Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

Stats after #100-71

Yearly breakdown: 2011 (2), 2012 (3), 2013 (5), 2014 (5), 2015 (5), 2016 (3), 2017 (2), 2018 (1), 2019 (4)

Directors with multiple films on the list: Sam Mendes (2)

Actors with multiple characters on the list: Cate Blanchett (2); Emily Blunt (2); Chris Evans (2); John Hurt (2); Brie Larson (2); Jennifer Lawrence (2); Brad Pitt (2); Amy Ryan (2); Octavia Spencer (2)

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 71

Hide contents

LO60Fec.jpg

"He said you had a story that would make me believe in God."

175 points, 13 lists

directed by Ang Lee | US, UK, Canada, Australia, Taiwan | 2012

The Pitch: An Indian man named Pi tells a story about surviving a shipwreck and finding himself adrift on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger.

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 12 Placements: 1

Metacritic: 79

Box Office: $609m WW

Awards: 4 Academy Awards, including Best Director, out of 11 nominations

BOT History: #5, Top Movies of 2012; #4, Top Movies of 2012 Revisited (2017); #98 (2013), #88 (2014), #100 (2018), Top 100 Movies of All Time; BOFFY for Best Visual Effects, out of 6 nominations

Critic Opinion: "Life of Pi is spellbinding while it lasts. Lee's film can be appreciated as many things -- a post-Darwinian meditation on coexistence as the key to survival, a reflection on the spiritual nature of suffering and transcendence, a beguiling bait-and-switch on the vagaries of belief itself." - Ann Hornaday, The Washington Post

BOT Sez: "The crux of this film is about God and faith... you as a viewer, just as you would follow any faith, are supposed to determine what story you choose to believe. The gruesome, matter-of-fact story with no fantastical elements, or the story that has transfixed you for two hours. The one where God listens to Pi's plea for help and gives him rest and a means to continue his journey. The one that SHOULD NOT be filmable but was still brought to life somehow. The viewers know the situation is the same in both stories- the humans have the same roles as the animals, both are coming of ages stories (Pi = tiger), the ship still sunk in both stories- but the journalist chooses the 'better' story, the one that resonates with him more. I truly believe that this film is Lee's commentary on narratives and fictional storytelling." - @Gopher

Commentary: We wrap today up with Ang Lee's spiritual-minded adventure drama that became one of the highest-grossing non-franchise films of all time and netted him a second Best Director Oscar. A risky proposition on paper, the $120m-budgeted film opened softly, but attained strong word-of-mouth and post-release reputation thanks to its message, Lee's assured handling of the material, and Claudio Miranda's CG-augmented 3D cinematography.

lost-at-sea-pi-patel-begins-to-make-an-e

That’s very low for Life of Pi :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 73

qyG88Nq.jpg

"This is the revolution, and you are the mockingjay."

172 points, 13 lists

directed by Francis Lawrence | US | 2013

The Pitch: Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark become targets of the Capitol after their victory in the 74th Hunger Games sparks a rebellion in the Districts of Panem.

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 12 Placements: 1

Metacritic: 76

Box Office: $864m WW

Awards: MTV Movie Award for Movie of the Year

BOT History: #3, Top Movies of 2013; #16, Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies of the Century (2014); BOFFY Award for Best Thread 

A well deserved top 100 placement, the first movie from my top 5 to appear (it was #5). 4 more to go. Maybe it had more enthusiastic support from the forum members back in 2013, but I'm glad to see it's still acknowledged as a great movie which it is.

It proved that after the end of the HP saga the YA genre can still deliver if you don't ignore the grown up audience. The movie is fast paced, smart, has a good social commentary and a peak Jennifer Lawrence performance.

• Like 5

Number 70

Spoiler

P0fO8ex.jpg

"That's where God lives!"

176 points, 13 lists

directed by Terrence Malick | US | 2011

The Pitch: A middle-aged man's childhood memories of growing up in 1950s Texas are juxtaposed with the birth of the Universe.

Top 12 Placements: 2
Metacritic: 85
Box Office: $61m WW
Awards: Palme d’Or - Cannes Film Festival; FIPRESCI Award for Best Film of the Year; 3 Academy Award nominations
Critic Opinion: Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life" is a film of vast ambition and deep humility, attempting no less than to encompass all of existence and view it through the prism of a few infinitesimal lives. The only other film I've seen with this boldness of vision is Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey," and it lacked Malick's fierce evocation of human feeling. [...] The film's portrait of everyday life, inspired by Malick's memories of his hometown of Waco, Texas, is bounded by two immensities, one of space and time, and the other of spirituality. "The Tree of Life" has awe-inspiring visuals suggesting the birth and expansion of the universe, the appearance of life on a microscopic level and the evolution of species. This process leads to the present moment, and to all of us. We were created in the Big Bang and over untold millions of years, molecules formed themselves into, well, you and me.

