Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

Number 68

Spoiler

WQ286lz.jpg

"We were on the verge of greatness. We were this close!"

187 points, 14 lists

directed by Gareth Edwards | US | 2016

The Pitch: A group of rebels embark on a mission to steal the plans of the original Death Star.

#1 Placements: 1
Top 5 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 2
Metacritic: 65
Box Office: $1.056 billion WW
Awards: 2 Academy Award nominations; Empire Awards for Best Film, Director and Actress, out of 9 nominations; Saturn Awards for Best Science Fiction Film and Best Director, out of 11 nominations
BOT History: #7, Top Movies of 2016
Critic Opinion: "It’s almost wholly satisfying — witty, warm and entertaining — a film in which fatalism isn’t a joke, where pitiless death is doled out by Empire and Rebellion, where those deaths have weight and meaning, where suspense is genuine." - Roger Moore, Movie Nation
BOT Sez: "Comparing with The Force Awakens, both movies really reveal the director's strengths and weaknesses. Rogue One, for example, highlights Edwards' slick visual eye (the visuals in the final assault were incredible, more than anything in Force Awakens for me, honestly.) and development of atmosphere, fear versus hope, and tension. That said, it unfortunately gets at his struggle with creating compelling characters; aside from Yen, no one really gets anything fun or inventive to do here, but for a film built far more on building mythology and showcasing the unseen heroes of the rebellion, it does an awesome amount." - @Spaghetti
Commentary: The first of today's billion dollar grossers (how many will there be?), our third yearly domestic champion, and something of a dark horse, given it's attracted plenty of criticism upon release even here. But any doubts anyone may have had about it making the list proved insignificant next to the power of Star Wars and its fandom, of the film's widely praised third act, and of Donnie Yen, Ben Mendelsohn and Forest Whitaker doing all the things that they're doing here.

krennic-rogue-one.jpg

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 17
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

51 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 69

Reveal hidden contents

Nice

• Like 2

Number 67

Spoiler

I2TrGJB.jpg

"We don't know what we don't know."

187 points, 15 lists

directed by Kathryn Bigelow | US | 2012

The Pitch: The manhunt for Osama bin Laden from 2003 up to May 2, 2011.

Metacritic: 95
Box Office: $132m WW
Awards: Academy Award for Best Sound Editing, out of 5 nominations
BOT History: #6, Top Movies of 2012; #76, Top 100 Movies of the 21st Century (2015); #12, Top Movies of 2012 Revisited (2017); 4 BOFFY nominations
Critic Opinion: "Ms. Bigelow's direction here is unexpectedly stunning, at once bold and intimate: she has a genius for infusing even large-scale action set pieces with the human element. One of the most significant images is of a pool of blood on a floor. It's pitiful, really, and as the movie heads toward its emphatically non-triumphant finish, it is impossible not to realize with anguish that all that came before – the pain, the suffering and the compromised ideals – has led to this." - Manohla Dargis, The New York Times

"There’s no discussion in Zero Dark Thirty about the efficacy of torture—but also no talk about victory, jurisdiction, or justice. No one in the film ever suggests capturing and trying bin Laden. What the characters do talk about is process, probability, and the relative value of information. Warfare becomes data, and then data becomes the object of warfare, supplanting its original goals. When Osama bin Laden is killed in Zero Dark Thirty, his death is abrupt and anti-climactic. No burden is lifted. The Navy SEALs quickly load him into a body bag. He's just another corpse. They're more interested in his computer hard drives—the data that will allow the War on Terror to continue. [...] The film's main characters never do anything that could be interpreted as heroic; instead, what is always identified is how they— single-minded Maya, sadistic Dan, careerist Joseph Bradley (Kyle Chandler), over-confident Jessica (Jennifer Ehle)— function as agents of a vast, impersonal system." - Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, MUBI

BOT Sez: “Dense, taut, gripping. The ultimate procedural. Lots of information thrown at you and you're left to grasp bits and pieces and fill in what's going on, but it's never confusing. It reminds me in some ways of HEAT, in others of ZODIAC. But it shies away, for the most part, of going for the easy target, and it confronts head on exactly what it means to do this sort of covert op.” - @Plain Old Tele
"Very, very, VERY good. Pacing is perfect. Chastain is very good, Clarke is great, the ensemble is ginormous, and Mark Strong plays someone with hair." - @4815162342
Commentary: Up next is Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal's follow-up to their Oscar-winning The Hurt Locker, initially developed before the 2011 killing of Osama bin Laden, then promptly reworked to take the shape of a decade-spanning procedural. The result was a critical hit and Bigelow's biggest commercial success, while the debate surrounding its depiction of torture became the ground zero of modern thinkpiece controversies regarding onscreen presentation of thorny subject matter.

zero-articlelarge.jpg

• Like 17
  • Astonished 2

Side banter topic while we wait for entries: What movies this decade made you cry or resulted in a profound emotional reaction this decade?

For me I’d have to say

Silence

The Farewell

Life of Pi

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Inside Out

True Grit

Okja

The Revenant

Mad Max: Fury Road

Short Term 12

Amour

The Tree of Life

Arrival

Little Women

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Fruitvale Station

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

Number 66

Spoiler

BRGcr16.jpg

"It's what it is."

188 points, 18 lists

directed by Martin Scorsese | US | 2019

The Pitch: An elderly former mafia hitman recalls a life of violence and betrayal. 

Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 94
Box Office: N/A
Awards: 10 Academy Award nominations
BOT History: #10, Top Movies of 2019; BOFFY for Best Adapted Screenplay
Critic Opinion: "For the first two and a half hours of its three-and-a-half-hour runtime, The Irishman is clever and entertaining, to the point where you may think that’s all it’s going to be. But its last half-hour is deeply moving in a way that creeps up on you, and it’s then that you see what Scorsese was working toward all along: A mini-history of late-20th century America as filtered through the eyes of a smalltime guy who needs and wants to believe in his own importance and capacity for decency—and who can’t see, though Scorsese can, that it’s the end of a life that tells the truth about the middle." - Stephanie Zacharek, TIME
BOT Sez: "It may be long and expensive but it's an intimate movie at heart, and it's never boring. De Niro is terrifically understated and the moments where he shows the tiniest bits of fear and remorse hit really hard. I don't usually get annoyed about award snubs but this was surely worth an oscar nom, for the scene where he calls Hoffa's wife alone. It may be one of the best depictions of a sociopath I've ever seen. Pesci is great too - if this is his last movie it was totally worth it. 
This should probably be Scorcese's last mafia movie - it's a perfect sendoff and there's nothing else to really say after this. It's a lonely, un-glamourous life and no amount of cool montages with 70s music can stop what's coming." - @Hatebox
“I thought it played like an average Scorsese flick for the first half but that second half is absolutely masterful. I think Scorsese made an interesting choice by making it clear that Sheeran didn't have a motive. He doesn't know why he's doing any of what he's doing. He's no Jordan Belfort or Henry Hill who are clearly motivated by greed. It's why Paquin's "Why?" has such a strong impact. That's the first time Sheeran actually thinks about what he's done.” - @lorddemaxus
Commentary: The one that brought the boys back. Getting in business with Netflix, Martin Scorsese traded a wide big-screen release for a chance to make perhaps his biggest film yet, and (what very much plays like) his final statement on the subject matter with which he's become most associated, viz. organized crime, those who are involved with it, and their place in mid-to-late 20th century American history. With a blank check and the most iconic living faces of gangster cinema at his disposal, the director went the opposite way of playing the greatest hits, subverting his familiar jazzed-up style for a confidently moving but unmistakably somber story about age, death and the wreckage that becomes the legacy of a violent life.

the-irishman-5dd403fb6c3ff.jpg

• Like 19
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1

22 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Side banter topic while we wait for entries: What movies this decade made you cry or resulted in a profound emotional reaction this decade?

how much time you got? i'm an easy mark when it comes to that sort of thing. leave no trace might have been the one that hit deepest though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Number 65

Spoiler

kp3EKtF.jpg

"We have a Hulk."

190 points, 13 lists

directed by Joss Whedon | US | 2012

The Pitch: The Avengers assemble.

Top 12 Placements: 2
Metacritic: 69
Box Office: $1.519 billion WW
Awards: Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects; 4 Saturn Awards
BOT History: #8, Top Movies of 2012; #3, Top Movies of 2012 Revisited (2017); #8, Top Comic Book Movies of All Time (2019); 2 BOFFY nominations
Critic Opinion: "Like a superior, state-of-the-art model built from reconstituted parts, Joss Whedon's buoyant, witty and robustly entertaining superhero smash-up is escapism of a sophisticated order, boasting a tonal assurance and rich reserves of humor that offset the potentially lumbering and unavoidably formulaic aspects of this 143-minute team-origin story." - Justin Chang, Variety
BOT Sez: "One of the most fun and rewatchable blockbusters of all time. The humor, the action, the group dynamics, all the seamless introductions, the gloriously petty villain, coulson's death, nothing gets old in this movie despite the bajilion superhero movies that followed since. There's a weird alchemy going on here, everything fell in its right place in a way that's impossible to replicate. I'll never get bored of it. The avengers assemble 360 alone, is one of the most iconic shots of 21st century cinema." - @Joel M
Commentary: The movie that first demonstrated what a powerhouse Marvel and its cinematic-universe strategy could be, although 8 years on it ironically already feels like more of an exception than the norm for the studio, being a film written and directed by a single person with a readily identifiable voice. Much of the scoring process suggested that it would in fact miss the list entirely, with it attracting much less love than the more recent Avengers installments, but in the end it surged forward after collecting 2/3 of its eventual points from the last five lists it appeared on.

f732fa_be9376b988e14ee69664ec9ded745b34~

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 16
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

46 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Bridge of Spies. That ending hit me like a wallop. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Panda said:

For me I’d have to say

Silence

The Farewell

Life of Pi

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Inside Out

True Grit

Okja

The Revenant

Mad Max: Fury Road

Short Term 12

Amour

The Tree of Life

Arrival

Little Women

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Fruitvale Station

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

off the top of my head & then some

Capernaum

Short Term 12

Room (2015)

System Crasher (2019)

La La Land

Incendies

Fruitvale station

The Fool (2014)

Avengers Endgame & Infinity War

Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice 

Parasite

Joker

Interstellar

A Star is Born

Marriage Story

Her 

Your Name

A Separation

Wreck it Ralph (2012)

I Lost my Body

Wonder Woman 

For Sama

The Wailing

Shoplifters

Leave No Trace 

Logan

Still Alice

Victoria (2015)

Klaus

Carol

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Panda said:

There's definitely more, but Beale Street is the first one to come to my head. The final scene especially just broke me.

• Like 1