Ryan Reynolds

Don't Worry Darling | Sep 23 2022 | We’re Just Here For The Mess

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If this has an even halfway decent OW at this point, it will be due to all the bizarre drama surrounding it. Of course, that would also mean it would likely have pretty bad legs. 

This film's biggest box office draw should be Harry Styles.

Edited by John2015

4 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I think all the press will be very good for it. I honestly think it would be better for it if the reviews just kept getting worse. 

What's a case where bad reviews helped a movie's box office? People hopedicted that for Cats, and it opened under $7 million the weekend before Christmas. It was deeply weird and not just bad, to be fair.

Awareness has been boosted by the drama, and maybe there's time to cut some last minute ads saying, "See the movie everyone's talking about!" WB can't trumpet the good reviews like they'd hoped, so they might as well lean into what they do have (controversy).

From Harry's concert tonight:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

This kind of film is not sold by on stage antics.

The bad reviews have killed it, given the knid of film it is and the audeince it was aiming for.

Dramatics aside, just another Busted Oscar bait film.

I think the audience it was aiming for was young Harry Styles and Florence Pugh fans. That audience don’t care about the Oscar’s. 

Someone must’ve thought it could be awards baity, but it’ll probably end up doing better at the box office because of the star power and not the reviews. 

3 minutes ago, JWR said:

This movie has a $20M price tag. Even if it doesn't open big, I can't imagine it will be hard to at least break even.

Puck are saying it's closer to $35M. I'm guessing another source will confirm closer to release.

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I think the audience it was aiming for was young Harry Styles and Florence Pugh fans. That audience don’t care about the Oscar’s. 

Someone must’ve thought it could be awards baity, but it’ll probably end up doing better at the box office because of the star power and not the reviews. 

Don't Worry Darling is an original drama from a major studiio with a premiere at Venice. How many movies like that even get greenlit anymore, without some Oscar hopes? Other movies WB has premiered at Venice in the last 10 years: Gravity, Black Mass, A Star Is Born, Joker, Dune.

Sure, they want to appeal to fans of the leads (otherwise, they'd cast no names and save even more money), but awards hype was at least part of the plan for DWD's success. Now, they just have to hope the messiness going viral will do the trick.

• Like 1

My good sis, Olivia, is doubling down in a new VF interview (written before Shia leaked the receipts)

Wilde tells me in London, Pugh told her that she was uncomfortable with LaBeouf’s behavior. Wilde says she called LaBeouf herself and fired him: “My responsibility was towards her. I’m like a mother wolf. Making the call was tricky, but in a way he understood. I don’t think it would’ve been a process he enjoyed. He comes at his work with an intensity that can be combative. It wasn’t the ethos that I demand in my productions. I want him to get well and to evolve because I think it’s a great loss to the film industry when someone that talented is unable to work.”

After the film premier and leaks she refains from the word "fired" 

after Wilde and I spoke, the actor publicly disputed her recollection, saying, in an email he shared with Variety, “I quit your film,” and claiming he left the production because there wouldn’t be enough rehearsal time. After the premiere in Venice, as private messages between Pugh and LaBeouf are parsed giddily online, Wilde tells me this: “This issue is so much more nuanced than can be explained in private texts released out of context. All I’ll say is he was replaced, and there was no going forward with him. I wish him the best in his recovery.”

and finally a "source" that's totally not Olivia or WB clearing up the issue

A source with knowledge of the situation tells V.F. that the truth is a couple shades of gray: The actor was indeed unhappy with the limited amount of rehearsal time that Pugh had available, and Pugh, in turn, was uncomfortable with his intensity. LaBeouf is said to have given Wilde an ultimatum—she had to choose between him and his costar. Wilde chose Pugh. The tricky, and quintessentially Hollywood, part is that, to spare LaBeouf’s ego, she seems to have allowed him to believe what he wanted to believe: that he was quitting.

35 minutes ago, AJG said:

My good sis, Olivia, is doubling down in a new VF interview (written before Shia leaked the receipts)

After the film premier and leaks she refains from the word "fired" 

and finally a "source" that's totally not Olivia or WB clearing up the issue

LOL, was the video of Olivia begging Shia to stay on part of the ruse to spare his feelings? She will really just say anything to make herself sound good and it normally goes unchallenged by reporters, because feminism and the patriarchy, or something.

In this interview, Wilde also clears up the timeline with Sudeikis and Styles, so if her word is as trustworthy about that, as it about Shia's departure from the film...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Flopped said:

So as expected this is 100%, undeniably all a publicity stunt. 

You know, you keep saying this, so tell me this.  Why on God's Green Earth would Olivia Wilde want to light her credibility on fire in a blaze of glory?  Coz, I gotta tell you, no film is worth what has happened to Wilde's cred in the last couple of weeks.

Edited by Porthos
damn spell check
  • Like 6

Just now, CJohn said:

Between the devastating credibility hit and the bad reviews, Olivia Wilde's future is kinda screwed.

Unless it gets stellar WOM, or she's really lucky, Wilde's probably headed to Director Jail for a while. How long is anyone's guess.

But, sure, all a PR Stunt.

• Like 1