And what comes after? In whispered words near the beginning, "nature" and "grace" are heard. We have seen nature as it gives and takes away; one of the family's boys dies. We also see how it works with time, as Jack O'Brien (Hunter McCracken) grows into a middle-aged man (Sean Penn). And what then? The film's coda provides a vision of an afterlife, a desolate landscape on which quiet people solemnly recognize and greet one another, and all is understood in the fullness of time.” - Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
BOT Sez"The Tree of Life" has been compared to "2001" and not for nothing - it shares some of its images, the use of music and the focus on picture instead of story. Bit I might add two other films to which you might compare this: Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" (mostly for the camerawork), and Aronofsky's "The Fountain" (not primarily, but also because of the macro-camerawork). While 2001 had kind of a story while philosophising about the universe, "Tree of Life" needs no story to medidate upon the poignancy of life in face of death (same theme as "Fountain", to a lesser degree "Barry Lyndon"). By letting us know at the very beginning of the film that the brother will end up dead age 19, the whole portrayal of (more or less) happy family life carries a bitter taint but also poignancy, reminding us (me at least) that everyone will end up dead sooner or later and you better take care not overlooking the importance of your and your people's days. "- @IndustriousAngel
Commentary: As caught by certain snoopy mods, one of today's 10 is also one of the decade's most daring and original movies, namely Terrence Malick's long-gestating fifth feature that saw him moving even further away from narrative and channeling his personal memories and pain into an impressionistic whirlwind of sights and sounds that interspersed the intimate with the cosmic. The director would, unexpectedly, spend the rest of the decade further experimenting with this style to results that became increasingly divisive even among his fans, but none of it has diminished The Tree of Life's impact.

p09mOU93UojL17peA2REJLhJYT0OwoEw7s0x4JkM

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 15
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 70

Reveal hidden contents

oh no

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 70

Reveal hidden contents

50 slots too low but I’ll take it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Tree of life is a motion picture  that I watched 2 hours of When I was a teen but didn’t get anything out of it besides pretty visuals. 

Had a similar experience as a teen - I understood what it was going for, just found it flawed and hard to connect to - but I got a lot more out of it on rewatch a few months ago.

• Like 2

Number 69

Spoiler

DUsrMJm.jpg

"All power to all the people."

186 points, 19 lists

directed by Spike Lee | US | 2018

The Pitch: In the early 1970s, an African-American detective of the Colorado police department infiltrates the local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan.

Metacritic: 83
Box Office: $93m WW
Awards: Grand Prix - Cannes Film Festival; Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, out of 6 nominations
BOT History: #5, Top Movies of 2018; 6 BOFFY nominations
Critic Opinion: "It’s alternatingly comic, heroic, tragic, horrifying, ridiculous, dead serious, clear-eyed, and confused; it shifts into moments of documentary and even essay film, but it’s also one of Lee’s more entertaining and vibrantly constructed works. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a movie exploit its tonal mismatches so voraciously and purposefully." - Bilge Ebiri, The Village Voice
BOT Sez: “It educates and makes you laugh in some parts and then makes you cringe and feel ashamed at being a human being in other parts.  My favourite part of the film, and perhaps the most harrowing section of the whole film is the juxtaposition of the two gatherings at the end.  The Klan welcoming their new members and the planning of the bombing and them the black power gathering where Harry Belafonte tells the story of the young black man convicted of raping a white woman by an all white jury in less than 4 minutes.  This story and the telling of it almost brought me to tears.  Belafonte tells it in a calm manner, the complete opposite of the first speaker at the beginning of the movie.  This scene is like the final fight in a Rocky movie or the final act in a Mission Impossible film.  The whole film is building to this one moment and it's the crescendo.  [...] This is a film that takes place in the 70's and yet it could be about events that happened yesterday.” - @baumer
Commentary: After spending over a decade working largely outside the mainstream, Spike Lee came roaring back with this dramatization of an irresistible true story that didn't skimp on the opportunity to draw unfortunate but necessary parallels between its 1970s events and the horrors of Trump's America, most notably with a final scene that casts much of the deliberate rousing entertainment that preceded it in a that much more despairing light. In a painfully ironic turn of events, parallels between past and present were later confronted by the director when he finally won his belated competitive Oscar but - 30 years after the snub of Do the Right Thing - was forced to watch Best Picture go to Green Book.

f4c5f9dfee7686819866e7d760b824753ee93209

• Like 20