Ryan Reynolds

Don't Worry Darling | Sep 23 2022 | We’re Just Here For The Mess

After seeing this, it's kind of crazy that Wilde went on and on about the movie showcasing female pleasure...

Spoiler

All of that was actually happening as Alice was kidnapped by her man and drugged up in a simulation created by Faux Jordan Peterson. So empowering for women! /s No wonder Florence was annoyed by all the focus on that in the trailers.

Overall, it looked nice and Florence was great, Harry was fine, the script was just rough.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

So with all the buzz, the Harry Styles hype train, supposed "superstar" Florence Pugh etc, this film opened EXACTLY in the same range as all the other comps (Red Sparrow, A simple Favor,Baby driver etc, basically those used by thenumbers.com), despite having virtually no competition whatsoever this week?

I like to call FLOPS what they are. Will this make its 35 milion budget back teathrically? NO.

Studios can say what they like to twist the reality and hide their flops (we have come as far as studios claiming a BOMB like the Northman to be a success because it made its money back on PVOD, yet why don't they show the actual datas?) but ever since the pandemic hit we have heard milions of execuses. Yet none of those excuses mean a thing: if a movie is good, if a movie is meant to find its audience, it will find it.

Everything Everywhere all at once will greatly outgross this movie, this is all that needs to be said.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ban1o said:

lmao 

lol messiest cast ever 

This is a non scandal TBH. Actors, especially those filling out the world outside the lead and supporting characters, know there's a good chance their plotlines may just be gone in the edit.

Terrence Malick cut the main character of the book, played by Adrian Brody, out of The Thin Red Line because he felt the other characters had better arcs in the movie he had made.

• Like 3

This movie was great and I saw nothing wrong with Harry Styles. If I were to agree with one criticism is that it wasn't a very original idea, but that isn't a problem for me. Lots of derivative movies are great, and this is one of them. Doesn't change the fact that it's very entertaining, visually stunning, with a great cast and score, and Olivia is a director with complete control of the craft - this is not a disaster at all, the film is perfectly well made.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, grim22 said:

This is a non scandal TBH. Actors, especially those filling out the world outside the lead and supporting characters, know there's a good chance their plotlines may just be gone in the edit.

Terrence Malick cut the main character of the book, played by Adrian Brody, out of The Thin Red Line because he felt the other characters had better arcs in the movie he had made.

Yes, but that doesn't prevent actors from getting upset about it...after investing the time they do!  😁

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

did Harry try to fake an American accent at first and later they changed him to British since he couldn't pull it off?

It feels that way...

Spoiler

I can't see the screenplay bothering with the "He's only British in the simulation and that's why his accent is weird!" detail if Shia had remained the lead.

Or, they could have had Jack actually be British? I'm sure there are incels in England, too, and podcasts are global. Maybe making Jack and Alice Brits who never returned from a holiday would've somewhat explained what happened with her job (everyone who'd miss her is across the pond)?

Kiki Layne replaced Dakota Johnson in that role, I wonder if she'd have had a bit more to do? The Margaret role would've gone over differently in a number of ways with Dakota in it.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

On 9/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I like to call FLOPS what they are. Will this make its 35 milion budget back teathrically? NO.

I mean, yes it probably will yes. It's already made $31m after opening weekend. That's not to say it will be significantly profitable, if anything at this stage it looks like it'll wipe its face about evenly, but not sure what you're drinking here.

I didn't enjoy the film. Pugh and Pine are great but the film is at best the first two acts of a more interesting film and at worst the first single act of a *much* more interesting film.

Most of the film is, in retrospect, overwhelmingly irrelevant padding and laboured semiotics and by far the most interesting things that are going on are unseen. There is even a completely out-of-nowhere denouement moment from Gemma Chan's character that makes absolutely no sense except on a meta level of preventing it being so utterly, overtly obvious that the plot of the movie hasn't finished even though the movie is finishing. 

On 9/28/2022 at 2:11 PM, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I mean, yes it probably will yes. It's already made $31m after opening weekend. That's not to say it will be significantly profitable, if anything at this stage it looks like it'll wipe its face about evenly, but not sure what you're drinking here.

No it won't. It needs 2.5x the budget WW, which means it would need to gross 90 m. Right now it sits at 54 mil, and will likely end in the 70-80 milion range. It won't be a disaster and will probably breakeven once it hits streaming but theatrically it's a flop. And considering the lack of competition, Harry Styles and all of the buzz it got it is even more of a flop.

Rumor has it the studio was hoping for a 150 milion WW end just like Elvis, but it won't even reach 100 milions...

4 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

No it won't. It needs 2.5x the budget WW, which means it would need to gross 90 m. Right now it sits at 54 mil, and will likely end in the 70-80 milion range. It won't be a disaster and will probably breakeven once it hits streaming but theatrically it's a flop. And considering the lack of competition, Harry Styles and all of the buzz it got it is even more of a flop.

Rumor has it the studio was hoping for a 150 milion WW end just like Elvis, but it won't even reach 100 milions...

Your definition of flop is nonsense. 1-2 multiplier is 'flop' territory and a 1.5 multiplier with a decent domestic haul will make its money back eventually. By your reckoning here Batman Begins, Ghostbusters Afterlife, Dune and the First Avenger were all flops.

This will indeed end around 70-85 most likely, maybe pushing a bit more but yes, between 2 and 3x budget. Sorry, that ain't a flop, it's just not an unambiguous hit. Things can be middling, so-so. And Don't Worry Darling goes with Bullet Train, Nope & DC Superpets in that category. Okay for a director whose previous effort was a very low budget indie and with an only semi-established lead. Not great, and with the nonsense will not be a rousing piece of evidence for studios to go with Wilde. But decent.

Oh, and Elvis your frame of reference here had two and a half times the budget of this film, not an appropriate comparison at all. Indeed Elvis is only a modest amount over a x3 multiplier itself at $286m on $85m budget.