other people crammed in there.

Out of likes...but I agree...

My spouse, for his classes, is using the CDC "social distance" paradigm right now...and you can do that in a theater with 10 folks, but not a sold out one...

11 minutes ago, misafeco said:

How To Train Your Dragon 3 or Frozen 2, I don't see the difference in animation quality which would justify the price tag.

There's a huge difference between HTTYD 3 and the latter two. Just in terms of the environments, water effects, and lighting, Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 blew away any other animated movie released last year. TS4 cost more because Pixar actually develops their own technology for their animation (part of the reason why so many people, me included, would love to work for Pixar's tech division) while WDAS just uses Pixar's tech. 

• Like 3